Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums New to the forums

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    alician

Hiya. I’m new to the forums. I’ve been on/off at the Sherman Oaks, CA location though since October (September?). Anyway, I’m here because my work conflicts with the class schedule to the point where I need ideas on how to better train at home in the wee hours of the morning.

Ok, about me: I’m a kinda out of shape SoCal native. I’m average weight, height, etc. (that sorta gal you flat out don’t notice on the street until they wave & smile). I took TKD for roughly a year in college. I remained white belt due to never showing up to belt tests. Anyway, that was a long time ago & the only thing that stuck is an awkward fighting stance that I’m working to change.

Currently, I’m working at getting into shape again. I’m flat out tired of getting winded from a 1/2 mile run or a sprint across the mall parking lot. I’m quitting smoking- that’s helped a little. I just have to build up stamina, ya know? And strength. I’m a wuss. I only pull 20lbs on my bow in archery. I have to get up to something reasonable (like 35) to shoot in a clout. Ok, wrong sport. 😉

Anyway, any advice on how to reach my goals of more stamina & strength? & How to practice Krav at home until I can get to class 2-3x a week again?

mara-jade

Re: New to the forums

Hi Alicia!

Another Krav chick – cool! Congrats on quitting smoking – that’s gonna be one of the best things you can do for yourself thumbsup

How much spare room do you have at home? Can you get a standing bag(good for practicing punches, kicks, elbows, hammerfists, etc)? Kettlebells are great strength training also.

Have you gotten Darren’s and John’s book? The KM DVD set is very good also and excellent at showing the techniques at good slow pace to full speed.

Hope this helps some:wav:

alician

I don’t have room for a standing bag, which is a shame. I could really use one after stressful days at work. I basically have a space I can clear in front of my tv (move the coffee table) & about 4’x6′ of clear space in my bedroom by a mirror. Theoretically, I could workout in my aparetment complex’s parking lot, but a couple guys moved in a few doors down that are part of a non local gang. I really don’t want to be outside when they get shot at by the locals. Ya know? (BTW, I don’t live in Sherman Oaks, I just train there. LOL)

Anyway, what are kettle bells?
    I’m currently using light weights (5lbs) & therabands…

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Alicia come back we miss you!

There’s a level 1 class everyday except Sunday maybe you haven’t checked the Sched recently?

Let me know if I can be any help, theres lots of us from SO here~

jay99

I am going to second the motion on your return to SO. The schedule is full of level 1 classes now and the fitness classes can help a ton as well. If none of those times work than at least come in for a little while to talk to some of the instructors and get some good work out ideas. But nothing beats the classes!

alician

Hi, guys! 🙂
    I haven’t checked the new schedule recently, and the one on the website doesn’t seem to be updated. Is there anyplace online I can get ahold of the new schedule?
    My work hours are from 9am – 10pm M-F & Sat 10-6 until this current project is finished (boo!). I’m hoping we’re done by easter. In the meantime, I guess I’m working out at home.
    🙂

mara-jade

quote AliciaN:

I don’t have room for a standing bag, which is a shame. I could really use one after stressful days at work. I basically have a space I can clear in front of my tv (move the coffee table) & about 4’x6′ of clear space in my bedroom by a mirror. Theoretically, I could workout in my aparetment complex’s parking lot, but a couple guys moved in a few doors down that are part of a non local gang. I really don’t want to be outside when they get shot at by the locals. Ya know? (BTW, I don’t live in Sherman Oaks, I just train there. LOL)

Anyway, what are kettle bells?
    I’m currently using light weights (5lbs) & therabands…

Hi Alicia!

Here’s some examples of kettlebell exercises. If you don’t do the big swing type techniques(think I only saw one), you can still get a good workout and I don’t think it’ll take up that much roomthumbsup

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/kettlebell-exercises.html

leejam99

Private lessons? many clients workout as early as 6 or 7am before work.

giant-killer

Could you make it to the NTC in West LA? They have early morning classes, as early as 7:00am I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: