Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga And Hapkido

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    topitbull

I have been thinking about joining a Hapkido class for maybe 1 day per week, to ad to my Krav Maga arsenal!

Just wanted to know what some of the major differences are in philosophy and style.

Is it good?

will it work well with Krav?

Any info would be much appreciated.

any other good Military/Streetfighting systems?

garddawg

What are your goals, and how long have you been taking Krav Maga?

shadow

I think mastering in more than one martial arts is essential.. For me I take Kenpo along with Krav Maga. I think that by taking more than one martial arts, a person will naturally utilize them both in an effective manner that a specific situation calls upon. And it is excellent for expanding ones knowledge and philosphies learned from the different disciplines. I know that doesn’t exactly answer your question on just Hapkido. I think you should give it a try and see if it’s what you may want.

topitbull

I am looking for something with the same streetfighting emphasis.

something that complements Krav.

well,

here’s my two cents.

First of all there are various styles of hapkido. Some are kicking oriented, sometimes very simular to taekwondo.
    Some are more like aikido, and some are jiu jitsu like etc.

So to recommend hapkido or not it might be a good idea to know what kind of hapkido you intend to do. Or if someone gives advice, please say something about the orientation of your style.

The style i did was very aikido like but less static and it included some striking and groundwork.
    I think techniquewise it was very logical what we did overall.
    We mostly used the energy of the attacker and redirected it, usually to the ground, nor maybe to another opponent.

The way of training was very stylish and in my opnion unrealistic.
    The attacker gave himself away totally in his attack.
    Usually it was a karate type attack with a fist from the hip and a big step with the same side you are punching.

I was also a boxer at the time and I’ve never had the idea this would work against a jab or even worse a series of boxing strikes.

Therefor the way i experienced it is that somethings work quite fine and i would still use it. (I work as a security guard and love the joint locks, especially the wrist) Other things I would not use. If you have an open mind but a critical aproach you can learn a lot from it.

Also the intention of the instruction is imported.
    My hapkido trainers were very style oriented and not very self defense/ streetfighting oriented. With a lot of techniques we did they say they love it but would never use it. In a real fight they said they would stick to simple things like punching the throat etc. sounds familiar?

So check with your instructor what his aproach is. If it is self defense and his training methods are realistic , you can probably learn a lot from it.

I love cross training and would recommend it to anyone.

topitbull

Many thanks,

Lately I have been thinking of American Kempo instead.

From what I hear it is more striking oriented.

but I wouldn’t mind learning some joint locks!

Thanks for the advice

wim

Re:

In my opinion, based on what I’ve seen and know of American Kempo, I would personally not bother with it. It looks cool, but I’ve never seen any one even remotely effective with it (although I’ve only seen a few people try to use it, one being an instructor at a tournament). It’s too fluffy and you spend far too much time worrying about the 5th punch in the combination than the one that you’re currently on. There’s far too much time spent on long kattas which are completely worthless. Incidentally, the instructor I watched was beat and whatever he was doing surely didn’t look like Kempo — it looked like more of an untrained fighter than anything.

la-revancha

Isn’t Chuck Liddell trained in Kempo?

ryan

Yes, and I have a background in kempo (and Jeff in kung fu), but I wouldn’t say I was a \”kempo\” guy. 😉 8)

Hapkido is like the vast majority of TMAs–not pressure tested, not \”alive\”, not based in realities of today, etc. It all comes down to what you goals are. What are you trying to achieve with your training? If it’s reality-based self protection, I would stay away from TMAs.

wim

Re:

quote \”La Revancha\:

Isn’t Chuck Liddell trained in Kempo?

Technically, it was Kaju Kenbo, which is a mixed martial art of Karate, judo, Kempo, and boxing. It’s also known as Hawaiian Kempo.

Incidentally, Chuck owns a school in San Luis Obispo now — you won’t find Kempo being taught there.

Again though, I was just giving *my* opinion on Kempo based on my knowledge, which is limited.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: