Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics No need for self defence?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Re: No need for self defence?

quote bear34:

Thank you all for your opinions. I very much enjoy the lack of personal attacks against people who disagree on this board. It is a breath of fresh air on the internet.

Probably my favorite part about this board.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote PDXVance42:

I believe proper self defense training yields a level of self confidence. One also learns awareness and begins to evaluate their surroundings differently. I think these things end up preventing dangerous situations from ever happening so that the actual physical self defense tactics aren’t even necessary.

Most scumbags are predators looking for easy prey. A person walking confidently with their head on a swivel sends the message, “I won’t go down easy”.

I sometimes wonder how many people have been defended by their Krav Maga training and never even knew it.

I think the air of self confidence coupled with situational awareness is a very valid point.

For example how many average people do you know who don’t train in some sort of contact sport that get hit in the face on a regular basis? Knowing what it feels like to get punched hard and more importantly tackling the fear of being hit is a very empowering thing, especially for women. It’s the “is that the best you got” mentality. When you add the 0-60 aggression drills and countless hours of repetition in various situations/attacks allows you to be mentally prepared for practically any act of violence your unfortunate enough to find yourself in. Psychological preparedness is something that’s not talked about enough imho but it’s a huge advantage over a would-be bad guy.

As far as the rest of my story, its not that glamorous. I used a technique called verbal de-escalation or “verbal judo” in LE speak. I calmly exited my vehicle shut the door and leaned against it arms folded in a passive manner. While continuing to chat on my phone the young man waived the stick around in the air brandishing and making gestures. Pointing to my ear piece I said “1 sec Bluetooth on the phone” indicating to him that I wasn’t concerned with his ranting. I than described loud enough for him to hear the situation to the person on the phone careful not to say “yeah I’m ok, no I don’t need help” instead I kept with that air of confidence saying “no the babies not in the car” “no its no big deal theres only one of them” “nope just a stick, walk in the park” “I could use the exorcize” we then went back to talking about the afternoon WOD and my students asthma issues it caused.

Finally having enough of me ignoring him the young man screamed “hey! I’m talking to you!! To which I replied “oh, sorry was caught up, you were saying?” frustrated but the wind out of his sails the young man made a few more remarks about me needing to watch myself and jumped back in his vehicle screeching away.

You can just call me “The A-hole Whisperer”

mara-jade

You can just call me “The A-hole Whisperer”:beer::beer::beer:

don

If the gerbil voodoo failed, CJ’s Dad’s car also has this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

:D:

Also:

“Diplomacy is the art of saying ‘Nice doggie’ until you can find a rock.” – Will Rogers

“The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.” – Theodore Roosevelt
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I take Krav Maga so “They can go home safe” too

lennykravitz

Loving the verbal judo!

tzrider

quote CJs Dad:

You can just call me “The A-hole Whisperer”

Can we change your screen name? 😉

mara-jade

quote tzrider:

Can we change your screen name? 😉

Nah, just add it to his sig line:beer:

lancelone

I think self defense is very necessary for every person because every person has right to owns defense from bad persons.

sicpuppy

quote lennyKRAVitz:

But Holroyd Neighbourhood Watch committee member Kevin Hornesaid hefearedteaching self-defence skills could escalate a confrontation and turn a situation violent.

“I am loathe to talk about self-defence for the community at large,”MrHornesaid.

“It might be reasonable for fit, young people, but criminals never usually target people of equal strength to them and it’s better to run than try to defend yourself. What good is self-defence if you are dead?

“Crime is a concern but we shouldn’t have to live in fear and I think it’s a much better attitude to take not to be intimidated.”

Holroyd mayor Yvette Whitfield said she didn’t think there was a need for self-defence classes in the area.

“It’s obviously up to each individual but I don’t think they are necessary,” she said.

OH MY GAWD!!!

How many ignorant statements can we count just in the above few paragraphs?

unstpabl1

The run around in the woods type classes prabably range from silly to really good and everything in between. Are they practical or Reality Based Self Defense(RBSD)?

I guess that would depend on the classs but we do live in an urban enviorment and things like Katrina, earthquakes and crap happen.

i’ve been thru 2 huge Riots, quakes and even under Martial Law in the US during the 60’s as a kid with M60’s on jeeps Rat patrol style and National Guard at the corner. I was maybe 6 or 7 sleeping next to my .22 or sitting on the porch with it close by and everyone was armed to protect their homes…so crap happens and in everyone onf the cases…nobody was really prepared..

My point is so many of us city dwellers don’t have a plan or worse yet we don’t even know what we don’t know. Soooo taking a class like that might give us a new insight or teach us a necessary skill like cpr or making a fire or trapping food or improvised weapons ANNDDD you get to play outdoors:beer: kinda sounds like fun.

kevinmack

Rat Patrol was my favorite show growing up.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: