Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    j-frank

What is the Krav Maga Mindset and how is instilled?

dkst

attack, attack, attack.

Drills, drills, drills.

j-frank

Re:

quote \”dkst\:

attack, attack, attack.

Drills, drills, drills.

What type of drills/how do they instill mindset? I’d really like to know – can anyone help me with this?

kravron

Krav Maga mindset can be basically described in two words: Intense Agression

j-frank

How is intense aggression instilled into a timid person in such a way that it will manifest spontaneousley in an encounter on the street?

michael

Repetition…Repetition…Repetition

dkst

Good question, lets see if I can explain this to you.

Your instructor plays a big role in your ability to attack, attack, attack. All of the drills at my school are done in a dark room with super loud music. This brings in stress and causes you to focus more on the drill.

Once you learn different chokes the drills get more intense. You close your eyes and once the choke is applied you react, open your eyes, get out of the choke and attack. While you are doing that another partner attacks you with a different choke. This creates stress, you basically have two attackers and you have to be able to react.

There is a drill where you close your eyes and your parnter pushes you with a pad. you have to get your balance and react, the pad can be held low for groin or high for punches. This teaches you to attack the opening.

All the drills are based on reaction, knowing the threat and reacting fast to get out of it. As you get in higher levels the stress, the attacks, and number of attackers increase.

kurtuan

Never give up. We train to exhaustion (and beyond) this helps us build a survival mindset. Continue to fight despite physical exhaustion. We also train from a disadvantaged position. As dkst said we often start in a passive stance with our eyes closed (a position of disadvantage, simulating an suprise attack), multiple opponents, starting off in a vulnerable position, etc. These are the type of drills that help instill a survival mindset, if you can defend yourself in the worst of conditions, you will be better prepared to defend yourself in most other conditions.

j-frank

Good stuff – Thanks

mongo2k6

Re: Krav Maga Mindset

quote \”J Frank\:

What is the Krav Maga Mindset and how is instilled?

I’m a newbie student but I’m quickly learning the mindset is intense focused aggression with a never surrender attitude.

However, instilling it is an interesting question. Is it a sink or swim thing or is it a reflection of that person’s character?

john26

Drills

I just found the above information about the drills really interesting. The drills seem very true to life which makes perfect sense. How long will you have to be training before you get to do these types of drills? I think they sound like exactly what I need. The problem I have is that I don’t have a lot of confidence and when faces by an aggressive person I am soad to admit it I am pretty scared and my body has at times froze. Not very manly. Has anyones confidence in this respect been strengthend by Krav Maga? Also are the instructors in general patient? One other thing has many of you taken your level 1 test. I have heard a bit about this but not quite sure exactly what happens. Does it usually take quite a while to do level 1?

mongo2k6

Re:

There is no shame in freezing up in a stressful situation. It has happened to a lot of people at one time or another. At least, in the case of physical confrontations, you’re aware of it and taking positive steps to fix it and that takes courage.

In my experience a person’s confidence comes from knowing what to do in a given situation due to repetitive training. This is true of all things life may throw at you.

As you become more knowledgable and proficient in a skillset your confidence will grow as will your ability to properly respond. You won’t even have to \”think\” about it – you’ll just react.

guyk
    quote :

. The drills seem very true to life which makes perfect sense. How long will you have to be training before you get to do these types of drills? I think they sound like exactly what I need. The problem I have is that I don’t have a lot of confidence and when faces by an aggressive person I am soad to admit it I am pretty scared and my body has at times froze. Not very manly. Has anyones confidence in this respect been strengthend by Krav Maga? Also are the instructors in general patient? One other thing has many of you taken your level 1 test. I have heard a bit about this but not quite sure exactly what happens. Does it usually take quite a while to do level 1?

John 26,
    In Level 1 you’ll learn good drills, in fact after your first lesson you’ll probably have learned something effective. Never mind your confidence at the beginning, you’ll strengthen physically and mentally over time. You’ll also learn alot about yourself. They say the moves become instinctive and they do provided you train regularly. From the tone of your post I think you’ll come to enjoy the training once you get used to the rigorous aspects of it. John 26 this will do you good. Yes your confidence will increase, it has to. The instructors will work with you and you will get out of it what you put into it.
    I’ve taken the Level 1 test, don’t worry you’ll be ready when it comes time to take it. You, yourself will know if your ready or not for the test. If you want real world self defense and a confidence builder…….this is for you.
    I have come to enjoy it tremendously.

john26

Thank you both for your replies it was helpful.

tamar

J Frank –

The Krav Maga Mindset is quite simple \”go home alive!!\”

You need to overwhelm your attacker/s. You need to focus on the true threat at that moment. Focus on simultaneous defense and offense – yes, at the SAME TIME!

dkst said it well – drills of all sorts get you ready for real situations – they tire you, get you mad, frustrated, exhausted, confused etc…but that makes you stronger mentally and physically.

It takes time – but it truly works!

Tamar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: