Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics kick socky using shinbone

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    g-v

See, that’s another thing, pulling the toes back to flex the calf muscle. Seems to me, if you’re pulling toes up with that kick, you might as well forget the shinbone and go for making contact using the ball of the foot. Otherwise, any change in distance and your toes may make unintential contact, possibly breaking your foot.

Like say you’re going for a low roundhouse with your toes pulled back, and your opponent steps away a little. Now it ain’t your shin that’s gonna hit his leg, but rather your toes, curled back and unprepared for absorbing the impact. It’s kind of risky, no?

anonymous

I guess if you are going to kick like that, you’ll have to be ready for impact on your toes, just in case. Also, you might need to learn to judge your distances and see when it’s the perfect time to throw the kick (maybe he’s trying to punch and all of his weight is on the targeted leg, so he can’t realistically step back as your kick comes flying in).

g-v

Re:

Depends what type of fight you’re talking here. Sparring in class, yes, you could ready your foot for impact in case your shin will miss, judge the nuances of distance, yadda yadda.

I’m not for sure that would work so well when you’re defending yourself during a home invasion, or while getting into your car in a walmart parking lot. If that’s your goal for self-defense training, your tools should be honed to work without fail in the worst-case scenario, no?

For me, I equate it with palm-heel striking as opposed to striking with the fist. A few months ago, I [think] I busted my middle knuckle while punching my bag bare-fisted. Best thing to happen to me, actually. It made me rethink the value of training fist strikes when palm-heel striking is just as effective with virtually none of the dangers of a fist strike, ie, busted knuckle, classic boxer’s fracture, torn ligaments from a rolled fist, so on.

anonymous

Makes sense, but if you’re talking fighting to survive, with all of the adrenaline, are you really going to feel a jammed toe (or even broken one) until the fight is over? In the heat of the moment, it may just be a minor thing and may not be enough to incapacitate you, if it happens at all. But if you are worried about it, you could just train to kick without flexing the foot, or you could try to make a \”fist\” with your toes, curling them up, then flex the foot back, that might make them less likely to break if you do accidently hit something.

g-v

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Makes sense, but if you’re talking fighting to survive, with all of the adrenaline, are you really going to feel a jammed toe (or even broken one) until the fight is over? In the heat of the moment, it may just be a minor thing and may not be enough to incapacitate you, if it happens at all.

True, true…ten feet tall and bulletproof when the adrenaline dumps. Then again, it’s nice to walk away on two functioning feet after the fight is over, yes? 😉

I’ve been using Lotar’s advice (thanks, dude), working on landing kicks on my bag post with the upper third of the shin rather than the lower third as I’ve been doing. That kick is now a different tool altogether, something I could throw while in close range. Cool.

anonymous

Better to limp away than not to walk away at all. But anyway, looks like your problem has been solved. Ende gut, alles gut. 🙂

lotar

GV

Never pull your toes back when kicking with the shin ( you will break them )
    Always keep your toes and foot in a straight line with your shin.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: