Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

We are getting ready to start sparring once a week and I am going to need some protection

Which mouth guards have you used and what are your opinions on them?

I am looking at a Shock Doctor but not sure on which model.

There is also the issue that I have a serious overbite so I’m not sure how this would affect what I buy.

The most expensive model is not always the best option obviously but I’m looking for max protection and comfort.

mara-jade

Re: Mouthguards

I’ve seen them at Academy. I don’t remember the brand we got but you place the mouthguard in really hot water for a few seconds so they’re soft enough to shape them to your mouth. Mine have definitely saved me a few times.thumbsup

mara-jade

Ah, ok I went over to Academy. The ones you’re talking about don’t look like mine.

Geez, how many models are there? There’s only a few on Academy but on Amazon there’s a bunch

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_2?ie=UTF8&rs=3410621&rh=n%3A3375251%2Cn%3A3410221%2Cn%3A3410621%2Cp%5F4%3AShock%20Doctor%2Cn%3A3410701

vwr32

I have the Shock Doctor mouthpiece. They vary in styles according to which level of dental insurance coverage they guarantee… mine is the one that covers up to $12,500 of dental coverage if something goes wrong.

As for the overbite, the one piece guards force your teeth to be aligned, so it might seem uncomfortable at first. Supposedly, it’s for proper jaw alignment I think. I don’t have any experience with the two piece models, but the discomfort went away. Just follow the directions if you get the ones you have to dip in hot water. I had to “re-do” mine a couple times before I got it right.

guerriere

Your dentist might be able to make something custom. That would be pricey, but still cheaper than repairing broken teeth.

quote Guerriere:

Your dentist might be able to make something custom. That would be pricey, but still cheaper than repairing broken teeth.

I have a Navy dentist but you may be right on that.

I’ll have to check out my dentist on Monday and see if they can make one or not.

vwr32

I thought the same thing, but my dentist wanted to know more about Shock Doctor for his son who was about to start playing sports.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

try HERE

They send you something to make an impression of your mouth

vwr32

Um…

Those things are priced $678 to $2100.

I think they should come free with all krav memberships.

Safety first! thumbsup

quote CJs Dad:

try HERE

They send you something to make an impression of your mouth

OMG those are E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.

giant-killer

I think Dave Famili, dentist and NTC teacher can make those custom-fitting mouth pieces. Don’t know how much they are, though, probably a few hundred.

quote Giant Killer:

I think Dave Famili, dentist and NTC teacher can make those custom-fitting mouth pieces. Don’t know how much they are, though, probably a few hundred.

If someone buys me a plane ticket to LA I might be able to scrounge up a few hundred 🙂

There are a few other companies who do custom mouth guards that aren’t as expensive. I’m probably going to get one here pretty soon. From what I heard they fit much better and allow you to breathe easier.

I have the Shock Doctor right now (forgot which model). It’s been working very well for me. I highly recomend their products!

J-

giant-killer

Or just get a new set of teeth, each time the old ones have been punched out.

vwr32

quote Giant Killer:

Or just get a new set of teeth, each time the old ones have been punched out.

Once they get knocked out, you can simply leave them in your gym bag before the sparring starts too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: