Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    walker

Ok, I have been looking for something to do along with Krav for a while now, I have gone to a few schools and watched classes or participated.

It is now between muay thai and kali. I want something that will also compliment krav for its street skills. If anyone could please give me some info from your own experiences with the two, I would really appreciate it.

I will try to set a poll.

I’d pick muay thai: You can never practise enough kicks and punches. Also I believe that the average MT class is physically more demanding than the average kali class.

caliwt

I would say Escrima or Kali. 😀

Muy Thai isn’t going to offer you much more than KM allready does while Kali will offer you a weapons perspective.

but if you just want more of a workout…. 😉

ryan

I’m with Ville. The training you’ll receive in MT will at least parallel much of what you do in KM (it will strengthen your support system.) The training you’ll receive in kali with often be counter to that in KM.

clfmak

Kali has an interesting approach that you would probably enjoy. But there are a lot of styles out there. Generally, you will learn weapons, which is always good to know, footwork, which is also good to know, and empty hand skills to a lesser extent.
    I have some filipino martial art training undre my belt, and just got back from a krav seminar with Eyal here in San Diego. The last drill we did was where two people attacked you with training knives, and a third pushed you with a bag, which you had to hit. I didn’t have the krav defenses down, but what I’d already don worked out well, using footwork and redirecting (and a few hard slaps to the knife hand) to get out of the way of the knives, which an instructor kind of scolded me for. The knife defenses (at least against a rising stab) in krav just seem so counter intuitive- knees straight, bending at the back, just couldn’t get used to it. Although I only tried a few times. Other knife drills went pretty good also, except my partner usualy got me when I tried to run away after counterattacking.
    Kali and other similar styles have some of the best martial arts theory at work behind them, but of course theory does not always work out so good in the real world. For instance, the fights often take the format of an armed duel, and knife fighting stresses long range. These two things are improbable, but can still teach you skills to apply elsewhere. Some also teach assisted cutting (where you use your other hand to pressure the spine of the blade to cut deep), but this doesn’t work out as well at fast paces, and I’d imagine a person wouldn’t stand there while you tried this, but it would work against a wall or on the ground (but this is not self defense probably). A lot of weapon arts are very theoretical, so its good that there’s people like the dog brothers checking into these things.
    Muay thai- can’t say anything bad there, except that there’s probably so much overlap with krav as to make it extraneous, but again the different approach may be enlightening. I try to make it to seminars of various styles and meet and train with different practitioners to see what all is out there. Soon enough I will be a martial arts instructor, and its good to have first hand experience with different training methods.

walker

Thank for the info guys.

freddy-c

I have been training Krav for 5 years and fighting in Muay Thai bouts for the last 2 years. MT is great for putting all those strikes you learn in Krav together. The fundamentals of MT will be easy to learn if you have a solid KM background. If you really want to add to your street fighting self-defense, you might want to try some traditional Japanese jui-jitsu. You’ll learn great control hold/ pain compliance skills and some awesome throws and submissions. I trained in Dan Zan Ryu Jui-jitsu for over a year and it was friggin’ brutal!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: