Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Keeping in Shape when no longer taking Krav classes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I haven’t taken Krav classes for about a year after getting laid off. Money is tight so I can’t take classes anymore. I don’t think that is going to change for a long time either.

Yet, I still have a Krav state of mind. I just got a much cheaper membership at the YMCA for my whole family for half the price it took me to take Krav classes for just myself. My kids can now learn to swim.

I want to know what sort of weight training is Krav friendly. I am guessing that free weights are probably not the right thing because they will make me slow.

I have all of the kick pads and punching pads at my disposal from when things were good yet I can’t find anyone who is willing to take my punches or kicks through them.

I have a heavy punching bag and I will start to use that again along with doing burpies and pushups.

Krav is a mindset to me and is about using whatever is at my disposal.

At this time, my local Y is at my disposal.

Any thoughts on what equipment I could use to continue to lay the foundation for me to be an effective fighter?

Thank you for your time!

don

Re: Keeping in Shape when no longer taking Krav classes

It really doesn’t take much extra stuff to kick your own ass workout wise. A jump rope, light dumbbells, medicine ball, maybe a pull up station, heavy bag is great, maybe a jump box or equivalent, treadmill great or even just a stretch of 25-50 yards straightaway, etc. There’s a ton of stuff you can do with just your body weight too. Don’t be afraid to be creative and make up your own routines. Take a look at crossfit, p90x, various workouts from well-known mma fighters on youtube, etc. Tailor, modify what you see or make up something similar with what you have available. Nothing wrong with free weights as long as you’re not just lifting heavy and slow – mix it up.

I’m a Y member also – have quite a few routines that kick my ass with minimal equipment there. E.g. a cycle of running, pull ups, push ups, sit ups, and burpees – you choose speed/distance for the run, how many push ups, sit ups, and burpees. You can rest between cycles or keep going. You can use the run as a recovery period. You can add difficulty by increasing speed/incline or by increasing number of reps or adding a medicine ball to any/all the exercises. E.g. Try running a lap, 5 pullups, 12 pushups, 20 sit ups, 10 burpees and right back on the treadmill for the next round. See how many rounds you can do – how much time do you have – change it up if you want to have a shorter more intense workout or longer more mellow workout – etc…

unstpabl1

Ah what Don saidthumbsup

If there is a heavy bag at the Y you can do round work or tie a pad to a tree or shadow box.

Krav Maga by david Kahn has a 12 week training program in it that you can use or use to create your own program

Ross Enamit has a couple excellent books on S&C. Great forum. Rosstraining.com i haven’t heard a bad word about him and he trains Pros

Go watch a few classes at your local Thai or boxing gym and borrow drills

Judo is something that even in LA can be really inexpensive. Of the 2 clubs I know of in my area one is $25 a month(4x’s a week) the other is $5 a month(2x’s a week) Look at local japenese centers if available

If you go to Radio Shack you can get a timer for like 10 bucks. Jump rope is the greatest conditioning tool ever. Only the lazy need a treadmill

Youtube has tons of vids on mma or krav type conditioning

explore. Make it up as you go. Just don’t do nothing. Especially in periods of loss or struggle this is the time to do the work…because by physical effort you feel better about yourself and that confidence will turn things around. Trust me I know this the hard way LOL

Hope it helps. Good Luck

Wow guys I feel better already. Thank you for understanding the point that I was trying to make. I really appreciate your thoughts on what is my reality. Thanks for being positive toward me and taking time to think this out.

unstpabl1

Trust me I understand where your coming from. I’m in the same boat. I love krav and the trainers at KMSO & NTC but it’s just outta my budget

but Krav is as much a mentality and an AGGRESSIVE way of dealing with problems

In the end we all have to do what we can with what we got, right now

keep punching

kirsten

Pick up a copy of Bas’ MMA Workouts. You can use them shadowboxing, with a partner or on a heavy bag. Plus you can chose from different 4 cd’s, each with 2 minute or 3 minute rounds. The include a boxing, thai boxing, all around fight and an all around workout. They will keep you in fighting shape!

You can pick up a set at http://www.basruttensystems.com in the pro-shop.

Thank you all!

kmman

See if you can find a decent Judo club in your area. Sometimes they can have very low tuition fees. You’ll get a great workout, it will help your ground game and it will keep you in the “arts”.

Here is a free resource you can use to keep in shape.

http://www.flashmavi.com

jburtonpdx

The Bas CDs are fun, as you get used to them, during the break sprint or do burpees…

This one is not a free resource but it can improve your punches and kicks. All you need is a laptop and you are good to go. thumbsup

http://www.goherman.com/

pfsfan

Why don’t you order a Krav Maga DVD or some Paul Vunak DVDS and work at home? Sandbag carries, burpees, sprints, stair running, etc are all good as well. Judo will also be a nice addition to the tool box.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: