Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga Instructor Training

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi Forum

I wanted to ask about your experiences in Instructor Training.

I did the UK IKMF course, It was 24 days and supposed to be 180 hours, though nearer 230 hours in reality. The training was in my humble opinion very, very good although heavily repetitive on punching amd kicking. I came away generally very impressed.

A colleague trained the same course in Poland and seemed to have a really hard time with loads of fall breaks on bare concrete floors and such like.

I just wondered how its done in the USA, or else where in the world or even if you guys do a specefic instructor training course, (do you cover it in another way).

Personally I found the training hard but great and finished feeling I had really achieved something. I also felt I had made an additional 26 real friends by the end of it. I believe 18 out of 27 passed.

Was curious about your experiences.

anonymous

So, after completing the course, were you able to teach all levels of Krav Maga or just some of them? Did you have any prior experience?

KM Instructor

Hi 🙂

I have trained for 32 years, I hold Teaching qualification in Wado ryu karate, Wing Chun, Kapap (only level 1 though), A system called Brithai, and I trained as a control and restraint instructor in special (Forensic) Hospitals.

I have no prior krav maga experience, (pre the course). The IKMF allows you to teach what you were taught basically. Although as a very junior instructor (Graduate 2) you cant grade your students etc.

The IKMF then requires you train and update at instructor seminars and be assesed by Senior International level Instructors. Its about quality control I guess.

In the UK if you attain G4 level you can grade your own students at junior levels on alternative gradings so that an Expert level assesse your students also. I think you also have to alternate Expert level Instructors once again on the basis of maintaining quality.

On the whole it seems a reasonable system I think.

The instructors course is very good and I think they turn out a reasonable standard of instructor. What do you guys in the USA do ?

I think it is important to maintain good quality control over the \”Krav maga instructor \” title. One group over here(UK) called the Realistic Self Defence something or another, were trying to market a 2 day \”close quarter combat instructor\”. They did not quite claim it was Krav Maga but inferred it was a simmilar thing. I gather they got a lot of unhappy Krav Maga instructors emailing 😀

I also understand another group is now trying to market a 5 day course or something simmilar.

So how do you guys become an instructor in the USA then? My understanding is that you guys have maintained a fairly high standard of Instructor?

la-revancha

Hey somerset

This topic comes up every now and then, and you’ll probably find some more ancillary information if you scroll through some of the old pages.

That being said, the best resource for this is John Whitman:

[email protected]

johnwhitman

The program for us is similar. The basic certification is 180-200 hours (although it goes in 3 stages, and you can teach the techniques you learn if you pass each stage). There are annual update requirements and ongoing training to increase knowledge.

clfmak

My TMA instructor trainin lasted like 9 months, but only two days a week (but we would be out if we weren’t training and running a lot during the week).

napoleon

I went through KM certification mid November. As John said above it’s about 200 total hours over 7 days.

For the trainning i went through there were 2 Phases trainning. Phase A which is just being able to learn the basics (what I went trhough). Phase B, which is a little more advanced.

We trainned for about 8 hours a day except for Saturday and Sunday when we did the mock teaching and trainning tests.

I had a BLAST during my certification. If i could I would do it again next week. I’m looking forward to going through Phase B.

Some people think i’m strange, but i love doing things that test me pyshically. I wanted to goto the Marines for that fact, but unfortunently i couldn’t.

anonymous

200 hours over 7 days??? 😕 So that’s roughly 30 hours a day? 😯 Sounds intense! 😉

So what exactly would you do during each day? Punch/kick drills? Lectures? Technique? 8)

Rough it is.

I went through about 3 years ago and it if it were any bit as challenging as it were then i definately feel you guys, however i can say that it was alot of fun and given the opprotunity I would go through again, the training is so intense that once you pass it all you really feel great about yourself and unique in being selected to instruct this awesome MA.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: