Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Krav defense for this type of knife attack?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

So knife defenses came up in another forum. Someone posted this video saying “how does one defend this type of attack?” Hack, slash and stab at a furious pace.

http://youtu.be/vWaIHMFeGtg

You’ll need to forward to about 12 min in. The instructor is demonstrating the futility of grabbing for the knife. He then goes on to demonstrate a move to get himself out of a corner when someone has a knife.

I’ve done a few different knife defenses, but not one that addresses someone going “berserker” on you.

Any thoughts on the defense he demonstrates afterward?

Thanks.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Krav defense for this type of knife attack?

You lost me at Jim Wagner.

maddogmean

I have no idea who this guy is…I’m guessing he’s a hack…not really interested in his defense or methods. I’m seriously interested in a sound defense against that type of attack.

kmyoshi

I’m also very interested in finding ways to properly deal with this type of attack.

I am only a student of Krav Maga, but I’m going to take a stab at breaking this down to adhere to our Krav Maga principals. First and foremost, I think the fact that the person attacking you would have to get very close to you, the first step would be being aware of your surroundings, who is around you, who is acting shady with their hands behind their back or in their pockets or clutching something that can be used in this manner. Secondly is counter attacking the threat as quickly as possible, in this case I would find the knife/arm/hand that is holding said knife as the biggest threat. This I find extremely hard to do considering the shock and brutal nature of this type of attack, you will freeze up like any normal person would and go into “oh s#!t” mode. As a good defense is a good offense, getting them to switch from offensive to defensive is critical. In the video, the guy defending (getting stabbed) was trying to slap the knife away which really does nothing because its moving way too fast, and you end up grabbing the blade.

I think what Jim Wagner showed isn’t too far off, except the fact that he didn’t utilize any combatives after closing the distance and controlling the arm or take the weapon away, he merely pushed him away and ran. The attacker still had the knife and was not softened up at all. Not saying you can’t outrun your attacker… but still.

Another technique I feel MAY work is pushing the the attacking arm against the attacker’s body. This is similar to the gun defense where the attacker has their left arm holding your shirt or shoulder, or pushing you and their right hand on a gun which is either on their hip or near the right part of their chest. You would aim for the arm and have your hand on their wrist and put pressure/weight on said arm to prevent them from moving it. It is obviously easier with a gun since a gun can only shoot one way and you’re not dealing with someone thrusting their hands quickly but this is only a theory… I would have to test it to see if it is even possible/practical. Perhaps the best way to train for this type of attack is to drill it like we would in a shark tank scenario, try to train your body’s instinctual reaction of “oh s#!t WTF do I do,” to defending -> counter attacking.

Please dissect this post, and scrutinize! This is something that has been on my mind for the longest time.

Here’s a good video regarding this topic but… no techniques shown. Warning: has a lot of swearing by the instructor to get the point across.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw

maddogmean

Kmyoshi, I’ve also seen that video and found it helpful. I also didn’t like the fact that Jim Wagner didn’t do any damage or disarm the attacker before turning his back on him. I also think that this type of defense would not be effective if the attacker was much larger/stronger…like a man vs woman or young vs old situation. Also the attacker can choose to clinch or grab hold during the throw.

Thanks for the reply.

mrbump

quote MadDogMean:

So knife defenses came up in another forum. Someone posted this video saying “how does one defend this type of attack?” Hack, slash and stab at a furious pace.

http://youtu.be/vWaIHMFeGtg

You’ll need to forward to about 12 min in. The instructor is demonstrating the futility of grabbing for the knife. He then goes on to demonstrate a move to get himself out of a corner when someone has a knife.

I’ve done a few different knife defenses, but not one that addresses someone going “berserker” on you.

Any thoughts on the defense he demonstrates afterward?

Thanks.

Standard 360 defence, simultaneous counter, control knife if you can, but most importantly beat the crap out of the guy and disengage as soon as possible. The block isn’t the defence, the strike is. The reality is you prob will be cut, but you should be going on the offensive as quick as possible so the attacker can’t keep slashing and stabbing at will. Try it with some head gear on and see how quickly your attack pattern is disrupted when you get a palm in the face after the first stab…

emmalyn33

Nice, just to let you know the post isnt showing up properly on my iphone – I think there is a plugin you can grab that takes care of that now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: