Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums New and a question?

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by spy.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    spy

Hey everyone, new to KM and very intrested. No prior backround, I did TKD when I was around 10 for a few months. My question(s) would be, Im a big guy 6’6 370 pounds and have had knee surgeory from a football injury-could this limit me? My normal weight is around 275-280 but ive been real inactive and married and pregnant and lazy. :thunbsdown:

I want to join for fitness and self-defense KM sounded like it fit better for my needs more than anything else. The fitness part because right now im the heaviest ive ever been and have a little girl comming any day, I need to be here for her. The defense because about a year ago myself and a few friends had a bar fight (long story) heres the short version:

A guy around 6’4 220 after clearly telling him I did not want to fight more than once ran up and sucker punched me(sorta)I was going to pull his friend off my friend over racking a pool game-wrapped my waist pushed me backwards until I tripped over my own feet into a wooden bar stool I crushed that it left a nasty bruise-mounted me and threw wild punches until he connected with my forehead and im pretty sure he broke his knuckle or hand because he stopped and got off. My friends were busy with his friends. I was drunk otherwise I think I may have faired better off.

I did freeze instead of reacting right away which is why I got mounted in the first place. I didnt feel helpless but I could have been hurt alot worse.

hypnotic214

Re: New and a question?

I’m no medical doctor so I can’t really offer any medical advice regarding your knee surgery. :dunno: What does your doctor say about you participating in contact sports? Krav does involve some kicking (no flying spinning axe kicks) at least not until the Advance levels and that’s really only for learning how to defend against them. You can always use your other leg for kicking as long as your “bad” knee is fit to support you while you perform the technique. I know there are a couple of people in my class with knee injuries that typically “take it easy” on techniques that involve their knees. There’s plenty of other techniques in Krav that don’t require use of your legs for kicks. As long as your able to support yourself and have mobility you shouldn’t have any problems in Krav. I hope this helps. I’m sure some of our fellow Krav members will have some input for you as well.

As far as helping you get back in to shape – YES Krav can and will help you with this if you stick with it.. being a big guy who’s 6’6 370 lbs that’s married and pregnant – you might want to address that one in a different forum..:D:

All the best.

nixxon

Well how limited are you to activity in regards to your knee surgery? I would reccomend you to start KM. But make sure your instructor knows your limits and don’t push yourself past them.

If you start to hurt, just stop. Kicks may be a little more problematic, however just make sure you pivot your planted foot when throwing rounds. You’ll get what I mean when you get there 😉

spy

My knee surgeory was for my ACL and lateral meniscus. I had it done at 18 with the hope of playing football again, bt chose not to re-injure mself and did not play. Im 23 now and the knee huts a little here and there, putting my full weight (taking a knee or on my knees) after a couple mins is painful. Other than that the knee is good, I think alot of the pressure is from my weight on my knee. Im in the hospital right now waiting on my wife to give birth…should be around 5 or 6 pm today pacific time, and Ill have a little girl.

I was going to go check out the CCS in Las Vegas today but my wifes water broke at 4:30 AM. So, its going to be a few days before I can go and check it out.

spy

8.3 lb girl 20 inches born 4-7-08 6:33 PM thumbsup

gitano

Congratulations to you & your wife. :D:

nixxon

Congrats on your baby!

No offence intended here…. I hope you can take this critisism with a light heart for I do not intend to offend.

I’m really into fitness and from what I’ve seen alot of people who have “knee problems” are overweight and inactive. Obviously you have had your setbacks to go over regarding yours but its of my opinion that 370 lbs sitting on one knee/leg would cause anyone pain. Especially since you probably dont have the muscular frame to support it.

My advice would be to take Krav. Work on your skills (Punching etc, chokes) take it easy on the kicking portion and the cardio. And work on your cardio and diet while not in Krav. I think you’ll find that the more pounds you shed and the stronger your legs become the pain will be vastly decreased. If you need any help with fitness or anything of that sort feel free to PM me.

spy

Thanks Nixxon, I dont get offended easily…it takes a lot. I think what you said was right on, and I appreciate the honesty-thats what I needed. thumbsup

nixxon

No problem. Also if you need a starting point for fitness CrossFit is a good choice.

Its pretty intimidating at first but its a functional, performance exercise program. I haven’t been doing it long, but I can tell you that as a pretty fit person this thing works me out bigtime.

Head on over to http://www.crossfit.com and just do the workout of the day and browse the forums. What they do there on the front is probably too much so just do like… 20% of the reps or weight.

Simplefit.org is also a great place to start… sorta like beginner CrossFit.

Good luck and if you have any questions hit me up!

desert-strom

Congrats on the new baby Spy!!
    I have been attending classes at CCS in Vegas for a little over a year and half. The instructors are excellent. I ruptured my ACL about a year ago. When I started back the instructors were really cool about working me out without destroying the knee. I have made a full recovery and the knee is holding up well.
    Check out bodyweightculture.com for some excellent excercises that focus on strength through full range of motion with minimal joint impact. There are many excellent ideas there including the guy who does the “elastic steel” exscercices. Good Stuff!

Hope to see you at class!

spy

Ill be at the evening class tommorow (Tuesday) to watch and most probably sign up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: