Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    skaldgrimnir

‘Lo and such.

My name is Ted. I came across these forums when doing some research after I found a German translation of Imi’s Krav Maga book. I have not practiced Krav Maga, but I hope to take advantage of a free class that a location in Bedford, TX is offering in the next few weeks.

A little background on me. I am a 27 year old Network Engineer. I spend 10 hours a day in front of computer systems, fixing problems, and being sedate – not to mention, I am a black hole in regards to food. I am 6’6″, and about 320 pounds. That’s easy to tell that I am overweight and out of shape. I have not done a lot of exercising in the last 8 years, and I am really regretting it.

Currently, I am trying to get back in to shape through Diet and Exercise. I am currently waiting on the revised version of Ori Hofmeklers new ‘Warrior Diet.’ I am not sure if it is any good, but it was recommended to me by some soldier buddies of mine, along with some of his exercise programs. They say he was Israeli Special Forces, which I found somewhat apropos considering I am developing an interest in KM.

I am also planning on buying some kettlebells for working out at home. Other than that, I am running and doing some light weights at my Gym (Work Gym, and no one is there when I am. No one to spot me mean light weights only.)

I am hoping that all of the above will help me get into shape, and that getting into shape will really let me enjoy Krav Maga.

I’d appreciate any advice, encouragement, or support that is offered, not to mention I’d love to hear what worked for other people getting into shape and learning KM.

Anyway, thanks for letting me Rant.

Ted

mara-jade

Re: ‘Lo to all

Welcome Ted! Nice Avatar – somebody likes Dune thumbsup

I highly recommend the new KM book – lots of pictures, easy to follow and feel free to ask any questions. We’ve all started at the beginning like you. Some us start over more than once (like me :))

What rant – just sound anxious to start to me :wav:

Enjoy your class thumbsup

vwr32

I have a friend who is about 100 lbs heavier than you, but nowhere near as tall and a good 10 years older. I wish he had the same interest in making some changes… even if only for his wife and kids. Kudos to you for taking the steps in the right direction.

I wasn’t overweight when I began (well, not by much), but it still started with a physical exam and the go-ahead from someone who had a vested interest in milking my health insurance for a long time to come. Twenty-five years of smoking and a fairly sedentary lifestyle warranted at least a checkup before starting classes in my mind. I’m guessing most people don’t get an exam before signing up, just an idea.

I hate to hear anyone picking a “diet”… but I don’t know enough about the warrior diet to say anything about it. When my wife and I decided to make some changes, we dropped the terms “diet and exercise” from our vocabulary simply because those words have such negative connotations.

“A Diet” meant sacrifice. So instead of picking the latest diet, we talked about what food and exercise really is. As a society we’ve decided food is necessary to ward off boredom; to provide comfort when we’re sad or help us celebrate; to punish us when we feel self-pity or reward us for accomplishment. It’s the answer for everything other than the one thing it means to our body: fuel. And “exercise” meant breathing uncomfortably hard and sweating when there’s a perfectly good couch in front of the TV.

We approached it from a different angle this time, we wanted a healthier and more active lifestyle. Our mindset changed from “I can’t have the foods I want” to “I want foods that do ____ for me“. I love my krav class and want to be able to meet the expectations… so I actually look forward to working out. It’s not just lifting weights, it’s getting up early on the weekends and hiking. It’s turning off the tv in the evenings and going for a walk. It’s telling myself I’m going to push myself as hard in the gym as my instructor pushes me in class. The one common denominator in any fitness plan is consistency imo, and that comes with a lifestyle change. I’m rambling lol.

Just to get the ball rolling, here’s a website called “world’s healthiest foods” which I refer to quite a bit. They list common foods you can actually find in the local grocery and give you all the health benefits associated with them. Interesting reading if u’re looking to build a menu and why you might want to add a particular item. http://www.whfoods.org/foodstoc.php

Welcome to the site. 🙂

skaldgrimnir

Thanks for the welcome Mara Jade… The question begs, however. Are you to SW as my Avatar is to Dune?

VWR32. Thank you, that was a very insightful and positive welcoming post. I agree with you that the word Diet has a bad connotation. I would like to use the word Diet in it’s traditional sense… what we eat, not something just to lose weight.

But I agree, your mindset is one I would like to gain in regards to “Exercise” and “Diet.” It used to be that I would spend all my days off in front of the TV. I am slowly changing that, by going out to more places such as Clubs, Museums, Botanical Gardens, etc… and by actively being more social. Slowly, I am liking it more and more.

I am just trying to do the same with my health as well.

As for the Doctor, that’s why I am holding off for a few weeks before I join the class. Appointments, etc.

In regards to the “Warrior Diet,” it is based on the ideas of under eating (Water, Coffee, and Tea – along with fresh veggie and fruit juices) during the day, and eating to satiation at night, but even that has some rules. You cut out sugars, you eat more fruits and veggies, etc. In addition, you do eat after exercise, which is usually a recovery meal including protein and carbs.

Finally, thanks for the website. It looks very interesting.

giant-killer

Welcome! Are you German or speak German (because of the German Imi book)? Anyway, Willkommen!

mara-jade

“Thanks for the welcome Mara Jade… The question begs, however. Are you to SW as my Avatar is to Dune?”

Very perceptive KM Padawan :D. Yup kinda of a SW junkie. All 3 last movies I took the day off for each opening. Episode I, I got the day off by taking my BOSS with me thumbsup.

I’ve tried DIETS and they just don’t work for me. I’m a a fast food junkie and I know it. Hubby and I are working on fixing that again in the very near future and get back to training:box2:

guerriere

Overweight desk jockey here! :waves:

The first time I started krav was after losing about 30 lbs, but then after a year a bunch of stuff got in my way, all of it keeping me on my keester, and I gained all I’d lost plus the original 30 plus another ten. I gave up waiting to get back to that original starting point, swallowed my pride, and went back. I promise you, it is possible to get started!

I have the most trouble with the warm-up stuff, actually. Like, push-ups and sit-ups are just not possible when you have a big gut. But you can do push-ups against a wall or a table pose and crunches so there’s no excuse to wimp out in warm-ups. Getting down and back up quickly is really tough for me but I do what I can. I got this way partly by hating sports and when stuff gets tough in class I try to relate it back to real life scenarios instead of fitness or sports. Like, the “sprawl” (similar to burpees) just isn’t in the cards for me right now, but I can imagine the bad guy dropped his gun and I need to pick it up and get back into the fight. That makes the floor seem a lot closer somehow. :p

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

skaldgrimnir

Giant Killer – No, I do not speak German, but some friends of mine do. But I do love books, even if they are in a language I cannot read. At least the pictures are prett… well, there.

MJ – That’s great. Always best to get the Honcho on your side.

Guerriere – Well, my Health Insurance is supposed to kick in Jan 1st, so I am planning a physical, and then starting KM, but your physical prowess does seem slightly better than mine. But I plan to stop making excuses, and just do it.

Heh. Anywa, thanks for all the welcomes.

guerriere

Good for you! Until insurance kicks in try taking 20-30 minute walks 3-4x/day to give yourself a little stamina. If you can do some light yoga, that will build up some muscle. Try the “yoga for round bodies” video. It’s hokey and new-agey but they have great suggestions for how to modify holds and poses. A lot of the stretches used in warm-ups are actually yoga poses, so getting a start on that will help you out in January.

giant-killer

Good news then, Skald, because the book is also available in English: “How to Defend Yourself Against Armed Assault” by Imi Lichtenfeld and Eyal Yanilov.

Just in case you don’t have it yet. Nothing wrong with the pictures, but saying you like a SD defense book for the pictures is like saying you buy Playboy for the articles… 🙂

skaldgrimnir

I DO like Playboy for the articles. Heh.

Yeah, there are a couple of books I plan on getting. The one I’ve seen tossed around in forums here, plus the Imi book.

giant-killer

They are both really good. Imi’s just got weapons defenses, the other (“Complete Krav Maga”) also shows chokes, bear hugs and basic combatives. So they compliment each other.

bobg

SkaldGrimnir, sent you a PM.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: