Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fixxxer

Due to my schedule, I cannot attend the Force Training Division classes in my area. When I take the “civilian” version, what type of things am I missing out on in my training?

co611

Re: LE vs Civilian

We’ll, if what you are referring to is LE instructor training versus taking “civilian” training at your local gym then here is my take:

At the Force Div. LE instructor training you will learn a combination of combatives, self defense, arrest & control, edge weapon defense, gun defense, it all depends on what series you sign up for. Usually a week of training, very compact.

For the “civilian” classes, without any prior training you will probable start off in level 1 classes where they focus on combatives and self defense. They may mix in a gun or knife defense to expose you to what is learned at the next levels.

fixxxer

Thank you for replying.

I am NOT referring to any instructor courses – only end user classes taught at my local Training Center. 2x/week they hold FTD classes for local officers (not an instructor course). They still hold Level 1 and Level 2 courses for non-LE, however.

I assume I would miss out on escape/evade & draw drills, etc. My Intro class isn’t until next week and I didn’t want to wait until then to ask. I apologize in advance for my exuberance.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Couple of key differences:

Don’t forget weapon retention in and out of holster

And in the force material its address the immediate danger and simultaneous attack followed by disengage and move to higher level of force IE deploy. In handgun for example you still do the disarm but you deploy your own weapon rather than tap/rack the attackers.

You will might also be exposed to such things as 3rd party protection sooner in Force then in civilian as its more applicable.

Series 1-5 of the material is covered here under course discriptions

LINK

There are also several specialty modules and department specific training for example air marshals where the material is more environment based.

Hope that helped~

fixxxer

It does a bit. These appears to be major additions to the LE/Military training that I’m missing out on:

Weapon Retention (in the holster, out of the holster, standing and on the ground)
    Defenses Against Long-Gun Threats
    Long-Gun Retention
    Utilizing an Impact Weapon for Defensive Purposes and Striking
    Ground Fighting and Tactics for Law Enforcement Application
    Arrest and Control Tactics
    Searching and Hancuffing
    Hostage Situations
    Special Operations (ie. Suicide/Homicide Bomber)

Disappointing that I can’t make the LE-only class, but I’ll have to make do for now.

Thank you folks for your help.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Well your right there is a lot of material to cover. You can always go to one of the regional training centers for an LE seminar. I know Kirsten at KM Oregon has a few upcoming courses series 1 & 5 I think as well as something else in the works but I’ll let her share that.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Fixxxer:

Weapon Retention (in the holster, out of the holster, standing and on the ground)
    Defenses Against Long-Gun Threats
    Long-Gun Retention
    Utilizing an Impact Weapon for Defensive Purposes and Striking
    Ground Fighting and Tactics for Law Enforcement Application
    Arrest and Control Tactics
    Searching and Hancuffing
    Hostage Situations
    Special Operations (ie. Suicide/Homicide Bomber)

Oh and thanks for posting the list, now I got to go run out and learn suicide bomber!

kirsten

If you can, try to make the LE specific training as much as possible. You really are missing out on some very important training. Take the civilian training as often as you can, but make an effort to participate in the Force Training. The retention techniques for your weaponS (plural!!) is paramount, then the gun defenses, ground fighting for LE, and arrest and control.

We do have a very exciting seminar coming up that is EXCLUSIVE for Law Enforcement, Military and all Civilian Force Instructors only. I am kinda letting the cat out of the bag early… It’s going to be an AWESOME annual Force Event with a FREE seminar… It will have arrest and control, 3rd party protection, a FREE day long seminar, and we may have to add some ground fighting, as this is already filling up fast and I just sent out flyers yesterday…

Okay, that’s enough of a teaser for now…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: