Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Kickstand vs. KM stance during movement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Please reference this video starting at 13:13 –

Wing Chun vs. 52 Blocks

My understanding of the typical KM stance as I have seen it frequently demonstrated, is that the front foot often appears flat, and the rear foot is usually positioned with the heel up. This allows the rear foot to dig into the earth and propel the body forward towards your attacker. Makes sense.

During movement, it is my understanding that to step forward, you move the front (flat) foot first, then bring the rear (heel up) foot along with it. (Some will argue here that both feet should be heel up: though possibly good in theory, that is not how I have seen any instructor actually demonstrate the technique.)

Moving backwards, then, we move our rear (heel up) foot back first and plant it on the ground heel up, then pull the front (flat) foot along with it and let it fall flat.

In the video above, Lyte Burley suggests a “kickstand” stance, wherein moving backwards involves pushing the rear foot back into a flat position, then pulling the front foot into a heel up stance. This appears to accomplish two goals: first, it puts his torso into a more vertical position, which naturally raises his forward hand for striking, in this case to set up a left hook to throw at the attacker (who is presumably the guy who forced you backwards to begin with). Second, the forward foot being half-raised, may make it easier to rotate that front foot either to propel the strike, or rotate your body out of the way (or both).

Anyways, this is a very subtle difference in foot positioning during movement, but I wonder if someone here with more experience has some input?

Re: Kickstand vs. KM stance during movement

Oops! This should have been posted in the “KM Techniques” section. Mods, pls. move the thread if you’re able?

don

Everyone’s stance and movement/footwork are going to be a little different. I say, look at what’s out there, test it for yourself, and go with whatever allows you to move quickly in all directions and deliver your strikes or perform your preferred techniques with the least amount of telegraphing or pre-adjustment.

If there is someone out there who has great footwork and uses a flat-footed stance, I’d be interested in seeing him/her make that work. IME/O, a foot may LOOK flat but really isn’t.

ronta

I really agree with you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: