Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jamesh-d30

Hi Everyone, I want to start a thread that discusses advertising and marketing ideas. What’s worked for you and what hasn’t?

I start off with this; i just signed a 12 month advertising contract with an ‘outdoor advertising’ group that does large format 4′ x 6′ advertisements on bus stop kiosks. The idea is to catch people while they’re sitting in traffic. I was able to choose 2 really strategic locations and will be paying $300 a month for each location. I also have the ability to change the graphic as much as i want to and to move it every 2 months to a different location if i want to do that too.

I’d love to hear anyones ideas, especially the non-standard ones.

js

Re: marketing ideas

I love that idea. We advertise in a local ad magazine. I have gotten great results from that. 65% of our business has come from this ad.

I’m always interested in new advertising ideas.

Thanks

jamesh-d30

Can you elaborate on ‘local ad magazine’? Also, what kind of content is in your ad? Would be cool if we posted small copies of our ads in the posts. especially the ones that work best!

The ad magazine is called “Welcome to the Neighborhood”. The whole magazine is made up of local business’s ads. I will see if I can post the ad.
    I forgot, I also have the same ad at a local supermarket. The market hands out a paper with sports and soaps info. We have our ad in this paper also.

Julie Stafford (using my husbands log on)
    Simi Valley Krav Maga

stevetuna

We’ve gotten huge exposure with the special seminars. The sexual assault awareness programs have gotten a wide variety of women into our facility. This has resulted in new signups for us on all fronts – Krav, km-X and fitness. We just did our fourth seminar this past weekend for a group of private school girls and their moms. The word-of-mouth buzz that we created with each of the seminars has worked well for us (in the small town environment).

Also, we just did a special one hour km-X workshop at our local elementary school in conjunction with a “Turn off the TV week” event that they were running. It looks like we might have ended up with about five new students for an hours worth of work!

We’re also adding Crossfit at our facility. These two types of training seem to be a very natural fit.

jamesh-d30

Yah, we’re adding CrossFit too. Our seminars did well and we made some new clients off of them, but could have done better. We’ve been doing the womens seminars for so long now that the freebie hunters sit and wait for April and then get all their friends to register right away. We basically sold out 3 seminars without a lick of adverstising because of it. Next year we’ll have to find another way….

We also have an ad at the local super market, it’s a billboard ad that is above thier ‘advertised specials’ board. Costs us about $150 a month for a year. It’s a large ad, 2′ x 2′ so it’s good name recognition.

Going to start running TV commercials again June 1st with a fitness twist to start the summer fitness rush off right! I make our commercials using windows movie maker and we pay anywhere from $12 to $30 for a 30-second spot in our local market.

jamesh-d30

Also, i don’t know if any of you use guest passes (you should!) but we use alot of business card size passes and we get them from http://www.overnightprints.com . they are fast and good quality at a really good price.
    We also give some of our instructors and our program directors business cards with the guest pass on the back.

This Memorial Day weekend, we will once again have a 10×10 booth at the ‘Boulder Creek Festival’, a huge 3 day annual event that draws people from all over. We often meet people there that take Krav Maga in other states! We pay $400 for the 3 day event and usually hand out over 500 passes, set several appointments, but more importantly brand ourselves solidly. We get people coming in for classes up to a year after meeting at this festival so it’s a long term investment. We try to do as many of these types of festivals as we can a year.

This is cool: We use Century MA Supply to print our information on balloons and pencils, the balloons draw kids to the booth with thier parents in tow, and the pencils (which we tie to the balloons) will hopefully be used for a year or more at home.

jakewrestler

The best thing we’ve done is to wrap our car. Mobile advertising anywhere I drive or want to park. 😉

Anonymous

TV spot prices may be coming down. Something we should take advantage of! This just came out over the weekend here in LA:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-upfront7-2009aug07,0,3840211.story

The right TV Commercials at the right time have traditionally (and still do) have a very strong ROI.

you can get our new one here (it’s pretty high-end looking):
    https://kravmaga.com/newcommercial

-ken

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: