Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books New Book – First Impressions

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

So, as we are giving reviews and I’ve read most of the book by now, here is mine.

Of course, it needs to be said that I would have far more reason to suck up to John than unstpabl has, however my occasionally rocky history on the forum has shown that I’m really not the type to do so. So, the following truly comes from the heart and in all honesty:

I have to agree with anyone here, it’s a great book! I’ve been doing KM for a while and have gone through all of the different levels already, but it’s still good to have something to review the individual exercises. I also like that it’s focused purely on self-defense, no talk about fitness or \”getting in shape through KM\”. The explanations are very good and detailed.

My only complaint would be that there aren’t a lot of close-ups of important steps in the exercises. Such as gun takeaways for example. Or how to do the pluck. For headlock from the side, how to position the fingers on the attacker’s face and how to make leverage. It’s explained, but a few more close-up could have helped to illustrate it. Some of the pictures showing movement are also hard to make out, there are pictures of Matt, for example, moving in a fighting stance, but his body position looks virtually the same in every picture. There are arrows to illustrate which way he moves, but they may be difficult to understand for someone, who isn’t familar with moving in a fighting stance.

A few different angles could have been helpful, too, on occasion (for 360 defense perhaps and other defenses), simply because sometimes a different angle can clarifies things. Oh, and maybe a few more pictures of John and Darren, our leaders. 🙂

But there are still many pictures and overall the thing about the close-up may only be a minor thing. The explanations are still very good and clear.

One thing I thought was missing in the book were defenses against knife threats. These seem to be a very common threat, yet they were somehow omitted, instead there are rifle defenses, which I love, but theoretically, knife threats may be a more common threat than having a rifle shoved in your face. I also would have liked to see the book go up to Black Belt, would have seemed right, white to black, but I can see how there wasn’t enough room and now we can all look forward to the sequel! 🙂

One other odd thing I noticed, which has nothing to do with the quality of the book, is that the book was written by John and Darren, yet while there is tons of mention of Darren in the beginning pages of the book, there is not one mention of John until the very last page. Seems a bit imbalanced and maybe unfortunate for those people who don’t yet practice KM and would like to know more about both authors. Besides, John deserves his credit, too! 8)

unstpabl1

Gk

i think the point of the book is a review/preview for students and a intro for perspective students. Though granted a pretty in depth one. Subtlties of the system need instruction, as a student the book is reference. For outsiders well, I don’t think you give away the system.

As an aside I watched Kevin’s level 2/3 class this afternoon. He’s a nice guy and a very good instructor. Really clear and fundamentally sound.

giant-killer

I agree, a book can never really replace instruction by a qualified teacher, yet it can definitely be a good reviewing tool. Often, what really makes a defense, are the many small little details of it, exact hand placement etc. So a few more detailed shots of those things might have been nice. I really like the DVD’s for example, where they just do the technique over and over again, fast, slowly, with or without a partner and from different angles as well as close-ups (and some simulated shots out in the environment). So you are getting a variety of different views and get a chance to catch virtually every little detail. Based on that, I was really looking forward to the pictures and maybe for that reason I was just a bit disappointed in them (maybe expecting too much?).

Good to hear you made that first step!! Did you go to SO? Meet Sean? How about Darren? Maybe someone in the fighting class would be willing to knock out that tooth that’s been hurting, then they could fix it for free and you can join right away. Better yet, come to the NTC and have Dave the dentist knock it out. His office in conveniently located just a few stories above the training facilities! 😀

unstpabl1

I did go to KMSO and met Sean. Great guy.I gave him a bottle of Ibuprofen for phase. I bought him a bottle of rum, but I kept it for myself 😆 That with the vicadin for my tooth should make this a good week 😉

giant-killer

Just wait ’til the vicadin wears off, though… 🙁

I got to go to SO one of these days. For some reason I’m dreading the drive over the hill, but it may not be all that bad. Also, it will be weird to practice KM at another place. But would be nice to meet Sean. I’ll bring him some of the leftover painkillers from my surgery last year! That and the vicadin ought to cover it… 8)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Iím alive, and thanks UnStop for the meds they came in handy. Two weeks out of the sling my dislocated shoulder / torn rotor cuff was killing me holding pads. Day one and i’m sitting at the office with an ice pack today.

Everyone is really looking forward to John teaching tonight.

As far is the book is concerned it was referenced several times and Jarret at one point even said Sean show everyone your book and I opened it up to show all the notes Iíd scribbled in the margins LOL.

At this rate Iím going to need to buy another one cause after phase this ones going to be trashed.

I know its not required reading but anyone who is serious about KM needs a copy in their bag. I have a pen clipped to mine and on every break write down comments. Even little things like straight left vrs traditional Jab / stiff jab are important to note.

mara-jade

WOOOHOO!! MY BOOK CAME!! I was about ready to have a cow cause the DC said it arrived at the P.O. to THE WRONG ZIPCODE..Hubby just got it from our mailbox.

I’m so friggin happy. I\”m starting from the beginning on this baby, cause I REALLY need to 😀

YEAY!! Thanks for letting me drool y’all 😆

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

True to form last night during Johns lecture portion I was sitting in the back scribbling furiously. I say scribbling because my hands were shaking so bad from doing the drills I could barely read my own writing this morning.

On page 1 in big bold letters ìHANDS > BODY > FEETî

giant-killer

What does that refer to exactly? Maybe you should get another notebook to go with the book. I’ve been taking some notes, but on a separate sheet of paper. I was always taught not to scribble into books! 😉 By the way, you are lucky to have John. He’s a great teacher!

giant-killer

Oh, I get it. It’s about moving your hands first for a defense, then the body defense, then the feet (bursting in), right?

blindfold

I bought my book at Border’s and while going through the line one of the cashiers asked me about it and I tried to answer his questions as best I could. I went back and spoke to him yesterday and he and 3 coworkers are coming to class this morning. He also bought the book, after I left with mine.

Hopefully they enjoy it and take something good from the book and class.

It’s funny how things work out.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Oh, I get it. It’s about moving your hands first for a defense, then the body defense, then the feet (bursting in), right?

new post topic

Best for John to answer 🙂

johnwhitman

Yes, it’s a way of thinking about Krav Maga’s approach to self defense techniques.

giant-killer

That’s what I thought. Couldn’t figure it out at first, because the image of CJ’s Dad sitting there with shaking hands, scribbling like a madman made me think he might have gone into a trance, receiving mysterious messages from another world. 8) But then i got it, no need to open another thread. Was just too lazy to edit. 😉

mara-jade

Well, I did my first look through of the book. I really like the way it’s put together. I was hoping though for more of the knife defenses where the knife is right under your neck or at either side but hey, that would be great for a sequel 😀 . GK was kind enough to point me in the direction of Imi’s book for those!

I have the dangest time getting cavaliers. I’ve tried all hints my instructors’ give but somehow I’ve managed to screw it up. Seeing the section on them helps bigtime 🙂

I’m getting another copy of this sucker to take to class but I’m gonna go through it more thoroughly now and see what other questions I have.

Darren and John – The book rocks! To me it won’t replace being in class but it’s gonna help me remember what I saw in class to fill in gaps! Thanks! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: