Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Krav and the OOSOFSBNA?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Krav and the OOSOFSBNA?

quote Guerriere:

Doesn’t a committee have to have more than one person? I nominate everyone on the forum!

😛 Sure now you want to join in. Ha go figure, I listen to GK and the smiley thing worked out. It sucks to have to do this, but heres to you GKbow1 You all don’t know how hard that was to do.

Guerriere, I don’t actually remember exactly why I pushed MJ to be the welcome wagon. I think she was shy at first about expressing her opinions about krav and also expressed being unsure about posting after reading some of the net fights that occur on this and every forum. Probably one of mine. I use to post here a lot;):

When CJ’s Dad came up with the idea for an intro thread, I thought it was a great idea. Then I realized that people weren’t welcoming the Newbs. I was of course:wav:, but that didn’t seem right either. Why? Because I don’t even take Krav. :banghead:So I believe I challenged the beautiful, sexy and Mysterious Mara Jade to ahm er step up. An 0bvious attempt to help MJ and keep GK away from the newbs:woohoo:

But feel free to jump on the bandwagon. Theres always plenty of room. Besides, you got one of those exotic Mossad type names as well:beer:

Okay I’m done playing with the smily feature, don’t wanna :Deadhorse:

mara-jade

quote unstpabl1:

Guerriere, I don’t actually remember exactly why I pushed MJ to be the welcome wagon. I think she was shy at first about expressing her opinions about krav and also expressed being unsure about posting after reading some of the net fights that occur on this and every forum. Probably one of mine. I use to post here a lot;):

When CJ’s Dad came up with the idea for an intro thread, I thought it was a great idea. Then I realized that people weren’t welcoming the Newbs. I was of course, but that didn’t seem right either. Why? Because I don’t even take Krav. :banghead:So I believe I challenged the beautiful, sexy and Mysterious Mara Jade to ahm er step up. An 0bvious attempt to help MJ and keep GK away from the newbs:woohoo:

….sorry cutting the post – too many smileys and my post won’t take

Okay I’m done playing with the smily feature, don’t wanna :Deadhorse:

Oh geez – what a flattererrofl2 You do know you can bring your own smileys from other places? That’s how I get my laughing Mutley here :D:. Sean I’m sure has better things to do than to keep adding smileys though he did add my tantrum :tantrum: and yahoo smiley:woohoo:

unstpabl1

quote mara_jade:

Oh geez – what a flattererrofl2 You do know you can bring your own smileys from other places? That’s how I get my laughing Mutley here :D:. Sean I’m sure has better things to do than to keep adding smileys though he did add my tantrum :tantrum: and yahoo smiley:woohoo:

OH,Oh! I can bring in more emoticons. I don’t think thats such a good idea. Can’t you see I lack restraint:wav:

giant-killer

Here’s to you and all newbies:

Damn, I suppose I AM too aggressive to be on the Welcoming Committee. Maybe I should be on the kick off committee instead, although that might be hypocritical on my part. We’ll figure it out…:wav: ;):

Thanks for the bow though! bow1

unstpabl1

quote Giant Killer:

Here’s to you and all newbies:

Damn, I suppose I AM too aggressive to be on the Welcoming Committee. Maybe I should be on the kick off committee instead, although that might be hypocritical on my part. We’ll figure it out…:wav: ;):

Thanks for the bow though! bow1

Actually, if you would’ve had that devil back then you would have definately been my first choice:beer:

leam

D-Day, and the aftermath…

Well, Ryan didn’t need to do any CPR. In fact, I stepped out of one exercise when my heart was going a bit fast, and my bag partner and I switched off more frequently than usual. Other than that, I survived my first class. Woot!

The whole “baby steps” concept has gone by the wayside though. I plan on signing up and taking as many classes as I can in the next few weeks while I’m on a work hiatus. In Feburary Ryan has a Level 1 instructors Apprentice A test that I’m going to try and make. We’ll see how the body holds out. 🙂

Thanks for the encouragement! Now it’s time to switch to a new thread, “How to keep the body going at a high training pace”. Coming soon to a forum near you. 🙂

Leam

unstpabl1

quote leam:

D-Day, and the aftermath…

Well, Ryan didn’t need to do any CPR. In fact, I stepped out of one exercise when my heart was going a bit fast, and my bag partner and I switched off more frequently than usual. Other than that, I survived my first class. Woot!

The whole “baby steps” concept has gone by the wayside though. I plan on signing up and taking as many classes as I can in the next few weeks while I’m on a work hiatus. In Feburary Ryan has a Level 1 instructors Apprentice A test that I’m going to try and make. We’ll see how the body holds out. 🙂

Thanks for the encouragement! Now it’s time to switch to a new thread, “How to keep the body going at a high training pace”. Coming soon to a forum near you. 🙂

Leam

Well, I pretty much knew that was going to happen and in 2 months you’ll be ready for instructor training as well as training everyday you can. HHMM. Well good luck to you

ryan

Leam, it was good to meet you today. I look forward to seeing you in there more often.

Just so everyone knows, the standards for the apprenticeship training and certification are very high. Those who show up for apprenticeship certification are expected to be very proficient at performing the techniques, as well as being able to teach the techniques. There is very little margin for error or “growth” in the course, and many hours assisting and training must be logged as a pre-requisite.

All the best!

leam

Hmm…yeah, I think I discussed something with Ryan that I’ve not talked about here. Going to even the lowest level of Instructor after a couple months isn’t a normal expectation. I’ve been an instructor before and in class Ryan was able to observe me first hand.

I’ve learned 95% of the Level 1 student material before. The good thing about having not taught for a few years is that I can re-learn it the Krav way. That’s the exectation I have; that hard work for the next couple months will let me learn the 5% I’ve not done before and refine the rest.

ciao!

Leam

unstpabl1

Hey Ryan. Hope things are well. My comment wasn’t about your program or questioning it in anyway:wav:

My comment was about newbies in general and not even a shot at Leam. More of like I knew exactly how this would go down and shouldn’t had taken the time to post. :banghead:

I know people can do indcredible things. I would never tell someone they can’t do something. I also know people overestimate the time it takes to do things. Everyone starts hells a fire for the first month, then most fade.

Leam you went from I’m obese. I haven’t worked out in years, I got a bad back and I know I gotta take it easy to start. To I’m gonna workout everyday and take instructor training in a month or so. I apologize for seeing the irony there:D:

I don’t even care about your prior background as it has little relevance to your current condition. Your current condition is the only reality that is relevent. We all learn the hard way that we have to crawl before we can run

I’m glad you found an exercise program your gonna love. And I absolutely wish you the best of luck. Krav is awesome. But don’t let your enthusiasm write checks your body is not in position to cash….yet….Sprinters very rarely last a mile. Fitness is a life long pursuit. Don’t try to do it in a day cause your body will rebel

Hope this helps

ryan

Mike, I knew where you were going with your comments. My post was more for those not as insightful or well-initiated. All the best.

leam

No worries Mike, I’ll hold the punching pad for you any time. I’ve already started taking some of your advice and Garddawg’s Forum looks great. You need to continue posting.

In September my lower back started having spasms and my son was scared. I was a bit worried as well, between bouts of pain. Yesterday after class I picked my son up to my head to cuddle. That felt really good, haven’t been able to do that for a while. In the past few months I’ve been doing some stuff to get more fit but with no set goal in mind. Haven’t made a lot of progress.

Prior training does help some in that my movements are more economical. I apply muscle tension when I have to, relax when I can, and breathe decently. There’s also the earlier success to keep me encouraged; I *have* done this before, so I know I can do it again. Not easily, but it can be done.

The irony you see is a valid response, don’t worry about that. It’s also a challenge and carries risk. I may well crash and burn, and believe me that’s been on my mind. I may fail, or be injured, or totally burn-out on Feb 11th. Ryan’s the instructor and if he says I’m not ready, then that’s the way it is. If I *don’t* try I fail by default. If my body can’t take the intensity, that’s life at 46; next year I’ll be ready.

So keep posting Mike, even if it’s not what I want to hear. A dose of reality is a good thing. :beer:

Leam

guerriere

After my very first class I *ran* up two flights of steps from the laundry room to my apartment for the first time. I didn’t even feel winded, and I have asthma! There’s got to be more to what krav does for the body than burning calories and building muscle.

I kind of thought you’d be fine ;): I don’t think you’ll crash & burn, either. If you ever get bored just find a beginner to partner with and watch how cool it is when they *get it* with something that’s new to them.

unstpabl1

quote leam:

No worries Mike, I’ll hold the punching pad for you any time. I’ve already started taking some of your advice and Garddawg’s Forum looks great. You need to continue posting.

In September my lower back started having spasms and my son was scared. I was a bit worried as well, between bouts of pain. Yesterday after class I picked my son up to my head to cuddle. That felt really good, haven’t been able to do that for a while. In the past few months I’ve been doing some stuff to get more fit but with no set goal in mind. Haven’t made a lot of progress.

Prior training does help some in that my movements are more economical. I apply muscle tension when I have to, relax when I can, and breathe decently. There’s also the earlier success to keep me encouraged; I *have* done this before, so I know I can do it again. Not easily, but it can be done.

The irony you see is a valid response, don’t worry about that. It’s also a challenge and carries risk. I may well crash and burn, and believe me that’s been on my mind. I may fail, or be injured, or totally burn-out on Feb 11th. Ryan’s the instructor and if he says I’m not ready, then that’s the way it is. If I *don’t* try I fail by default. If my body can’t take the intensity, that’s life at 46; next year I’ll be ready.

So keep posting Mike, even if it’s not what I want to hear. A dose of reality is a good thing. :beer:

Leam

Ryan’s program is very respected, so your in good hands. Keep an eye out for Mike G. His head is screwed on right. So you’ve found the right place.

Just remember at our age we need longer to recover and flexibility is more of an issue. I would never squash enthusiasm as its a thing as adults we abandon to fit in. Ever notice every loser knows why things won’t work. Human nature I guess:banghead: But enthusiasm makes life happen.

The fact that you responded to my post as to my intent to be helpful and not an attack says alot. Good Luck With Ryan, Krav and knocking your goals down

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hey Leam

Coming from being a fellow member of OOSOFSBNA I thought I would share that after the birth of my son CJ I had ballooned up to 250 and felt awful about myself and my weight. That’s when I started Krav, by the time I got done with phase A I was at 205 and with a little help from our buddy Gardawg on diet am now back up to 235-240 with a significant redistribution of that weight.

My cardio still needs a ton of work but I feel great on my feet in fact people often comment on how for a big guy I move around so well.

You’ll get there buddy sounds like your doing the right steps and have gotten with a great group of people.

Keep up the good work!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: