Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    markx3

So just for fun….I wanted everyone’s opinion on laser sites for handguns. I don’t believe they are a replacement for iron sights, but I feel they have their place and can be a huge AID to iron sights.

Iron sight technology has been around for a few hundred years and I feel it is time for technology to help with the tried and true system.

I think they have evolved significantly over the last 20 years. They are not the big clunkers of the mid 80s and throughout the 90s. Also a few of the major brands like LaserMax and CTC have tested them extensively. They have been drop tested, submersed in water, etc and are able to hold up.

If the military / LE use ACOG’s, etc for their rifles, then what is the difference in using something for handguns? Yes rifles usually shoot at longer ranges then handguns, but AR’s etc come with iron sights just like handguns.

Why are high tech optics etc okay for rifles but from what I’ve read looked down on for handguns? Yes a laser site isn’t an optic, but the purpose is the same. To aid the shooter in hitting the target.

I like them for the deterrent factor.
    I like them for low light conditions.
    For use in point and shoot situations where your gun isn’t at eye level (off angle shooting).

I would guess that under the extreme stress of needing your handgun for self defense, and for people who don’t train often, or correctly for combat applications, the laser would be a huge aid.

I’ve also read stories where LE officers claim they didn’t have to shoot because of the laser.

Thoughts?

Re: Lasers for Handguns

I have softened on this over the years, I used to consider them as toys or training aids only. Recently I have come to appreciate them in conjuntion with small, close range back-up guns. The laser allows most folks to really extend their range and cosistancy over the supplied iron sights. There is a specialized unit within my Department that has started using them in this role and qual scores have soared along with end user confidence.

As far as Military use, the combination of IR lasers and night vision has been responsible for the deaths of copious amounts of smelly bearded men.

I’m not sure about the deterrent factor, until I see a real, unredacted case report, I think I’m going to consider that an urban legend. Somewhat like the sound of a pump shotgun being racked causing a bad guy to flee. Both sound fine, but I want to see Proof before I spread it as gospel.

Other users thoughts?

markx3

Jeremy, just curious but what brand has your department been using?

Does anyone have experience with green lasers yet?

kirsten

quote Jeremy Stafford:

I have softened on this over the years, I used to consider them as toys or training aids only. Recently I have come to appreciate them in conjuntion with small, close range back-up guns. The laser allows most folks to really extend their range and cosistancy over the supplied iron sights. There is a specialized unit within my Department that has started using them in this role and qual scores have soared along with end user confidence.

As far as Military use, the combination of IR lasers and night vision has been responsible for the deaths of copious amounts of smelly bearded men.

I’m not sure about the deterrent factor, until I see a real, unredacted case report, I think I’m going to consider that an urban legend. Somewhat like the sound of a pump shotgun being racked causing a bad guy to flee. Both sound fine, but I want to see Proof before I spread it as gospel.

Other users thoughts?

I did see a transient shat himself when a shotgun was racked then shoved in his face… made for messy handcuffing… would have been better had he just ran away. Good thing the chief hooked him and I was just moral support!

I am also leary of the lasers just from the crappy shooting I saw on the range, then the instructor pulled it off and the un-named Sheriff finally qualified. But things change I suppose.

quote Kirsten:

I did see a transient shat himself when a shotgun was racked then shoved in his face… made for messy handcuffing… would have been better had he just ran away. Good thing the chief hooked him and I was just moral support!

I am also leary of the lasers just from the crappy shooting I saw on the range, then the instructor pulled it off and the un-named Sheriff finally qualified. But things change I suppose.

Ahhh…But was it the racking of the action or the muzzle in the face that caused the gastric failure? And at that point, wouldn’t a ticket for something have sufficed, rather than a booking? Just sayin…..

inky

I use a CTC laser on my LCP, don’t see much difference in grouping with or without but hey it’s a bug gun, i just figure at night it sights me in faster and if i ever have to pull it out the laser is rather a good indicator that you are now the target and you should leave the vicinity post haste.

mara-jade

I’ve heard a a few good reviews on Crimson Trace. They’re easy to install, very reliable but very pricey

http://www.crimsontrace.com/

kirsten

Not sure… He dropped the 13 inch kitchen knife like it was a hot potato (this was before Tasers and in a confined space where OC wouldn’t have worked- ventilation to the jail/dispatch- cause I know what your thinking!). But the scatter gun did the trick. Nope, no ticket for trying to attack a dispatcher with a huge knife… good thing they were a great dispatcher or the bad guy might have recieved paper.. 🙂 J/K

russell

at the shop i work at we sell the crimson trace lasers (a lot of them) and i tell everybody the same thing DONT TRUST THEM!, murphys law says that if something can go wrong it will, batterys die, lasers get bumped, and people tend to forget the basics (front sight, rearsight and squeeze the trigger) i tell people to train with them on AND off dont let the laser replace the eyes

that said i do have a laser on my ar15 BUT its a back up to my red dot (i dont have back up sights yet, i’m looking at the magpul back ups, jeremy any thoughts on those?)

as for the shotgun,when someone asks me about a home defense gun(as normal they are looking at handguns) the first thing i show them is a 12 gauge pump shotgun! its the best thing, a sherrif friend of mine(who just retired) told me he pointed his handgun at people, he pointed his ar at people, but all he had to do was rack the shotgun and they stopped what they were doing !. but the second gun i show them is the taurus judge, a handgun in .410 shotgun 🙂

as for the laser sights we got in one of the new laser aim rear sights yesterday (its the rear sight with a built in laser) if anybody has any exp with it please let me know

russell

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: