Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga modifications

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    tech94

So I ran across some old posts to the forum and I read one by Ryan. I clicked on his website links in his signature and saw that he’s changed his websites and has gone with fit to fight name. I watched the video linked below and it appears he’s modified some techniques. I actually like this particular change and have been doing it this way since taking a Tony Blauer seminar years ago. What do you guys think about these types of changes? Also he eludes to having also simplified other techniques and removed some altogether from his new curriculum.

http://youtu.be/9hdqlgmv51o

cinnamongirl

Re: Krav Maga modifications

I would NEVER use this technique! First of all, I don’t this he’s right when he says that the attack is compromised when you block and strike at the same time. It takes a bit of practice, sure, but one you have it down, I think it would be pretty effective. Second, when moves his hand down to grab the wrist holding the knife, he directs the knife to point directly to his side. It wouldn’t take much for the attacker to re-direct and stab in the stomach.

That being said, I am far from an expert, I’d love to hear what any of the instructors on this forum would have to say about this! (I pretty sure I know what my instructors would say. I’d repeat it, but I don’t think I can use that kind of language!)

kmman

There’s no burst either. I don’t buy it. Sorry.

tech94

The way it is taught in the SPEAR system is similar to this. The right arm in this defense against a right hand attack goes into the outside 90 position with the elbow to wrist running along the sternum to collar bone and neck area. While the left arm is blocking punch or knife. Same defense against both essentially. Bursting in causes the forearm and elbow to be striking implements and allow the defender to then wrap the arm with knife in it and defend with combatives or clinch and elbow, knees to attacker. The outside 90 technique works well to keep attacker outside of tackles/take downs and bear hugs as well. John Whitman teaches this technique as well, though he doesn’t use the “outside 90” term that Blauer does.

tech94

http://youtu.be/VDuvhi2bpM0
    John whitman’s variation. Seems pretty similar in the initial dealing with the attack

ryan

My inbox has blown up regarding this. It’s a KMW forum, so this will be my only comment: the video is a two minute reference for instructors, taken out of an entire curriculum, a curriculum that is integrated and progressive.

I’m easy to reach outside of this forum should anyone choose to do so. All the best in your training.

tech94

Ryan, I have nothing but respect for you, your contribution to Krav Maga and insight you have shared on this forum. I apologize if I have caused you any problems with this post. It was not intended to be bashing you in anyway. I honestly think we need to explore modernization of the techniques and this struck a positive chord with me. Again, I apologize for anything negative I may have caused you

ryan

No, no, no! Absolutely no offense at all.

Take care, all!

traveler

Most of the time I use a standard screwdriver but occasionally I have to use the Philip to get the job done. I’d much rather have the tool and choose when to use it than find myself without a tool.

There are so many variations of different techniques some I like, some I don’t, others I like but don’t work for me, more than likely because of how I execute.

Gotta give it up to anyone who puts enough thought and time into trying something new to evolve

mrbump

quote tech94:

So I ran across some old posts to the forum and I read one by Ryan. I clicked on his website links in his signature and saw that he’s changed his websites and has gone with fit to fight name. I watched the video linked below and it appears he’s modified some techniques. I actually like this particular change and have been doing it this way since taking a Tony Blauer seminar years ago. What do you guys think about these types of changes? Also he eludes to having also simplified other techniques and removed some altogether from his new curriculum.

http://youtu.be/9hdqlgmv51o

I see few issues here.

First I think is a misunderstanding of what the simultaneous counter is for. It is meant to be a hard strike, but not a devastating knock out blow (although it’d be nice). It is there to break the attack pattern and give room to go on the offensive or run, not finish the guy. A knife attacker is unlikely to stab just once, more likely it will a crazed assault with repeated stabs and slashes. You are going to struggle to block more than once and grabbing the stabbing are is unlikely. Punching them in the face puts them ‘back in their shell’ and disrupts the attack.

Second. If you can’t do a strong block and a strong hit, it is prob because you aren’t bursting right and throwing your weight forward. Anyone should be able to do it if they are taught right.

Third, if the guy is trying to make a pin cushion out do you, he isn’t going to stand there whilst you grab his arm, move it down and across etc. particularly if you haven’t dazed him and he’s fully amped up. He will repeatedly stab and slash in all directions and has a second hand too, he’s not going let you do that. I can only think the guy came up with this variation whilst drilling with a cooperative partner and hasn’t ‘pressure tested’ it against realistic and determined attackers in the gym.

Forth, KM is a system that has been developed since the 40’s and is still being tested and developed by people who faced real violence, real knife attacks. How many times has someone tried to stab this guy and how many times has he used this defence successfully? I know who’s techniques I’d trust more… If a technique isn’t working for you, you are probably doing it wrong. If your instructor can’t show you how to do it right, find another instructor.

catapult

WHOA! Bump, you may want to research who Ryan Hoover is and reconsider your condescending comments. Hint: 3rd degree black belt, co-author of 3 books with Darren Levine, etc.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote catapult:

WHOA! Bump, you may want to research who Ryan Hoover is and reconsider your condescending comments. Hint: 3rd degree black belt, co-author of 3 books with Darren Levine, etc.

Maybe I missed something but I don’t think he was attacking Ryan, just voicing his opinion on the specific technique.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, debating technique has always been welcomed in fact encouraged here in the forums.

He brought up what he feels are valid concerns with the defense, I’d much rather have students question things and learn the answers then follow blindly like it was gospel.

mrbump

quote catapult:

Fair enough, he obv knows his stuff.

mrbump

Indeed, I’ve nothing against the guy, although I did question his pedigree against the KM curriculum as it stands having not heard of him. Obviously he does at least have a deep understanding of what he’s talking about. I didn’t and still don’t like the technique shown in the vid and to me, if anything, it looks far more complicated than simultaneous attack and counter… Then again, I’ve never had a problem with the ‘traditional’ technique. Still, he clearly has better credentials than me and if that is what he teaches and he’s confident it works then fair enough. There is more than one way to skin the same cat.

catapult

quote CJs Dad:

Maybe I missed something but I don’t think he was attacking Ryan, just voicing his opinion on the specific technique.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, debating technique has always been welcomed in fact encouraged here in the forums.

He brought up what he feels are valid concerns with the defense, I’d much rather have students question things and learn the answers then follow blindly like it was gospel.

Hey CJs Dad,

Debating technique is always a good thing. I just thought the tone was a bit disrespectful to Ryan, implying he’s a poser….

“a misunderstanding of what the simultaneous counter is for”.

“Anyone should be able to do it if they are taught right.”

“I can only think the guy came up with this variation whilst drilling with a cooperative partner and hasn’t ‘pressure tested’ it against realistic and determined attackers in the gym.”

“If a technique isn’t working for you, you are probably doing it wrong. If your instructor can’t show you how to do it right, find another instructor.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: