Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Karate or Krav Maga?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

CNN’s running a story about elderly women in Kenya learning “karate” to defend themselves from attacks. Take a look at the pad they’re using and the techniques…”karate” really?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/10/16/ctw.mckenzie.kenya.karate.granny.cnn

mara-jade

Re: Karate or Krav Maga?

Um…that’s Karate?? I DON”T THINK SO if only basing it on that videorofl2

maddogmean

true…we’re only seeing a small part of what they’re learning…but I never learned to use a cane in TKD.

Anonymous

got to be krav , i train in a mix of krav , fairbairn and sykes get tough , defendo and ckm .

take a look at some of the strikes in striking techniques volume 1 and 2

link to volume 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-652qTIQ0g

link to volume 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSto8QtuPgo

i am very intrested to know what people think of the ” full rino ” at the 6 min mark on volume 1

thanks you
    francokrav

coda-vex

Really Franco? Don’t you think you’re going a little overboard with the shameless self promotion of your videos? Your “rhino” was put forth by you in another thread and comments were given to it, mostly that it sucked and left you way open.

Dude honestly, it’s great you’ve made videos, but posting them in every unrelated thread is getting to be a bit much bro. Maybe you’ve just gained your CKM “instructor” cert or you “own” RBSD class, but the free advertising is classless and not in the spirit of sharing and learning.

I’m not trying to be a prick here man, just stating the obvious.

cmetalman

Everybody ignore him and don’t make eye contact, maybe he’ll go away.

simon

quote cmetalman:

everybody Ignore Him And Don’t Make Eye Contact, Maybe He’ll Go Away.

Lol

bradm

Coda Vex,
    Good post. Just so you know, I doubt that Franco has had any formal training training in CKM other than buying a set of DVD’s. I know for a fact he is not an instructor nor has he attend any instructor courses. I don’t know about techniques from other systems he is showing in his videos.

The Rhino defense he shows was very poorly demonstrated. When performed correctly, it is an effective technique.

cmetalman

? BradM, I’ve never heard of the “Rhino defense” till now, is it just a defense move or is it actually a counter “offense” move, Any video

bradm

cmetalman,
    I am not totally proficient at the Rhino defense. It was demonstrated at a seminar I attended a while back and I did get to practice it a couple times. So I will explain as best I can. Think about being in a sparring match (as an example) and your opponent throws a hook or haymaker type punch to your head. One defense or block many fighters use is to quickly raise their arm so that their hand and forearm is protecting the temple, ear and back of head and their bicep is protecting their jaw. Note that at that instant the elbow is pointed forward like a rhino horn. Obviously the defender is not going to stay in that position and most likely counter with the other hand.

The Rhino defense is very similar. It uses the same technique, raising the arm to protect the head, while at the same time lunding forward towards the attacker with a palm heel to the face with the free hand. If the attacker is close enough, he’ll most likely eat an elbow along with the palm heel. If the attacker is stunned enough to stop the threat, disengage and get away. If not, you are in an excellent position to continue with elbow strikes, knee strikes or groin kicks.

The Rhino defense also works well if an attacker is swinging a club, beer bottle, etc to the side of your head. After executing the defense and the attacker is disabled or stunned, you can easily trap his arm and, with you free hand, remove the club or bottle and use it against the attacker if need be.

Wish I could explain it better, but hope it helps some to understand the defense better. Sorry I don’t have a video available to post.

cmetalman

BradM, thanks for the reply, I have used the defense as you discribed while sparring I’ve never heard it called “rhino defense”.I have heard it called the “OH SH!t” defense

bradm

“OH **** defense” I like that.

unstpabl1

Google Crazy bMonkey Boxing. Very solid hand position for street where gloves aren’t available to absorb blows

unstpabl1

quote MadDogMean:

CNN’s running a story about elderly women in Kenya learning “karate” to defend themselves from attacks. Take a look at the pad they’re using and the techniques…”karate” really?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/10/16/ctw.mckenzie.kenya.karate.granny.cnn

HHMM yeah the pad is krav…but where do you think krav techs came from…karate/kung fu. As to you saying you never learned cane in TKD, you would’ve learned it if you had taken the true korean self defense system Hapkido or the lesser known Hwarangdo…. the more you explore martial arts the more similar they get..i would’ve been happier with the demo had they focused the training on the bodies vulnerabilities as opposed to generic pad hitting

bradm

ATA Taekwondo has been teaching cane for several years now. When I trained in ATA TKD, if I remember correctly, the cane was taught to 4th Degree Blackbelts. The ATA has started teaching weapons at a much lower level, so the cane may be taught at a lower lever too. I don’t know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: