Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi

I am an IKMF Instructor and really impressed by Krav Maga generally, (especially after teaching traditionl arts for 14 years). My question to the forum is basically is there much difference between the techniques and tactics of the different organisations.

I own the KMAA 5 DVD set and it seems very simmilar to my own instructor training but I have heard that the IKMA syllabus for example is slightly more grappling based.

Just wondered what the forum members have found.

Oh, please, please dont turn this to politics, this is a technical question.

johnwhitman

Somerset,
    I had to delete a couple of posts already. This question will inevitably turn political, so I’ll give you a quick answer and then, I’m sure, have to delete this thread soon after.

To my knowledge, the IKMA isn’t more grappling oriented than either us or the IKMF. I know that they’ve mentioned adding grappling material, and for some time (until the recent troubles) I was comparing notes with some of them. It was logical for everyone to update their grappling techniques in the aftermath of the bjj exposure. I haven’t compared notes with them in quite some time, so I guess it’s possible, but unlikely.

For us, we teach basic ground skills that we believe someone needs on the street. We don’t focus it on anywhere near as much as a bjj system would, and our focus is on getting up whenever/as soon as possible, so that you have more options.

Krav Maga Styles

Hi John,

Thankyou for your intelligent and measured reply. I am a new Krav Maga Instructor (I graduated under Eyal in May) and was so impressed with the system after teaching traditional arts.

In spite of the politics issue, Krav Maga is a great system and although I have not discovered it until later in my martial arts career, I am so glad I did.

I suppose a better question would have been are there different tactics/approaches in the differing organisations but I did not want to venture into the \”mine is better than yours debate\”.

You have a grat forum here…is there not a no politics rule?

On simmilar Forums for other arts, the Forums often have a no name calling, no politics rule. It still creeps in a little but it easier to control and persistant political posters are deleted or barred.

Just a thought 😀

kravron

Somerset, I would like to say that of all people who come here from other KM \”styles\” you have been the least political of all. I find your post so far honest and heartfelt in developing a system that you love. Your welcome here anytime as far as I am concerned.

Styles

I have seen all the politics before, its always the same irrespective of style. I used to teach wing chun in the late 1980’s when everyone was squabling about who was teaching pure and who was not. People were actually fighting over it and it was all nonesense anyway. Money and ego usually.

My own experience of the IKMF has been fairly positive but I dont see how a financial/legal issue between organisations effect us as students or instructors. Often through mischief, manipulation or manolevence people involve them selves in political arguments but to what end, its like 2 fleas argueing over who \”owns\” the dog

jl

ikmf

somerset,
    It’s always nice to have someone come to the forum that has no agenda. you will be a welcome poster on this forum. As for the differences in styles, the roots are the same but sometimes I think that there will always be some things that are taught a little different know matter the art. You have experience in Wing chun, so there may be something in wing chun you liked that fits into the KM way of thinking (strike first, strike hard, strike often) when protecting ones self. A good example is the relatively recent popularity of BJJ. Now I see a lot of discussion on ground tactics and how it can be integrated into KM. Maybe more so than we’ve seen before. Anyway I’m glad you’re here and I look forward to seeing your posts. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: