Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Krav and the OOSOFSBNA?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    leam

I feel like a founding member of the OOSOFSBNA; the “Overweight, Out of Shape Old Farts Shooters and Backyard Ninjer Association”. Which is to say that Krav looks very interesting but my body isn’t ready for it yet. Here’s my plan for fixing that, feel free to disabuse me of my notions or suggest improvements.

My wife is already taking martial arts and the instructor uses Krav for the self-defense portions. So I’ll learn from letting her beat up on me. Slow movements for a while so I can get the basic mechanics and start to move the muscles around. It’ll also give us an excuse to get some training contact pads at home so we both can practice.

Extra amounts of walking, stretching, and smaller amount of supper should make the first health difference. An hour Krav class would literally kill me, or re-injure my back, or leave the rest of the class to die laughing at the fat geezer flopping around on the mat. 😛

There are a couple advantages I plan on using though. First, I’m not too far from Ryan so when I’m actually able to move into a class there’s a good place to check out. Secondly, I’ve taken traditional martial arts back when the body was a bit more able, so if I can find good info on the mechanics, basics, and theory I should be able to get going.

Any on-line resources to learn that last bit?

Leam

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Krav and the OOSOFSBNA?

Hi and welcome to the forums.. at one point I was probably a member of your group as well. I’m pleased to say I’m no longer part of that group LOL

A couple things you might consider is getting the DVD set (makes a great xmas gift for the wife) and the new Book which will really help you to see the material broken down.

One of the original principles of KM is that it needs to be able to be performed by the average person and not just an athlete so you got that going for you!

mara-jade

quote leam:

I feel like a founding member of the OOSOFSBNA; the “Overweight, Out of Shape Old Farts Shooters and Backyard Ninjer Association”. Which is to say that Krav looks very interesting but my body isn’t ready for it yet. Here’s my plan for fixing that, feel free to disabuse me of my notions or suggest improvements.

My wife is already taking martial arts and the instructor uses Krav for the self-defense portions. So I’ll learn from letting her beat up on me. Slow movements for a while so I can get the basic mechanics and start to move the muscles around. It’ll also give us an excuse to get some training contact pads at home so we both can practice.

Extra amounts of walking, stretching, and smaller amount of supper should make the first health difference. An hour Krav class would literally kill me, or re-injure my back, or leave the rest of the class to die laughing at the fat geezer flopping around on the mat. 😛

There are a couple advantages I plan on using though. First, I’m not too far from Ryan so when I’m actually able to move into a class there’s a good place to check out. Secondly, I’ve taken traditional martial arts back when the body was a bit more able, so if I can find good info on the mechanics, basics, and theory I should be able to get going.

Any on-line resources to learn that last bit?

Leam

Welcome Leam!:wav:

You know, you don’t have to limit yourself to “can’t take Krav classes”. I know Sean’s giving you great info but don’t forget about the fitness classes. You still learn Krav moves. Yeah hubby and I were there – 50 lbs overweight between the two of us and we died like 10 minutes into our first cardio class. We’ve kept the alot of the weight off but we’re gonna start our training over(passed 2, was working on 3) as we’ve been ourselves gone awhile.

Whatever you decide to do – just feel free to post with any questions, ok? Oh as for getting beat up by your wife – it’s great marriage therapy:D:rofl2

leam

quote CJs Dad:

A couple things you might consider is getting the DVD set (makes a great xmas gift for the wife) and the new Book which will really help you to see the material broken down.

I was in a book store last night and in one of the KM books it showed a defense technique that included lifting the attacker off the ground using arm and back strength. My back complains lifting me sometimes…

The yellow book will probably be on the Christmas list for me, not sure we can swing the extra $$ for the full video set yet. My motivation to learn, as well as my general expense list are a wonderful wife and an awesome son. They get the lions share of the seasonal expenditures. Well, what’s left after the bills. 🙂

Leam

mara-jade

quote leam:

I was in a book store last night and in one of the KM books it showed a defense technique that included lifting the attacker off the ground using arm and back strength. My back complains lifting me sometimes…

Leam

Which book was that? That’s pretty much the higher level stuff (think I saw that in one of the long gun disarms) so don’t worry about that now. You don’t need to psyche yourself out like that:D:

leam

quote mara_jade:

Which book was that? That’s pretty much the higher level stuff (think I saw that in one of the long gun disarms) so don’t worry about that now. You don’t need to psyche yourself out like that:D:

“How to defend yourself against armed assult”. 🙂

Leam

mara-jade

quote leam:

“How to defend yourself against armed assult”. 🙂

Leam

Like I said -BABY STEPS man. I have that book and it’s great but you need to get your basics down first:D:

leam

My wife doesn’t yet know she bought me the yellow book as a “last day of shop class” present. :D:

Stopped by Ryan’s place, talked to a few of the folks, and watched some classes. Nice place, wonderful people, and I’m even more fired up! If my body can keep up with my intentions life will be great.

Leam

blindfold

Well it looks like your on your way to success.

The book is a good reference and I’m sure Ryan won’t let you die, right away anyways. thumbsup

In our classes most of the older or overweight people will do what they can and slowly build up to doing the full class. The instructors will tell them to stop and get some water, take a minute, etc.
    Do the class at what is reasonable to you and work a little harder each time. Also remembering water and breathing can make class alot more comfortable and dress accordingly.

Don’t let your wife hurt you to bad, you might not make it to class. Women are evil. :box: :box2:

best of luck and take you time.

guerriere

The first time I started krav was after “working up to it,” but I was still overweight. Then I stopped going, gained weight and started having multiple painful fatgirl problems. The worst was a morton’s neuroma on my forward foot. It came from either 1) stopping krav 2) doing krav in the first place or 3) wearing 2 inch heels while being fat. Then I fell and hurt the other foot. Then my back. And my carpal tunnel got worse. Whine whine whine.

So I started going to the gym and doing the rowing machine but that’s just bloody boring. Then I went to pilates. Kind of interesting but all on the ground and I don’t like looking at the world from that p.o.v. Then I cowboyed up and went to a kickboxing aerobics class and my feet were surprisingly okay but the moves were stupid and you can’t ask the teacher “If the bad guy’s that far away why don’t you just run away instead of doing a little dance in his direction?”

…then two people at work got attacked by customers and a woman in my apartment complex was held up at gunpoint and almost got raped. So I went back despite being OOSOFSBNA. And it’s been fine except for a few things that put weight on my wrists.

The moral of the story:

Check things out with the doc, and go for it. You’ll be surprised at what you can do, and don’t forget to check out how your classmates look when you think you’re about to drop dead. It’s very reassuring to see thin buff people drenched with sweat and panting like dogs when you’re the same way. And the look of terror that comes over their face when the teacher reminds you to “put your weight into” it is priceless!

leam

Well, 260 lbs bearded guys in 2″ heels isn’t my current style, so I’m pretty good there. however, my back is still giving me fits due to lack of muscle tone and an overly large front. I think that’s my most pressing physical concern because I can’t monitor it as easily. Huffing and puffing are self-declaring but a muscle spasm kinda jumps on you. I’ll keep some hot rub stuff in my gym bag. :D:

Ryan has a Thursday AM class I’m going to try to make. I plan on stretching and hydrating between now and then just to keep myself in the class longer. Should be fun, and hopefully I can walk away…

Leam

I have some major issues with my back as well. It doesn’t bother me too much when I do Krav, but running leaves me in some serious pain for a few days (which sucks, because I’m still in the Army). My doctor told me to stop running, which I explained was impossible. She said the next best thing I could do was to a) wear a back support when I’m doing anything that’s going to aggrivate my back problems and b) work the hell out of my abs to add some more natural support for my back. Try doing crunches and holding in the up position for about 5 seconds. I knock out about 100 of these 3 times a week on top of my other ab exercises and it’s been working pretty well. Bridging will also help out… A lot of people say that it is very effective in relieving back pain, though I haven’t encorperated it into my workout yet so I can’t vouch for it.

Stay motivated and good luck!

J-

leam

D-Day Minus 2, and counting…

I’ve visually gone over the Level 1 material in the book, and am slowly trying everything out. Huffing and puffing already, but no back issues yet. The issue with by back right now is primarily being over weight and out of shape. Crunches, weight loss, most anything that reduces the work those muscles have to do outside their norm is helpful.

Hydrating, planning on a good pasta tomorrow night, and more hydrating. I may still keel over but I’m trying to work on those things I can control. :):

Leam

mike-g

Re: D-Day Minus 2, and counting…

Hey Leam…It looks like your shooting IDPA in your avatar. Where do you shoot?

leam

Re: D-Day Minus 2, and counting…

quote mike_g:

Hey Leam…It looks like your shooting IDPA in your avatar. Where do you shoot?

That’s from my first match, last year. It was at the Wilkes County range, though normally I’m with the CCSC in Gastonia or down in Rock Hill. You?

Leam
    –CDP; sometimes a punch/kick combo just isn’t enough. :D:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: