Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Low round kick defenses in streetfight. Shin or no shin?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    guillemdg

For Caliwt from Spain(Barcelona)

Hi everyone!! Caliwt, i’m doing wt in spain and this summer i’ll be in san diego, could you tell me schools to practice wt in san diego and in los angeles(i’m going there too).I’ll be very apreciate of recieving your help. 😀
    ps1:You are doing wt from emin boztepe?aren’t you
    ps2:Sorry for my English… 😕 😳

caliwt

Ok, I tried to PM this but thats disabled, sorry….http://www.EBMAS.net lists all instructors, but we have none in San Diego currently. The National HQ is in LA.

Click on my profile here at KM forum and go to that link and PM me and we can talk more. I am California_Kid over there…..
    8)

clfmak

I live in San Diego, and although I don’t know the name of the place, I know that there’s a wing chun (I know its not the same) school here.

susannah

Well if you are in a stressful situation, you can prolly take more pain than in a sparring session, which is still a far cry from real-life life-threatening situation.

I agree w/… Ryan ?, was it. I don’t like kicks, cause they don’t stop fights. That’s a bit over-stating it, but basicly it is so. Too much of a risk for too little profit. Striking is better, clinching and kneeing is better, etc. A single kick that stops the fight isn’t your common case – it’s the exception to the rule.

Low round-kick incoming ? Probably would just crash in w/a double-fist, so that if the kick came from my left, my left hand would strike face-level and guard my chin a bit, and my right hand would hit the chest/throat level. That should get him off balance in the least.

Theoretically the opponent could change that kick into a high kick and hit me in the temple and take me out. Harder w/me moving in, and then again – fighting is a high-risk situation. I think that direct counter-attack is one of the tactics that gives you the best chances. Guarantees ? No-one can give’em.

I like WT:s center-line idea and really putting the pressure on your opponent by attacking relentlessly. That’s beautiful. The execution is just too find-tuned to my liking. I like bare-fist boxing style more, because I believe in aggressiveness and adrenaline, which makes me like gross-motor movements better. I’m kind of thinking along the lines that you can take quite some damage if you aren’t in very bad luck, so make sure your punches do more.

jasonmaki

the anatomical advantage

A lot of good thoughts, and some bad ones. I can tell some have not been in too many violent confrontations with people that can actually kick. Many of the things said would, in fact, result in the fight ending. I have personally ended and seen many fights on the streets end with a powerful kick, and not just to the face. I think Amir Perets and Bas Rutten both have already adequately explained the defenses for such kicks. In Amir’s dvd, he does one sequence where he does move back to cause the kick to miss and then he counters, which you could do quite effectively after the miss if you know your footwork. The last thing I would say is that I learned in a wu shu kung fu system some years ago that, instead of going shin to shin, you can develop your peroneus muscle and wrap it around the shin for protection. I have kicked metal poles on the street with nothing more than a mild bruise using this method. It takes practice, work, and a good understanding of anatomy and muscle attachmnets. Hope this sheds some light on the matter and as Amir has told me in e-mails, Be Safe!

susannah

99% of people cannot kick well enough to do enough damage to knock you out, if you just go forward to drive them off balance. If someone really loads up enough to do real damage, you can see it a mile away. Then again, esp. in a cold country where I live – you’d have to be really flexible to do any decent kicking without any warmup without hurting yourself. Clothing is also an issue. Kicking compromises your balance and your defence for a good bit. You are vulnerable during – and especially after the kick, unless it lands real hard or the opponent backs up enough for you to get your fighting stance back before more contact happens.

Of course fights can end in a kick – but that should not happen to you, if you have decent skills and you can take a bit of punishment. The greatest risk is if you fight an opponent that is much bigger. But that’s trouble anyway, and you still need to get in. Dodging the kick isn’t a no-no in my mind, but it’s better to burst in than back-pedal, cause that oft puts you in a worse and worse situation letting the opponent keep attacking. It is also the wrong choice mental mode-wise. As I said, I believe that the downright aggressive approach is the best. It’s not perfect, but it gives you the best odds. Just go forward.

jaeroo

To defend against a kick to the leg using our shins, using a shin guard is optional. But I personally don’t use shin guards since it defeats the purpose of toughening up the shins. In a real altercation, I’d prefer to attack first and keep on attacking if he/she telegraphs the kick. But if I defend, I usually prefer evading the lick or blocking it with my knee or the edge of my shoe using the shin check. But even then, prior to an altercation, especially the parking lot, the assailant will have to get through my OC spray first since I already have my OC (connected to my car key) already in my hand as I go from my car to the building and back. OC would be my second line of defense (running away or avoiding it would be the first line of defense) in an unarmed altercation before resorting to H2H unless I don’t already have my OC out or the situation escalates to a higher level (pepper spray has no effect/dirtbag is now armed) . Besides, it’s more court defensible than having to getting sued for seriously maiming him/her using potent martial arts techniques.

caliwt

Re:

quote \”jaeroo\:

But I personally don’t use shin guards since it defeats the purpose of toughening up the shins……..

What is this purpose of deadening the nerves I always here people talk about? I know some people also hit themselves with clubs to get used to the pain of being hit.

I thought we were learning how to NOT get injured in a fight? Why then get injured in training 😉

but the concept is good, jaeroo. One player should wear guards and the other not. This way the unguarded shin does get some real contact to learn from. but not devestating contact…..I know the girls still want to wear short skirts and not be all bruised up 😯 😀

jaeroo

In sparring, we emphasize evading the kick. We don’t stand there and just allow our shins to just take it. Sure it does toughen the shins if we do but that is only when we are already within range of the kick and have no time to evade, which happens from time to time Sometimes we make a mistake of kicking and then end up being in contact with another’s pointed knee. It hurts like hell for beginners but it’s not as bad once you are used to it. I always used liniments (Dit Jow? forgot the name) after sparring constantly. Blocking with the knee came from the FMA concept of \”defanging the snake\”.

jaeroo

In sparring, we emphasize evading the kick. We don’t stand there and just allow our shins to just take it. Sure it does toughen the shins if we do but that is only when we are already within range of the kick and have no time to evade, which happens from time to time Sometimes we make a mistake of kicking and then end up being in contact with another’s pointed knee. It hurts like hell for beginners but it’s not as bad once you are used to it. I always used liniments (Dit Jow? forgot the name) after sparring constantly. Blocking with the knee came from the FMA concept of \”defanging the snake\”.

caliwt

Yea, I think it was that accedintal pain that started this whole thread. It is funny how things in Martial arts can degrade over time.

For some style out there, the idea of practicing for the rare time you do have shin on shin de-evolved into actually using shin on shin as a block!!! As you said, there are so many other options…..

and it does seem to hurt less as time goes by…..

clfmak

If you’re a professional fighter, that shin conditioning makes sense. But most of us aren’t, and hardcore shin conditioning will not do you well in old age. Some martial art practices will improve you as you get older- streching, deep breathing/qigong, bodyweight exercises, slow motion kicks, and stance training. Some are not so good in the long run- fist conditioing, shin conditioning, knuckle breaking, exchanging blows to the guts. But its up to the individual to decide whats important. And some light conditioning is fine- lots of old kung fu masters train on bean bags and wooden dummies into old age. Old karate guys can function, but they have some gnarly hands (I know a tang soo do master who can’t close one of his fists because the middle knuckle of his middle finger is really conditioned and huge- I’d hate to get hit with it). Anyway, I’m getting off the point even more. I’m just saying that there can be long term effects, so if you really don’t need to do it, you’d probabbly be better off streching or doing push ups or something.

Jaeroo- thats dit da jow. I use a cheap kind thats not too strong. I get it from a Chinese herb store for like six bucks a bottle. I think the rubbing action is almost as important as the mix in stimulating blood flow and moving around the fluid in briuses. There’s a kind of thai liniment, but I’ve never used it.

osaumt

i dont know if this thread is still available, but you might try block or stop kicks, we use them in Israeli Krav Magen, if your timing is right they are very efective and the less painful of them all

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: