Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics No need for self defence?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    lennykravitz

Interesting article in my local paper:

http://www.parramattasun.com.au/news/local/news/general/how-to-handle-selfdefence/2425296.aspx

quote :

How to handle self-defence
    19 Jan, 2012 01:00 AM
    IN an empty hall, tucked into the curve of a cul-de-sac, you can learn what to do if two people grab you from behind, hold a knife to your throat and demand your money.
    In a matter of minutes, five days a week, you can also learn what to do if a gun is held to your head, if someone starts punching you, and strategies to avoid and diffuse potentially dangerous situations.

The owner of Assertive Action, Krav Maga, one of the latest self-defence schools to open in Parramatta, says it is sad that people should need to learn self-defence skills but that conflict was a reality of life.

“I think everyone should be concerned about their safety and self protection,” owner Kurt Colpan said. “People pay for life insurance, health insurance and things like that – why not insure your self protection?”

“Self-defence is a thinking system not purely defence against knives and punches. It teaches people to be aware – to prevent situations from occurring. Our goal is to get home safe.”

Mr Colpan, who attempts to create realistic scenarios for his students to practise their skills, said stabbings in the area during the past two weeks showed a need for greater awareness about self-defence and how to create the best chance of achieving personal safety.

He pointed to the stabbing of a man, 30, as he returned to his car which had run out of petrol in Hassall Street, Harris Park, earlier this month.

Police, in a separate incident, this week charged a man, 28, with stabbing a man in the stomach outside a house on Merrylands Road in Merrylands on Sunday.

But Holroyd Neighbourhood Watch committee member Kevin Horne said he feared teaching self-defence skills could escalate a confrontation and turn a situation violent.

“I am loathe to talk about self-defence for the community at large,” Mr Horne said.

“It might be reasonable for fit, young people, but criminals never usually target people of equal strength to them and it’s better to run than try to defend yourself. What good is self-defence if you are dead?

“Crime is a concern but we shouldn’t have to live in fear and I think it’s a much better attitude to take not to be intimidated.”

Holroyd mayor Yvette Whitfield said she didn’t think there was a need for self-defence classes in the area.

“It’s obviously up to each individual but I don’t think they are necessary,” she said.

nukinfuts29

Re: No need for self defence?

Insanity. His entire position is that someone should not stand up to someone bigger then them? He obviously has no clue about Krav Maga and lives in an ignorant state of reality.

don

A lot of people are CLUELESS! Unfortunately, some/many of them Also occupy positions of authority/power in our country and communities…

mara-jade

Better to have it and hopefully never need to use it than to not have it and then you’re screwed:beer:

lennykravitz

Crazy argument to say self defence is for the fit and strong, I’d say it for all but specifically for the opposite of that! Unfortunately many people would rather not know than have to know. Quite reprehensible attitudes considering the amount of violence and crime in the area over the last few years!

bear34

Just for the sake of discussion, let me bring up something that has bothered me for a couple of days. While I love Krav Maga and think that you should be able to protect yourself……when is enough….enough. In another recent thread about KM programs in the Phoenix area, I saw a program called “Tactical Black.” It was( in my perception) para-military training including weapon against weapon, etc.
    My mind immediately jumps towards “Turner Diary” types. Do we need civilians learning this kind of thing. Most of us don’t live in Gaza. Am I the only one who is worried this type of program attracts the people that we don’t need possessing such skills.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote bear34:

Just for the sake of discussion, let me bring up something that has bothered me for a couple of days. While I love Krav Maga and think that you should be able to protect yourself……when is enough….enough. In another recent thread about KM programs in the Phoenix area, I saw a program called “Tactical Black.” It was( in my perception) para-military training including weapon against weapon, etc.

quote bear34:

My mind immediately jumps towards “Turner Diary” types. Do we need civilians learning this kind of thing. Most of us don’t live in Gaza. Am I the only one who is worried this type of program attracts the people that we don’t need possessing such skills.

Interesting thought, and while I do not live in Gaza or even a bad area of LA when the nose ringed kid pulled up alongside of me just yesterday screaming I’d just cut him off and pull over old man then proceeded to jump out of his car and walk towards me wielding some sort of pipe or stick he produced from under his seat I was compelled to smile at him and in a calm almost laughing voice say “you might want to call some friends”

(Coincidentally I was actually on the phone with one of my students who heard the entire conversation)

The point is we never know how or when something may jump off, what started it or even if it doesn’t even involve us. I do however believe it is better to be prepared and never have to use it then to be a victim.

But hey that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

kmman

You could be wrong CJ’s Dad

But you’re not.

unstpabl1

How does an fat, old, unfit guy run away????

kmyoshi

Sort of like those car companies now not providing spare tires for their cars anymore. Sure you don’t always need it … but it’s peace of mind knowing it’s there when you need it.

CJ’s dad, I’m curious to hear the rest of your story. Did you just drive off?

kmyoshi

I was going to start a new thread about this link but find that it fits in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPgXcFMIf4A

I wonder how different this encounter would have been if he had some form of self defense, Krav Maga or not.

quote unstpabl1:

How does an fat, old, unfit guy run away????

Probably not fast enough to get away from some young punks looking for trouble, but if it were zombies you’d only have to stomp on somebody else’s foot/calf and you’d be good to go.
    I agree with CJ’s dad, in that it’s better to be prepared than to ignore a possibility. For the sake of consistency within my argument, I’m referring to situations a person could encounter inside a dining facility/bar, or their home. Both have weapons of opportunity, could have rifles/shotguns involved. Down here where I live in Virginia, the gangs do use rifles and shotguns in home invasions and street crimes. I won’t be caught unprepared.

bear34

quote CJs Dad:

Interesting thought, and while I do not live in Gaza or even a bad area of LA when the nose ringed kid pulled up alongside of me just yesterday screaming I’d just cut him off and pull over old man then proceeded to jump out of his car and walk towards me wielding some sort of pipe or stick he produced from under his seat I was compelled to smile at him and in a calm almost laughing voice say “you might want to call some friends”

(Coincidentally I was actually on the phone with one of my students who heard the entire conversation)

The point is we never know how or when something may jump off, what started it or even if it doesn’t even involve us. I do however believe it is better to be prepared and never have to use it then to be a victim.

But hey that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Don’t leave us hanging…….what happened?

bear34

quote TacticalTimmy:

Probably not fast enough to get away from some young punks looking for trouble, but if it were zombies you’d only have to stomp on somebody else’s foot/calf and you’d be good to go.
    I agree with CJ’s dad, in that it’s better to be prepared than to ignore a possibility. For the sake of consistency within my argument, I’m referring to situations a person could encounter inside a dining facility/bar, or their home. Both have weapons of opportunity, could have rifles/shotguns involved. Down here where I live in Virginia, the gangs do use rifles and shotguns in home invasions and street crimes. I won’t be caught unprepared.

Tactical Black looked more like para-military hide in the woods til Helter Skelter than protecting yourself from home invasion to me. Thank you all for your opinions. I very much enjoy the lack of personal attacks against people who disagree on this board. It is a breath of fresh air on the internet.

pdxvance42

I believe proper self defense training yields a level of self confidence. One also learns awareness and begins to evaluate their surroundings differently. I think these things end up preventing dangerous situations from ever happening so that the actual physical self defense tactics aren’t even necessary.

Most scumbags are predators looking for easy prey. A person walking confidently with their head on a swivel sends the message, “I won’t go down easy”.

I sometimes wonder how many people have been defended by their Krav Maga training and never even knew it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: