Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics krav maga is not effective in real life !

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    falconer

Re: krav maga is not effective in real life !

I chose Krav Maga because it is the culmination of every fighting technique I’ve learned in my life. While I’m new to Krav, I’m not new to fighting.

connorb

Reza, I’ve trained in Boxing for many years. Not once in that time do I recall being choked, choked with a shove, been placed into a headlock, bearhug etc. or had a bladed weapon come at me.

The guy’s and gals of krav maga aren’t training for nine or twelve 3-minute Marquis of Queensberry regulated rounds. They’re training to survive an assault so that they can make their way back home to their families.

BTW: You really don’t want to go one on one with a Sayeret Matkal or Commando Brigade “Oz’ type. CQC wouldn’t go well for you.

CB

lawman450

A guy in Iran commenting on Krav is like an Eskimo commenting on surfing Pipeline. Krav is becoming more and more popular with military and law enforcement units worldwide. Why? Because they need something that actually works since military personnel and cops actually have to fight in real world situations, not arenas.

tired-yeti

News reels are full of security camera footage showing IDF/police using it to defend against a knife attack and arresting the attacker WITHOUT having to open fire on them.

All that aside, anyone who has been in any actual, real fights–street fights–can just LOOK at Krav Maga and know it works. I used to work for the city in a special unit of the police dept that was staffed with EMTs instead of certified officers. I drove a paddy wagon from 8pm to 4am patrolling the tourist areas and the bad neighborhoods picking up anyone found drunk (or high on drugs) in public. So that the city could put out the image that we were “helping” them (and not just trying to keep them from hassling tourists), they used EMTs and not cops. Consequently, we were not allowed weapons or handcuffs. We were only allowed a flashlight of any size or design we chose. So…
    I’ve been in a lot of fights with grown men. I don’t study Krav Maga (never have; I’m a karate guy), but I’ve looked at it, and I know it would work.

I agree; however, that you DO NEED full contact sparring. Practictioners can either wear racket ball goggles or just omit the eye attacks and males can wear a groin cup. The simple reason is that practitioners need to know what it feels like to get hit full force and they need to learn how they react when it happens and how to regain control over themselves. You may know 1,000 great techniques but the first time you take a solid hit to the head and it hurts or stuns you, you’ll forget what to do and you’ll freeze. Students need to learn how to fight hurt, scared, or confused and you can’t learn it unless you have felt hurt, scared, or confused…you just can’t. There are no shortcuts. Panic kills and the most important survival skill you can learn is how to shut down panic and keep thinking. In reality, there is only one way to get self confidence. That’s to repeatedly impress yourself. You take on something you didn’t think you could do and you succeed at it, then your confidence grows. Imi could beat 10,000 men in a row and that wouldn’t show me that I could make the system work for me. When I was in the army, there were times I was scared but you’re taught to fight scared. The only way a student is going to have the confidence, for her to KNOW that she can make it work, is for her to have to test it when she’s scared or stunned. IMO, full contact sparring is a must. There’s no shortcut. Since he was a boxer and wrestler, I guarantee Imi sparred full contact a lot. Personally, I wouldn’t trust an instructor/dojo that didn’t have FC sparring–and I wouldn’t trust an instructor who wouldn’t spar with his senior students.

jjbklb

Sparing is important but Mandatory Full contact sparring with full force groin & head strikes should be optional.Today’s concerns over concussion in football spill over into martial arts.
    One or two full hits to the groin,even with a cup are enough for me.If this were to occur on a daily basis,the class size for most schools would slowly …dwindle ….to……..nothing.

ship

I have been doing Krav for about 3 months, and am surprised how much contact there is in my beginning class. There is no head contact, but full contact on the rest of the body, including groin. In fact, the sensei warns all of the men in the class at the beginning if there is going to be groin kicking to be sure we all have cups on; no cup then no class.

catapult

I like full contact but not necessarily full power for sparring. A full power punch to the body with boxing gloves is one thing. A full power bare elbow to the nose is quite another. Learning to fight scared and tired is important but Krav excels at that with its drills. Was it CJs Dad who named the Shark Tank drill where half a dozen people grab weapons and come after you just like what might happen in a dark alley in the wrong part of town?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I might have 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: