Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Krav and the OOSOFSBNA?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    mike-g

Re: D-Day Minus 2, and counting…

I shoot all over SC,NC,GA,VA and TN if it’s a sanctioned match. I co-match direct the monthly IDPA match in Spartanburg at SPSA and a couple of guys that shoot in Gastonia and Rock Hill shoot our match. I’m classified in CDP but I never shoot it in a match. I either shoot SSP or shoot the same gun with no modifications in ESP. I’ll probably meet you in the future if you keep shooting or go to the am classes at Ryan’s.

leam

Re: Krav and the OOSOFSBNA?

Plan is to be at this week’s AM class at Ryan’s, look forward to seeing you there! Big fella, beard with some gray.

Funny how community works; the local guys talk highly of Spartanburg matches. 🙂

Have you seen the new “false barrels” Blade-Tech is coming out with? Yellow plastic drop in replacement for your barrel that makes the gun totally safe for defense training. Cheaper than a blue gun and still as obvious with a quick visual check that it’s safe. Can’t load a bullet in the chamber at all.

Leam

mike-g

Yeah I’ve seen them. They also make these yellow rods that you can stick down the barrel. You have to take the gun apart to insert it. You can still rack the slide but a bullet can’t be loaded in to the chamber. They cost about $2.00 . I’ll miss you Thursday at Ryan’s because of work , but I’ll be there Tuesday.

guerriere

quote leam:

Well, 260 lbs bearded guys in 2″ heels isn’t my current style, so I’m pretty good there. however, my back is still giving me fits due to lack of muscle tone and an overly large front. I think that’s my most pressing physical concern because I can’t monitor it as easily. Huffing and puffing are self-declaring but a muscle spasm kinda jumps on you. I’ll keep some hot rub stuff in my gym bag. :D:

Ryan has a Thursday AM class I’m going to try to make. I plan on stretching and hydrating between now and then just to keep myself in the class longer. Should be fun, and hopefully I can walk away…

Leam

Let us know how it goes! I have gut-dragging-down-the-spine syndrome too and before going back to krav I’d lost several work days due to spasms. Actually, I got a few very nasty spasms the first couple weeks back but not from krav at all – from picking up my dog, or bending over… stuff that shouldn’t cause that level of pain. Until reading your post I didn’t realize I haven’t been immobilized in at least two months, and I came back on Labor Day. Be an unabashed wuss if there are push-ups and use your knees. Likewise sit-ups – just do crunches, but do them 100%. As long as you’re working the muscles the warm-ups are designed to exercise, the instructor won’t get on your case. Not warming up muscles the instructor plans to use later in class is a very big mistake. 😉

emil

Hey Leam, Ryan and crew run one of the best schools in the country. Work with them and most importantly your limitations. I would suggest that you start a concurrent fitness program. Even if it first starts with walking to slow jogging at first. May be walk a minute, then jog 30 sec, etc. If you can do that for a few minutes everyday, along with some calisthenics, that’s will be a good start. Remember, that the longer you don’t do anything, the harder it will be to start.

leam

Today was a good day, I started going through the material at a mild pace and had no spasms. Not sure about some of the kicks yet, but the upper body stuff seems fine. Fun too, in that I remember how to do some of the stuff from when I trained before.

Over my life I’ve realized that I’m externally motivated. Health and fitness is important, but I can’t seem to prioritize it. However, with a list of skills to learn it’s fun and I’m willing to do fitness on the side to support that. I’ve started curbing my food intake a little, and the unseasonably warm weather gives me a little more outdoor time for walking. Running is out, one of my disks is much smaller after some surgery a few years ago. Walking, however, is a much neglected activity I need to get back to.

Everything I’ve seen about Ryan’s school has been positive. It’s clean, lots of options, places to keep kids happy, and most importantly, he had the yellow book in stock!

Leam

leam

D-Day minus 1…

My body has taken some time today to remind me that I’ve not really worked out for months. However, it’s been mostly a “whisper in the ear” sort of conversation, not a “yell your head off” episode. So we’re still go for class at Ryan’s tomorrow.

Part of me wants to jump in and go full throttle, another part stays concerend about my body’s ability to keep up with a 2-3 times a week training pace. The costs I’ve heard are reasonable, but if you’re not going frequently enough to learn more and get better then it becomes wasted money.

I’ve thought about little else for the past couple of days. There’s a fine line between passion and obsession, it seems. I’ve often found myself in the role of teacher. Not that my skills are ever perfect, but it seems so difficult to watch someone else struggling with learning something and not offer to help. I want to approach the upcoming class with a wide open mind but part of me is already looking far down the road and wondering how I can help others learn. Like I said, there’s a fine line.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Leam

guerriere

You sound like a natural! Obsessive and willing to help others.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

unstpabl1

I’ve read alot of Ryan’s post over the last few years. We’ve agreed and disagreed, but I’d train with him. Nice to see you back Mike G. Hope all is well 🙂

Leam. I think your on the right track in your impulse to really start slow and off base to jump into class. I know it may not be popular and even go against your excitment about krav, but krav will be there. Taking a month or two to focus on general fitness and flexibility will take you far and save on doctor bills. working out in a group class is such a positive atmosphere, we always work out harder than we would on our own. Problem is it ends up being too much too soon. Its hard to start slow in a group class

i’m someone whose made a lot of mistakes, not an instructor. But I offer sound advice.
    If you get a chance google crossfit and look to the beginners stuff. Your best bet would be to join Garddawg’s forum at http://www.brandxmartialarts.com

He’s a krav instuctor as well as a crossfit affiliate. Besides that i think he has one of the best xfit sites there is for a beginner. And no matter where you once were or once could do, your now a beginner. This stuff is perishable. first time you take a week off , you’ll know I speak the truth. I really like Garddawg alot and the people on his forum are the best

For your back I would highly recommend Myo fascile release, which is also called trigger point therapy. Its done by chiros, PT’s and even massueses. Or depending on your finances can also be done with a foam roller or my favorite a tennis ball. I use to go to the chiro twice a week. My $2 tennis ball eliminated him for the most part, so I don’t have to put his kid thru college while I starve.

http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com

Go to the above site and click Articles. Under T-nation look for the article entitled “Feeling good for under $10”. Its a great article on myo fascile release with a tennis ball. If after you read the article and have more questions, ask. I have other resources. And i don’t think many people have a job harder on their back than I do. I swear by this stuff. And the kicker is it works and its cheap. But its about muscular problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. hope this helps

mike

unstpabl1

quote mara_jade:

Welcome Leam!:wav:

You know Mara Jade, I’m glad I nominated you Welcoming commitee 🙂 If the good folks at KMWW haven’t said it they should. Your doing a terrific job. Thank You for stepping up.
    mike

giant-killer

Ah, so you nominated HER, bypassing ME, your old internet buddy?? Damn it, you big traitor! :tantrum: :Unsure:

unstpabl1

quote Giant Killer:

Ah, so you nominated HER, bypassing ME, your old internet buddy?? Damn it, you big traitor! :tantrum: :Unsure:

Now you know i adore you, but a welcoming commitee, needs to be…well, er ahm, kind of welcoming not combative. Besides Mara Jade is kind and considerate, unlike the rest of us reprobates 🙂

Even her name exotic and sexy, like a hot Mossad spy. The perfect image for Krav Maga. Yours is Giantkiller. So everyone over 4’11” is right away afraid their dealing with a little Napoleon with shortman’s, er chicks complex.

But in hindsight because we’re bud’s, I would’ve nominated you, but I think you were banned at the time 🙂 Yeeeaahh, Thats the ticket! I’d wink but I ain’t got that smiley thing down. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

mike

guerriere

Doesn’t a committee have to have more than one person? I nominate everyone on the forum!

mara-jade

quote unstpabl1:

Now you know i adore you, but a welcoming commitee, needs to be…well, er ahm, kind of welcoming not combative. Besides Mara Jade is kind and considerate, unlike the rest of us reprobates 🙂

Even her name exotic and sexy, like a hot Mossad spy. The perfect image for Krav Maga. Yours is Giantkiller. So everyone over 4’11” is right away afraid their dealing with a little Napoleon with shortman’s, er chicks complex.

But in hindsight because we’re bud’s, I would’ve nominated you, but I think you were banned at the time 🙂 Yeeeaahh, Thats the ticket! I’d wink but I ain’t got that smiley thing down. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

mike

AHA – it was you!!rofl2 Oh, geez, I dunno what to say:D:. I know when I got here it seemed very nice but frankly, at other forums I go to, there’s always at least 1 greeter to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy. It’s not to say no one here does that cause hey, if it weren’t for y’all, I probably would’ve stayed lurking.

I may seem like I kinda lurk now cause honestly, hubby and I have been gone so long that I do FEEL like a newbie all over again. I still kinda feel dorky answering KM questions because of that but hopefully getting back into class regularly will kill that problem:):

Thanks for the name compliment – I’d love to take credit for that name but I”m a Star Wars Junkie and I fell in love with this gal – in her past kick a$$ assassin:D:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/marajadeskywalker/

GK – hey girl – you know we love you but you GOTTA give the newbies a chance to warm up to ya ok?;):

mara-jade

quote Guerriere:

Doesn’t a committee have to have more than one person? I nominate everyone on the forum!

Yep – me, myself and I – sorry I couldn’t resist rofl2

I love your sig line:D:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: