Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Did any of you hear about that mob attack in Mexico?

Seems like three federal agents were working undercover near a school. They videotaped the school and a house next to it, looking for drug dealers. Residents saw this and assumed they were child molesters, looking to abduct children from the school.

Soon many people came together and attacked those agents, beating them with their fists and metal pipes and ultimately setting two of them on fire, burning them alive. They died. The third was rescued when the police finally arrived, 3 1/2 hours (!) later.

The press got their much quicker though and the whole thing could be seen on television. They even interviewed one of the victims while the attack was going on.

I think in the end there were at least 1000 people in that mob.

Makes you think, what would you do if such a huge crowd threatened or attacked you, accusing you of something you haven’t done? If they hit you, would you fight back? That might only make them angrier and you couldn’t possibly beat all of them. But if you are more passive they might hurt you so much that at some point you are unable to fight back anymore. It might also encourage them if you are frightened and weak.

Would there be any way to reason with a mob like that (negotiating might be your best bet)? Should you insist you are innocent or will that make them even more angry? What if you did something very drastic, like taking one of attackers, put him in a choke hold and threaten to kill him if they don’t back off? Could that work or would it just enrage the crowd?

It’s probably hard to tell, but this is one self-defense situation where just fighting back is unlikely to save you.

Any ideas or comments about that type of situation?

clfmak

Man, you’d have to get the hell out of there as fast as you can, but you’d definitely want to try to prevent them from attacking. As soon as one started, it would be on- in such a large group, there’s bound to be more willing to join in.
    I’ve been in a lot of mosh pits (one this weekend, in fact, and got hit in the side of the head so it hurts when I chew), and this is the closest I’ve come to mob violence. At one point, I even considered what it would be like if everyone decided to attack me right then. There’s just too much going on for a real good defense. I think the most I could manage was a barrage of palm heels, outward chops, and elbows, aimed at heads. If you were to grapple with one person for a second, you’d probably be on the ground, getting stomped. Even in mosh pits, where the crowd is not after you, people know that if you fall, you have to get up as fast as you can or you can get stepped on or kicked. You’d have to try and plow through and run, never stop moving. A can of OC spray would be good, until it ran out. Find a big, inexpensive punk show- its a great form of training and gives you a whole new perspective!
    One time my dad was waiting at the border crossing (at TJ) when a whole bunch of vendors, for some reason, got angry at a guy in a car, and ran up to the guy’s car, took off their belts, and started smashing the car with their belt buckles.
    Today, I had my own Mexican mob attack. I was practicing my martial arts at a park by my house, and these Mexican kids (five of them, all under ten), took an interest, and asked if I’d teach them something. After thinking a bit about what would be appropriate, I began teaching them a bunch of joint locks- chin na. I started with wrist joint locks, then elbow and shoulder joint locks to takedowns, and then chokes and takedowns like judo throws and leg tackles. After a good while, they decided they’d see if I could take on all of them. So, I warded off five kids that were half my height and strength. But that converts to two and a half people with the same height and strength as me, or one person that was more than twice as big as myself. Yay for me! What a great day! I should make a video of my skill and sell it through TRS.

anonymous

Hey CLFMak!

Congrats on surviving your own Mexican mob attack!!! 😀

As for the real one: I think you are right, you probably have to start fighting back as soon as the whole thing starts and then just try to get out of there. If you’re still in the car, maybe just start driving. If you are outside and can’t get back in the car, maybe just try to punch your way through the crowd and run.

Would you ever throw the first punch, though? Let’s say you are suddenly cornered by a large number of people, who accuse you of having done something wrong, something you haven’t done (like in this case being a child molester or kidnapper). Would you try to convince them they are wrong first, or would you just try to punch your way through and get out of there?

They showed footage of this attack on Spanish language TV, unfortunatly I didn’t see it, I just read about it and am not sure how exactly it started and how many people there were in the very beginning of the confrontation. But in the end, seemed like almost the whole neighborhood was the enemy and after they had killed the first two agents they were all marching the third one to a town square or something to execute him there. That’s when the police finally came.

Im think the agents were alive for at least two or three hours before they were killed, I don’t think they were beaten continously during that time, but I guess at some point there were so many people, there was no way for them to escape.

I wonder if there is any way to try and reason with a crazed mob like that, if you are at a point where you can’t fight anymore. If you firmly insisted that you were innocent and promised to offer proof, tried to convince them that it would be better to let the police investigate, something like that… But I guess it didn’t work in this case, they were begging for their lives and were still killed.

Of course the police is also to blame for showing up so late, after 3 1/2 hours!

prowler

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

tried to convince them that it would be better to let the police investigate

That definitely wouldn’t work. People don’t trust the cops around here to tie their own shoes, much less investigate crimes.

johnny-fred

If I could, i would run around, but if I was cornered or something, I think the best thing to do would run through, and throw a lot of heel palms and elbows.

clfmak

If I was to throw a first strike, it probably wouldn’t be a punch. You’d want it to be something that shows you’re skilled and dangerous, like a chin jab or web hand to the throat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: