Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Law Enforcement & Military New LAPD Recruit seeking advice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

First off, if I’m posting in the wrong forum, then I apologize and if this needs to be moved, let me know and I’ll get it moved, thanks.

I just took my LAPD test last Saturday and started up CAPs this past Thursday and am completely enthused about the experience and making it through. I’ve been training at the West L.A. Krav Maga Center since Summer of 2008 and know that they teach a lot of law enforcement, so I figured I could reach out in these forums and ask for any advice, tips, or direction that anyone might be able to offer. I’ve called my mentor already, though I’m sure he’s swamped, he seemed to be in a rush, so I’d like to know if any of you guys could offer a bit of guidance.

What should I expect from the process? The LE officers I know have emphasized honesty, and that’s one area I don’t plan on holding back on. What do any of you remember being difficult about the process? Anything you might be able to recommend to improve my chances? Is there anything, other than PT, that I can be proactive in order to prepare, such as reading, studying…etc…etc…?

I appreciate any and all advice and words of encouragement and hope to join you all in the ranks soon and just be of service to the community. Thanks

mara-jade

Re: New LAPD Recruit seeking advice

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you found us – a few of the instructors here are in the Force Training division and post regularly, so hopefully you’ll get some answers soon.

Please feel free to look around – great info all over herethumbsup

kirsten

Welcome. I would suggest that you be honest and direct. Your oral boards will be a HUGE part of the process if you already have not done them. I urge you to practice answering questions out loud to yourself. Your delivery is just as important as the answer as ones ability to accurately communicate is very desirable.

http://www.policetest.info/POLICE_ORAL_BOARD.htm

Sroll down the page to the part about oral boards. Read it and practice answering those questions. Make sure you are direct and well spoken. Next, remember nobody is expecting you to think like a cop. They will teach you how to do that so don’t B.S. your answers into what you think a cop would say. Next make the answers as personal as you can. They want to hear how you have taken from your life and applied it to a situation. Tell how you made a mistake and what you learned from it to ensure you will not repeat the same one again.

Good Luck!!

kirsten

I forgot, be sure to study your chosen departments mission statement. They have it on their website. Memorize it and as you are being interviewed, try to find a way to apply it to one of your answers. Also, memorize the key persons in LAPD- who they are and what they do, pick the top 5.

don

You just took your initial written test? If so, you’ve got a ways to go. Stay healthy, stay out of trouble, start getting your “affairs” in order (info for all the places you’ve lived for the past 10-15 years, all your jobs, all your roommates, all your school transcripts from high school until whatever, etc). There’s much more you can do but one step at a time, get a background investigator assigned first…

Don, Kirsten, and mara_jade, just want to say thanks for the words, and the advice, much appreciated. I’ll definitely be taking your advice Kirsten and practice my answers and presentation. I’m currently a dive instructor and so am used to speaking in front of people, but practice never hurts, and I’ll be memorizing the Mission Statement and the names, as you suggested.Thanks for that.

Don, already started that this morning, got the welcome packet this weekend and it has a list of all the paperwork needed, so I’ve started making calls and writing letters. Again, thanks for the advice,any and all is welcome and taken to heart.
    Reuben

kirsten

Good and your welcome. I just suggested it because its not so much about speaking in front of others, but making sure your answers are well presented and thought out. I am sure as a dive instructor you are used to being under “pressure”… 🙂 No pun intended.. LOL

Good luck and as Don suggested, don’t do any stupid stuff… and don’t associate with people that do… keep us posted through your process.

No worries about staying out of trouble; the combination of being 38YO, not drinking, and not smoking basically makes me the epitome of Adam Ant’s “Goody Two Shoes” Song! My last serious mistake was 20 years ago, everything since then has been minimal to non-existent. Last speeding ticket was almost 6 years ago, and haven’t had to fight in over 16 years, verbal judo is pretty effective.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress. Just cleared the first hurdle, found out I passed the written test, so next up is the PAT and my initial background. I’ve got nothing to hide, plan on being honest and upfront about all past transgressions and see where the cards fall. Hopefully they can see that I seriously want to be of service, and my past is just that, my past.

kirsten

Congrat’s on passing the written!!!

So I got an 85 on my written, been told that’s good, though my competitive spirit has me wondering what it would’ve taken to get a 100…

Just passed my PAT this past Sunday, killed myself on the stationary bike, HAD to pass the 1 mile mark, ended with 1.02, and almost passing out at the end!

Next is my Initial Background on the 11th, will continue to keep you all posted on my progress. Will see some of you at Krav training too.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hey Scuba any updates?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: