Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums New here – should I try KM?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    socal4ever

Good morning – I’m new around here and trying to decide if I should try Krav Maga.

Long story short – I’ve recently lost 70 pounds over the past 8 months and am trying to get myself into a better state. (for a 5’10 guy at 34 years old that is).

I’ve long since been hearing about Krav Maga, and am interested but nervous as to whether it’s a good fit. I’ve never been to be in incredibly good shape. My limit right now is going on a bike machine at home 40 minutes a night almost every night (better than anything I’ve ever done in my life, but not what you’d call an expert athlete). I’ve been interested in some type of self defense and conditioning, and my doctor has recommended KM as a fun option in the past….but I’ve always held back with concerns over the cost, and whether it’s something I could totally handle.

Any thoughts?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: New here – should I try KM?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Most KM places will give you your first class free, so it can’t hurt to give it a try.

And depending on where you decide to go they will probably have some kind of fitness program to go with it, who knows you might actually become that athlete after all!

Stranger things have happened!

kravgal57

I don’t know where you are in SoCal but I know in Orange County I frequently see Groupons where you can try out KM for a really discounted price. I did that and got hooked. I’m in my 50s and have only been doing this for four months. I just try to push myself and do my best. And it is keeping me in shape.

socal4ever

Thanks a lot. I live in the San Fernando Valley and work in Glendale, so orange county would be a bit of stretch. I was contemplating the sherman oaks KM studio, and there’s also a Krav Maga Unyted downtown someone recommended I look at (at least I could go before work)

lions2011

yes social. just do it in moderate like twice a week. That way you will not burn yourself out and reduce injuries. I have seen big guys go crazy and attend several classes a week only to quit several months later due to burn out.
    The smart guy chips away at 2-3 classes a week and moves on.
    You will not get injured in Krav Maga the classes are run very safely. It is not like Judo where you can easily destroy your knee or shoulder.
    Give it a chance

lennykravist

Hey Socal. I’m 40 and have been taking Krav for about a year and a half. I had ZERO martial arts or self defense experience, and jumped right in once I took my free intro class. And while life has gotten in the way, I always make a point to attend classes. It’s totally fun and whether you pay attention to it or not, you will put on muscle and strength, as well as cardio. At the end of 4 months, you’d be surprised at how conditioned you’ll get. All you have to remember is don’t compare yourself to others who’ve been there longer than you. Just go at your pace, push yourself hard but within your limits and you’ll get a lot out of it. I have a friend who goes to the Sherman Oaks KMW location and he totally digs it. We compare notes all the time, so give it a shot! Speak with an instructor and if they offer a free introductory class, you’ve nothing to lose by checking it out. I did, and came back the next day!

lisad71

Go for it! I took my first KM class in June and have been hooked ever since. No worries about your age or fitness levels…there are all types in class. I am 43 and typically run 2-3 miles three days a week, but even my cardio endurance gets put to the test each week. I strive to attend three classes a week, but with work and live am happy if I make it to two a week. Good luck and enjoy 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: