Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics kick socky using shinbone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    g-v

Hey gang, wassup. I’ve got a question in regards to connecting a kick against a shin or say, someone’s head using my shin. It fookin hurts!!! I mean, it hurts my shin. Still. After all this time training such kicks.

Maybe I’m landing the kick wrong? What part of the shin should be making contact against the target?

prekarious1

The blade of the shin approximately 1/4 up from the ankle. Start doing it on a heavy bag first and steadily work your way up to harder and harder things from there to kill the nerves. Have also heard of people that use rolling pins to do this but I never liked that idea since its more difficult to target the area that you are actually kicking with.
    Take your time on doing this, if you go too fast then you will barely be able to walk once you get old. If you do this and then stop because you feel you don’t need it anylonger, the nerves WILL eventually gain feeling again and that is a pain like nothing I have ever felt before! I am going through the process for the 2nd time right now.

g-v

I dunno man, if I gotta be killing nerves to condition a kick, I’d rather just take that type of kick out of the equation altogether.

That’s where I’m at now…I generally don’t train such kicks because I can’t imagine using them in a self-defense scenario without hurting my game in the process.

But, I really really want that kick to work. 😆

anonymous

Maybe you could kick with the ball of the foot instead of with the shin. Or wear extra long boots for protection. I would probably not use a high kick to the head in a street fight, there are so many quicker, less visible and more effective things to do (such as a kick into the groin). The only time it might work well in a street fight would be if the attacker is already down or on one knee and so his head is lower or right in front of you. Although, in that case, you could also grab his head and give a knee.

Reminds me of a story a friend of my mother’s told me. He’s a black belt in Karate and even had a Karate school way back. He’s also been involved in a number of street fights. He always practiced the high kick and got really good at it throwing it against the bag. Then one time he was inside a bar and got into some type of argument with a much bigger guy. At one point, he used his high kick, landing it perfectly on the guy’s head with full force, just the way he had always practiced it. Well, next thing he remembers, he’s walking on a road outside a bar, with a bloody face and two friends supporting him. Apparently, the kick didn’t work so well in that case… 8)

g-v

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Maybe you could kick with the ball of the foot instead of with the shin. Or wear extra long boots for protection. I would probably not use a high kick to the head in a street fight, there are so many quicker, less visible and more effective things to do (such as a kick into the groin). The only time it might work well in a street fight would be if the attacker is already down or on one knee and so his head is lower or right in front of you. Although, in that case, you could also grab his head and give a knee.

Yes yes yes, agree with all that, Giant. I happen to have a great ball of foot kick that works wunderbar for me. No high kicks, homegirl…I was referring to kicking a target in the low range, such as your example of the oponent down or bent over.

The thing is, I read all this great stuff how the shinbone is better adapted for kicking instead of the instep. And yet, my instep doesn’t hurt nearly as much when I smack it against a post as opposed to kicking it with my shin.

mayhem

If you kick someone in the elbow with your shin, it will hurt like hell, if you do the same with your instep, your foot will most likely be broken. Just ask Tito how that goes…

lotar

The correct place for a shin kick is 3\” below the knee. The bone is thicker here so you will not be hurt so much.
    Don,t worry about the pain you feel, think of the pain your opponent will be in.
    If this kick is landed well especially to the head lights out bro !!!!!!!

g-v

Re:

For shizzle. I saw kicks landed with the shin, and they look brutal to the recipient. Right below the knee, huh? Will work on that.

kpalena

I try to hit a softer target. Leg, liver, and only if necessary, the head. High kicks leave too much open. I will throw round kicks to the arms too…it makes them drop their hands 😈

kravi

G.V.

My 2ct on toughening shin bones.

To begin with, I think that for self defense it just isn’t that important.
    In a real fight you will use just a few kicks. A street fight doesn’t
    last as long as a Muay-Thai fight. and the adrenaline will greatly reduce
    the pain sensation.

As for training the shins. Your body adapts between trainings and
    not during training. When the bone is bruised give it time to heal.
    There is no shame in training with shin protectors for a week or to.

g-v

Yo, thanks for the responses, y’all.

Kravi, good points. Kpal, no high kicks for this dude. *points to self*
    As for the liver, I find the best way for me to reach the sweet spot is with a left ball of foot kick, especially when sparring a right-handed fighter. I could throw it as a front kick or as a side kick (with heel down rather than up) with little telegraphing. Together with the right chin jab and left hook (I’m a lefty), that’s my A-game in a nutshell. 😆

anonymous

You could also work out the muscles around the shin bone, then flex your feet up as you are kicking, should give you extra padding and protection, which will work ganz wunderbar.

Now stop crying big man and back to work, didn’t you read about the guy, who got shot in the shin and still had the energy to try and take out the shooter? Don’t be an Angsthase! 8)

g-v

Giant, no matter how tough I am, you’ll always be more man than me. :mrgreen:

jaeroo

The heavybag, especially a brand new one that isn’t yet softened up, is the best tool for conditioning my shins. In addition, blocking drills utilizing shins along with hard sparring will make your shins the sure thing. In the beginning, it hurt at first. But with time, I don’t feel it as much.

clfmak

Also when you kick, peel your toes back and tense your foot like you’re going to do a front kick. This will help. You don’t want your foot to be loose and dangly when you kick. You can feel the musculature on the outside of your shin contract when you do this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: