Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and CrossFit

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Re: Krav Maga and CrossFit

quote garddawg:

Been teaching Krav for 7 and CrossFit for about 5 years. Tried to meet up with you Paul 3 years ago when I was in London about 3 years ago.

3 years ago ! My how time goes. We are still here and last year I went from teaching part time to doing it for a living. I have not ‘worked’ since I left my career and love what we do now. The world can be crazy, I do what I love and people want to pay me for it, how cool is that?

quote garddawg:

Paul,
    We had some brief discussions about CF around the time I was over there to do a seminar on Olympic weightlifting. You were really into Kettlebells as I recall. Are you heading to Manchester for the certification?

So we have been doing this a long time now. If you are going to run a CF class before the KM class the folks will need a break. Usually what we do is tell the CFitters that they can take an active rest during the Krav Maga warm up. They run, stretch etc. but skip anything high intensity. Then they are usually ready for the first drill and good to go through the rest of the class. Flipping it around a well conditioned CrossFitter can go through a KM class and use it as a warm up for CrossFit. It will take some time, but people that commit to both and give their all in both will be way ahead of the ones who don’t.

Manchester are you mad 😉 i had a choice California or Manchester. Strangely Manchester lost out so I came to Camp Pendleton. Loved it, loved the USA and loved the people

Dont use KB’s much as persistant problems with shoulders seemed much worse when I used KBs. I wont lift anything overhead now and alter wod’s and seem ok if stick with that. If I break the rule I pay for it LOL

quote garddawg:

Paul,
    We had some brief discussions about CF around the time I was over there to do a seminar on Olympic weightlifting. You were really into Kettlebells as I recall. Are you heading to Manchester for the certification?

So we have been doing this a long time now. If you are going to run a CF class before the KM class the folks will need a break. Usually what we do is tell the CFitters that they can take an active rest during the Krav Maga warm up. They run, stretch etc. but skip anything high intensity. Then they are usually ready for the first drill and good to go through the rest of the class. Flipping it around a well conditioned CrossFitter can go through a KM class and use it as a warm up for CrossFit. It will take some time, but people that commit to both and give their all in both will be way ahead of the ones who don’t.

Out of curisoty, how long are your krav sessions and crossfit sessions. I think 2 hours training then crossfit is to long but we have loads of students who do it now.

I think CF is a secret ingredient for anyone wanting to progrtess really well with krav.

garddawg

Camp Pendleton is only 45 minutes from me. We were invited to come and were so busy getting the CF Kids magazine out that we chose not to. Damn. BTW the boy on the front page of CrossFit Sunday June 15th is my son Connor.

We have had several inquires to come teach a CrossFit Kids seminar in the UK. Perhaps it will happen next year. Would be nice to finally meet up.

Funny how things work out, we introduced Mark and Karl when we were over there. Now the boys run CF Manchester. They just visited after their Level 2 cert. Things are picking up over there.

Regarding the training. Our KM classes are 1 to 1.5 hours. 2 hours would be very hard. What we found is by integrating some CF techniques we can raise the level of fatigue fairly quickly. Hypoxic KB swings followed by defenses are amazing and an easy way to shorten the class.

jakewrestler

We do both as well. KM at 6pm and CF at 7pm. Usually only the hardcore athletes stick around for both, but they seem to like it.

nemo-dat

Iíve heard people call cross fit the next Billy Blanks tae-bo craze. To their credit, however, they try to use sound principles like periodized training and employ exercises that build functional strength like working with kettle bells and doing Turkish get-ups etc. Again IMHO and in my experience you would be better served to join a gym that subscribes to solid principles of MMA training the cutting edge of which can be found in books like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Warriors-Ultimate-Martial-Workout/dp/0061374334/ref=pd_sim_d_1

Also, in my view, if you wanna get stronger, power lifting will not do you wrong.

garddawg

I don’t believe the Marine Corps. ever adopted Billy Banks nor the SEAL’s. Stick to what you know not what you’ve heard. Better yet find a CrossFit affiliate and try it for 6 months.

nemo-dat

quote garddawg:

I don’t believe the Marine Corps. ever adopted Billy Banks nor the SEAL’s. Stick to what you know not what you’ve heard. Better yet find a CrossFit affiliate and try it for 6 months.

Lol, I’ve tried it… have you lifted Westside or even read a book akin to Rooney’s?

nemo-dat

I just took a look at some of your past posts. They indicate that you have knowledge of this subject so I take back my response to your ìstick with what you knowî comment.

I have tried (and examined) cross fit and I have spent many years training and training others. I have a few issues with cross fit as a one size fits all program. Chiefly the fact that the principles involved arenít really anything new and are wrapped in a bit a of shiny marketing package. Probably good for most but arguably not the full (or best) method for many.
    As far as the Marines and SEALs adopting cross fit, if they have, that isnít necessarily a ringing endorsement.

The point is that I, and many others, could probably tailor a superior program for many trainees. Does that make cross fit crap? Not at all. It just makes it a decent mass market program that, in some peoples minds, will get lumped in with other popular programs of the past.

roningai

Where i train Crossfit is 3xs a week, i’m going to start this week.i’m so scared :chair:it looks brutal. i’ve been training KM for 3 weeks i feel my physical level has gone up but i know crossfit will destroy that thought. I know this will help me for the test but mostly overall just be good for me.thumbsup

stevetuna

CrossFit, for me, gets the job done. The workouts are intense. The other folks that you’re working out with (assuming that one does work out in a group) urges you to push yourself and do your best. The workouts can be scaled (see Garddawg’s website link), so that a newbie or someone getting better can find the point where they’ll get the best out of them. These workouts are challenging and fun.

I don’t care if someone else thinks that they can design a better program. Until they do so and put it out there for others to try and until that program produces results that are observable, repeatable and measurable, I’ll stick with CrossFit.

And Krav Maga, of course!

johnl-d11

I’ve been doing crossfit at a local affiliate since last Oct.. Let me tell you that I’ve never been stronger, punched/kicked harder and faster, and my overall conditioning is through the roof. I take the krav maga tests now for “fun” if we have an odd number testing. Not sure about doing a WoD then doing krav, but I’ll do one then head to our KM school for some BJJ rolling, or muay thai conditioning.

quote Nemo_Dat:

t.
    As far as the Marines and SEALs adopting cross fit, if they have, that isnít necessarily a ringing endorsement.

You can add the LAPD’s elite METRO (SWAT, K-9, etc)Division to the list. These are three of the premier groups of Warriors on the planet. I don’t even do Crossfit and that is a ringing endorsement. For goodness sake, that is the definition of ringing endorsement!

nemo-dat

quote Jeremy Stafford:

For goodness sake, that is the definition of ringing endorsement!

A ringing endorsement would be its use by premier athletes. Specifically those that make their living in combat sports. Military and para-military use (just like with KM) implies that its an easy to use system that will fit a variety of individuals reasonably well. this does NOT imply that it is the best system. In fact this mass appeal is why it cannot be that great and why its use by groups signals less than a ringing endorsement. Personal training by someone that knows what they are doing will surpass the use of an off the shelf system any day.

garddawg

Nemo,
    The front page workout at http://www.CrossFit.com is an expression of CrossFit concept. “CrossFit is a Strength and Conditioning program designed around varied if not random functional movements performed at high intensity.” Most CF trainers use the principle to personalize workouts for individual trainees, and groups.

I can add SDPD SWAT, elementary schools, high schools etc……
    That being said John Hackelman uses it to train his athletes (Chuck Liddell, Glover Texiera is a CF trainer), BJ Penn the list could go on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: