Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Kapap History?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    simon

First let me make it clear that I have no affiliation with either of these organizations. I just saw a post by someone and did a little research because I was curious.

And I know this isn’t a Kapap forum so calm down before I get scolded.

Here’s what I’ve found out so far

There are 2 major Kapap organizations

Kapap Academy which is located in California and headed up by Avi Nardia and Albert Timen now I think this is the same as IKF which is based in Israel. They seem to have lots of affiliated schools globally. Now these guys have a ton of information all over the net videos DVD’s books etc.

And then we have:

Kapap Israel or IKA
    This seems like a little tiny organization that hasn’t had the same marketing push the other guys have. If you read the history page of their website it says they are the descendants of Haviv Galisko who is essentially like their version of Imi. This organization is head up by Moshe Galisko the son of the founder and is based in Israel.

I can’t find any information where the first organization run by Nardia/Timen has had any ties to the one run by Mr. Galisko.

So here’s where my curiosity kicked in was Nardia/Timen a student of Galisko who branched off to form his own organization? Was Nardia/Timon a Krav Maga instructor who took the material he learned in the
    IDF expanded on it and then is just using the name Kapap? Is it something totally different? In essence where did the material come from?

In my reading various websites I often see it referred to as Krav Maga/Kapap which in itself is confusing to me. So maybe someone can clarify this question. Did KM and Kapap both start at roughly the same time and both have essentially the same growth path in the IDF?

Having never studied any Kapap I can’t really comment on the techniques but from the you tube videos it really doesn’t look much like the Krav I know.

So hopefully someone who’s non biased can come in and clarify a few things.

Maybe our freinds from Yamen can shed a little light on the subject.

ninja

Re: Kapap History?

good question, i’d like to have some more info too.

Greetings,

kraj

Disclosure: I am a Kapap student under Kapap Academy.
    That being said, there is no relation between Kapap Academy / Avi Nardia / Albert Timen / IKF and the IKA.
    While both systems share the same name, they are totally distinct.
    The IKF existed before the IKA, so the answer to your question is no – Mr. Galisko is not the instructor of anyone from the IKF / Kapap Academy.
    You can find the history of Kapap in various places online, including Wikipedia. An author by the name of Noah Gross is currently writing a book documenting the origins of Kapap. I do not know when it will be released, or if it is going to be released only in Hebrew, but it is a culmination of years of research.
    You can get more information on each of the organizations at their respective websites.
    Mr. Galisko heads the Galisko Budo Center International.

kirsten

Hmmm interesting question… I think I may go to the KPAP forum to find the answer….

jesse

Just a note that I found on the South American Krav Maga Website https://kravmaga.com.br/index.cfm?idioma=en. Click on “Special Techniques” and you can read:

“The utilization of the stick in Krav Maga started in the beginning of the 40s, by groups that fought for the independence of the State of Israel. The use of firearms was forbidden by the British Mandate, who controlled that region at the time, and because of this, the stick became an instrument of defense.

Within this scenario, a specific ramification of Krav Maga was created for the use of the stick; techniques of attack and defense for all circumstances, disarming attack against stick, stick against stick, stick against rifle, amongst others. At the time, this set of secret specific techniques of the usage of the stick in Krav Maga was popularly called Kapap. As the years passed, and with the independence of the State of Israel, the sticks were replaced by machine guns and the same exercises that used a stick were adapted for the usage of a rifle. During the 70s and up until de end of the 80s, the stick would reappear, this time in the hands of Israeli civilians that needed to defend themselves from terrorists armed with knives and firearms that were roaming through the streets and stopping the cars that passed, killing the passengers inside. The citizens began to walk around with batons, sticks and even baseball bats inside their cars. It was the return of the Kapap. As weird as it might sound, even with the high technology of modern-day weapons, the stick is still very efficient in many situations of our daily life. It still manages to intimidate aggressors, because it still represents an image of force and power in the hands of its user.”

The Association was formed by Kobi Lichtenstein and seems legitimate according to their website and wikipedia. All I am is an information gatherer so take it for what it’s worth. 😛 I doubt if it would be too hard to track down much simply because almost everyone involved is still alive.

Jesse

jc-bakom

Even if there in the web is some information, I think have not get the total differences yet according with the origins. It is still a bit confusing for me.

Just I have started to practice KAPAP here in SouthAmerica. Then tried to make some research. Anyway, at least from what I see, KAPAP is totally different with the kind Krav Maga which is taught here (mainly Global Krav Maga from Eyal Yanilov and SouthAmerican Federation of Krav Maga by Kobi). On my absolutely few experience, here Krav Maga seeks to counter attack and then scape, it is more for urban situations.

This does not happen with KAPAP, which is something more related to get a total control of the situation and even destroy your oponent with some broken arm or leg if you need to do this. It is something that prepares you for a real combat face to face (even it uses some close technics like ground jiujitsu); not just to scape. Maybe it is more related to militar use. It seems it looks more “deadly”.

I’m not sure, because I told I’m still confused, but perhaps this is linked with the idea that were those special forces -according with some info in the web- who practiced KAPAP? I mean in a fight I guess they should have kill or live?
    While current Krav Maga (at least with what we can watch in the schools) is more “normal” and for the day to day life? In a self-defense way?

rickprado

http://www.kapapacademy.com/

Krav Panim El Panim – KAPAP is the Hebrew acronym for Face To Face Combat. It is the original combat system of CQB, hand-to-hand combat and self-defense, employed by the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).

KAPAP fight tactics originated in the 1940’s and were used by the Palmach (Jewish Strike Brigades) forces in fighting for the independence of the State of Israel. These Palmach units later formed the core of Israel’s special units in the conventional military (IDF).

KAPAP ACADEMY was founded by Albert Timen who served in one of Israel’s elite Counter Terror units. Due to constant research in this field he and other Instructors have modified and upgraded the system to fit legal aspects of civilian self defense, as well as becoming applicable by Law Enforcement , Military and Security operators worldwide. The Academy is based in the United States and serves as an International Instructional institute operating and represented in more than 20 countries by local Instructors certified by KAPAP ACADEMY.

KAPAP ACADEMY is staffed by former official Israeli Military and Police instructors in Counter Terror combatives (LOTAR). It is an “all combat” system — a system totally dedicated to close combat and self-defense, with and without weapons. It has no sporting or competition aspect. Nor does it adhere to any classical/traditional school of thought.

Hmmm interesting question… I think I may go to the KPAP forum to find the answer….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: