Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge leg stretching machines

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    skibum

I have trouble with my side kicks and round kicks. The reason is that the range of motion for me in the area required for good kick at least above the waist hight is very limited. Regular stretches (from Bob Anderson’s book for example) do not seem to give desirable results. I am thinking that a good stretch machine (one not putting strain on the knee) might help. Does anyone have positive experience with such machines and can recommend or warn about a particular model? Thanks in advance.
    Alex

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: leg stretching machines

I have an older version of this one it helps out a lot with jumpy, spinny, flying things.

blindfold

I’m positive they are used to torture enemy combatants into submission.

They do work well. Go to Century’s website and they have one or two. The kids in class count the # of turns you can make and 17 turns is a full split. That equals out to no children anymore as well.

cmetalman

I just tie my left leg to my wife’s car and my right leg to my daughter’s car and and have them drive in opposite direction until I say ” UNCLE”

skibum

Guys, thanks a lot. Cmetalman, that sounds painful. I ended up buying the one Hazardous Smoker suggested. Will let yo’all know the results. :o)

quote skibum:

Guys, thanks a lot. Cmetalman, that sounds painful. I ended up buying the one Hazardous Smoker suggested. Will let yo’all know the results. :o)

That’s great let us know how painful it really is 🙂

cmetalman

extremely painful ! can’t go anywhere still waiting for my legs to come back.

gwalsh-d92

Try this book, Pavel rocks.

http://www.amazon.com/Relax-into-Stretch-Flexibility-Mastering/dp/0938045288

kmcat

Our head instructor is not a big fan of high kicks. His take is that it is ok to train with them and do them for exercise, but when it comes to practical application it is better to “kick them in the groin, watch them fall down, then kick them in the head”.

quote KMCat:

Our head instructor is not a big fan of high kicks. His take is that it is ok to train with them and do them for exercise, but when it comes to practical application it is better to “kick them in the groin, watch them fall down, then kick them in the head”.

So far that’s pretty much what we have learned, although I am still at level 1.

We are taught that it is easier to have a high kick blocked because it has to travel further and thus the groin kick or kick to the upper leg is the optimal choice.

That being said I would love to have the flexibility and strength to perform high kicks.

skibum

I agree with both KMCat and H-Smoker. I am a green belt, so it is embarassing not to be able to kick above waist level, although as far as practicality – Smoker is correct IMO. A groin or knee kick is much faster and more difficult to defend against. I need to improve my flexibility.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: