Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    farhan

Now that I have your attention, I want my fellow Kravists to weigh in on something:

I recently started KM (couple of months) and love it. One day our instructor was going over kicks and asked us to use our shins instead of feet. And then proceeded to show how you would kick someone in the face when they are on the ground doubled over from a hit to the groin. I without thinking said, ‘TO THE FACE?’ and every one stopped and looked at me and she said, ‘YES to the FACE, he/she is trying to kill you and you’re worried about their face?’

She came to me after class and said, ‘They chose to buy the ticket and they deserve a ride’. I understand it conceptually, but I don’t know if I will be able to put it into practice. Maybe if it’s a life threatening situation for me or my loved ones, it would change. I don’t know!

Now what I want to know is, if anyone else had/has the same sentiments, did you cringe at idea of disfiguring someone’s face? What do you do to remedy it?

Note: Leaving Krav is not an option.

magamike

Re: Krav Maga and Sex

I don’t care about the face. But I have the same issue with groin kicks. Groin kicking is off-limits in any recognized form of competitive fighting I’ve ever seen or participated in, so I’m hardwired never to even think of that.

KM trains no-holds-barred self-defense, and rightly so. But I do need to work on my mindset more and really get used to thinking of the groin as a target option at all times.

farhan

I see where that could be an issue for some one who has trained hard not to use a certain target, and then comes to KM and wham, just about every combo starts off with a groin kick.

I have a similar issue with stomping someone’s head. It brings a scene from the movie ‘American History X’ to mind. Where Edward Norton asks this guy to open his mouth and place his teeth on the curb and then smashes the back of his head with his foot.

ryan

Remember, the goal is eliminating the threat, not disfigurement. Self defense should not become punishment, but you should be willing to do whatever it takes to eliminate the threat…in other words, you need to render the attacker unable or unwilling to continue fighting. A kick to the head/face may be what is called for in the moment.

night-robin

If you heard “They bought the ticket. They get to ride the ride.” at the Gastonia RHEK facility I’m assuming Heather said it.Although I’ve occasionally heard Mike spout out this little gem. I’ve heard it many times.

The training my instructors have given me has helped to put me in a certain mindset that allows me to think of Groin strikes, biting, and all that “Illegal” stuff the UFC bans as acceptable in a street fight.

I occasionally explain some Krav concepts to my friends in hopes they will someday train. I told them my stance on whether or not striking the groin, biting, etc. is fair is that if someone wants to fight me fairly, they can get me a UFC contract. If they simply want to beat the crap out of me, I couldn’t care less whether or not they think I fought fairly.

If your every in a situation where you have to use this stuff, odds are the person your using it against deserves it. No one says you have to go overboard, just far enough.

night-robin

{Wouldn’t let me edit my message, but had more to add}

And kicking someone in the head in an effort to prevent them from getting up and harming you is by no means the same as telling someone to bite a curb and crushing their head. Your defending yourself so that your not harmed or killed. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

farhan

Ryan,

Thanks, and congrats on the win.

Night Robin,

Yup it was heather…;):
    she is cool….

psyops

Yes in the face!

Ahh the sound of my shin crashing into his grill, the sight of his chicklets flying out of his head, the lamentations of the women and children lol…… Music to my ears. Bust him up. Show him no mercy! Stomp his balls after you kick his face!!!!!!!!!!!!

don

One of my favorite sayings was introduced to me during an academy lecture by a long time SEB (SWAT) point man who is now a captain in my department. “If you open it, you get the Whole can.”

That being said, there can be a fine line between “stopping the threat” or “protecting yourself” and “excessive force” and becoming the “dominant aggressor”. Kicking someone in the head when they are on the ground with your shod foot could possibly result in charges against you for assault with a deadly weapon or aggravated assault. Hopefully, your articulation of the totality of the circumstances will be good enough to show that whatever force you used was reasonable.

I’m not saying that you should Never kick someone who is down – just be able to explain what you did and why. Be prepared to answer questions like “you kicked my client in the groin and he fell to the ground in pain, curled up in the fetal position. you saw that he was no longer attacking you. why did you then kick my client in the face, breaking his nose and jaw and giving him a concussion? why didn’t you take the opportunity to leave?” YMMV…

don

Btw, I say “BOOOO” on the title of the thread… At least put a link to a couple of female hotties in thongs somewhere in your post…

farhan

quote Don:

Btw, I say “BOOOO” on the title of the thread… At least put a link to a couple of female hotties in thongs somewhere in your post…

LOL that title brought you here didn’t it rofl2

don

quote Farhan:

LOL that title brought you here didn’t it rofl2

Yes and I feel so USED… :chair: ;):

psyops

Lawsuit?

You have to catch me first! Lol…Seriously If the man is still a threat he is tasting my boot. I am not talking about being irresponsible but c’mon now. I have been in plenty of fights and the law is not a concern of mine during the conflict.

greenbeanie

quote Farhan:

…did you cringe at idea of disfiguring someoneís face? What do you do to remedy it?

This may help you with your dilemma. The following is a passage from Rory Millerís book Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence.

If you are ever faced with extreme violence, you will have to make the decision to act. Make it now. You must decide what is worth fighting for, never forgetting that the question involves the risk of both dying and killing. You must decide now. Taking damage in the middle of a sh*tstorm of fists and boots is the wrong time to agonize over the moral dimension of conflict. There are things worth fighting for. List what they are.

Once you have made the list, these are your ìGoî buttons. You must commit that if one of them happens you will act ruthlessly and decisively. You cannot second-guess yourself in the moment.

magamike

I’ll save you the dramatic details, but I will say that I have lived through a situation where I crossed the line and used disproportionate force in a fight. The other guy started it, but in my rage I finished it and then some. I was questioned by the police, and ended up giving the guy a cash settlement to keep it out of the courts.

I only mention it as anecdotal evidence that Don’s advice is sound. Some people taking KM may think “anything goes” will hold up in court if they were attacked, but even if your life was at stake, there is disproportionate force and you can and will be investigated by the police if you cross that line, and you can be sued successfully even if there is no criminal case pursued.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: