Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kvmorl

I wanted to hear advice what good snacks during the day out there are good? I’m not on any specific diet but i have always watched what i eat, I don’t eat fried food, high fat food, sweets, soda and generally i eat Turkey, Chicken breast, 2-4 servings of fruits & vegetables broccoli, asparagus, spinach for lunch/dinner.

I don’t measure the quantity but it’s usually less than what a general restaurant will serve a plate.

My problem recently has been hunger during day at work or off. I am trying Cashews & Trail Mix the fruit version no candy. Is that a good idea? I eat maybe 1 bag during the entire day of snacking. I am constantly on the move or road and limited in time to cooking time.

My weekly workout is 3 Krav days 1 Kickbox aerobics 2 BAS all around workout . I have no idea what calorie consumption looks like with that but i sweat like a shower… 🙂

kravazon

Re: Nutrition question

kvmorl ó I’m not a nutritionist, so I can only tell you what I’ve personally read.

You have to be really careful with nuts (and packaged snacks in general). They are usually PACKED with sodium, which I’ve read could lead to high blood pressure (which could lead to heart disease, kidney disease, or stroke)… How likely something like that is to happen to you if you’re exercising like you are… I have no idea. But I’d leave your packaged snacks consumption to a minimum unless it’s low in sodium.

As for snacks, I’ve always been a big fan of plain ole fruits and veggies. They tend to be more expensive than packaged snacks, but you really just can’t beat a big helping of cherries, grapes, a banana, carrots, carrots dipped in hummus, apples, sliced cucumber, pears, strawberries, peanut butter on apple slices, peanut butter on celery, etc. The good news is that you really can’t overeat on most of that stuff either. It can just be really hard on your budget. :/

Ooooh! Granola and yogurt is a good choice too. Not only do you get some good protein and fiber, but it definitely fills you up. I tend to not like yogurt so much, so I’d experiment with different flavors (vanilla is usually really good) and make sure it has live active cultures in it. (Good for digestion) I usually add blueberries and lots of delicious, delicious granola. A lot of grocery stores now have a wide variety of bulk granola you can buy too (I know Whole Foods does anyway).

I’m also a huge fan of smoothies…

Ummm… that’s all I have for now. But if I think of anything else, I’ll write back!

gabriel-rizk

Unsalted nuts are just fine. Cashews and almonds are loaded with essential fatty acids that your body needs but can’t make for itself.

I’m with Kravazon, fruit and vegetables – but especially fruit. The natural sugars in fruit can give you a boost if you need it.

If I could make one suggestion – stay away from soy. The health food they were singing the praises of is now showing its darker side. It’s been shown to contribute to hypothyroidism, decreased metabolism, efeminate qualities in developing males, and these are only a few of the side-effects. Considering that Asian nations used soybean oil to fuel lamps and soy protein as fertilizer until recently, I’m not all that suprised. The average American consumes far more soy than any other ethnic group in history.

After reading up on the subject, I cut soy completely out of my diet. This was especially hard since soy is present in virtually every processed food you can find.

Cutting out the processed food has done wonders for my health and self-control though.

P. S. Israel has heavily regulated soy in their country. Maybe they know something that we don’t?

kvmorl

Good replies…

The bagged ones i’m trying have 15mg sodium per serving(28g) from Kraft. Is that high?

The fruits, how do you prepare them for the day? Do you cut them and put on bag or buy dry ones? I like the yogurt with granola idea, I have heard to watch the Granola as some out there add lots of sugar to making it.

I buy a big tub of pre cut fruits usually 2 times a week and eat them at night, it is pretty pricey about $10ea for it.

Interesting about Soy; Thats the milk i drink Soy Light, it has helped my digestion as lactose make my stomach go crazy. Anybody else heard about Soy in that regard? That’s the first i hear of it..

nixxon

kvmorl,

Make sure your buying nuts that contain only nuts and salt as the ingredients. Anything with excess oils or ingredients are starting to drift into the not-so-healthy area.

String cheese, beef jerky, baby carrots, broccoli, celery + natural PB&J + raisins (ants on a long anyone).

You can also buy some deli meat (deli is the way to go, the other stuff is filled with crap most of the time) buy some deli cheese, roll it up and eat it or cut it up then put it on some crackers.

Careful with yogurt also, yogurt tends to have ALOT of sugar. I like greek yogurt which is almost like a cream cheese, its VERY smooth and creamy, if I want it sweet I’ll add some honey to it.

Protein shakes, instant oatmeal, tuna packets.

These are some things that I use, I tend to not really eat snacks per say, but meals. So when I’m hungry I’ll eat a meal rather than snack my way to the next one.

kvmorl

Beef Jerky really?

I like all those which is good, when looking for yogurt i usually look for low calorie/sugar ones.

The celeries and carrots i have to dip into ranch.. maybe i can find low fat ranch.. 🙂

I wish i could eat a meal, i’m usually moving and short in time that it’s a luxury.

tbbfan76

Good luck with the low fat Ranch. I love ranch and tried the low fat and it tasted horrible to me.

Tuna is very good you can eat the packets with wheat crackers. Just don’t add any mayo.

Low fat ranch taste like crap. I figured out in a hurry I’d rather not have any dressing than have to eat that nasty mess.

kravazon

I think you’re okay eating the bagged snacks that have 15mg of sodium. That’s not too, too much.

I hate to be a party pooper here… but I’m fairly certain beef jerky is overflowing with sodium… I’ve seen beef jerky with like 700mg of sodium. (I’m surprised you don’t just die on the spot! haha!) Do you notice what one of my biggest worries is!? haha!

You also want to watch your cheese intake. It usually has good things like calcium, but is also made up mostly of saturated fats! :/ I know, I know… It’s soooo delicious though.

Nothing should kill you if you eat it in moderation. Try to pay attention to what you eat and how it makes you feel afterwards. If you feel sluggish, it probably isn’t a good choice.

Hope that helps!

vinman

roasted unsalted almonds are a nice item to add….they fill you up for a few hours, and are loaded with good fat

fruits, veggies, and lean meats are the best diet choices

destrangis

You could buy some pre-cut fruits at the supermarket and eat a few pieces whenever you are hungry. Or just take a whole piece of fruit, such as an apple, pear, peach, banana or the like. It’s healthy and it’ll fill you up.

Peanut Butter and Celery Sticks just like Ma used to make.

If you can spare the the cash and have the time get a food dehydrator and make your own dried friuts, they pack well, taste good, and are good for you.
    I wouldn’t make it long w/out my Food Dehydrator.
    It takes little maintenence or complication to throw on batch of friut and go about your buisness.

krav-harp

Fresh fruit is always good. I have a plastic container that I keep in my fridge. A couple of times a week I fill it up with slices of apple, mango, grapefruit and whatever else I feel like adding. I usually squeeze some fresh lime juice on it (keeps the apples from turning brown too quickly). I snack on that, and usually bring a smaller container of it to work with my lunch (great pre-class snack).

I often have a bowl of this fruit salad for breakfast, and while I still occasionally eat chips (usually blue corn tortilla chips) fruit and nuts is what I try to eat for snacks.

kvmorl

Great stuff on this thread so far!

This week i switched to grapes to snack during day, I have to check out the dehydrator, my father in law lives by that thing too…

How long is the fruit lasting after drying in the dehydrator usually?

quote kvmorl:

Great stuff on this thread so far!

This week i switched to grapes to snack during day, I have to check out the dehydrator, my father in law lives by that thing too…

How long is the fruit lasting after drying in the dehydrator usually?

I cant give you an exact date becuase it either go’s into the food saver for backpacking or gets eaten rather quickly, certain friuts last longer than others banana chips last forever, most friuts can be stroed for about 6 months or so that I know of. (Dip in Lemon Juice for best results before drying, it makes some chemical reaction for fruits.)
    Veggies should be steamed defore drying.
    You can make other stuff besides just fruit, oatmeal snacks, Sun Bars, JERKY!!!! of course, and fruit or veggie leathers.
    Veggie leathers like Puree Tomato’s w/ Italian Herbs are good.

Some other good ones:
    Natural potato chips, take some tater slices and lightly season to taste and then dehydrate…no fats, grease or garbage, you can also use cucumber instead of taters and they are awesome.

Small dabs/drops of Yogert make great dehydrated snaks. (Throw some nuts in the middle of the drop before drying for extra)

One of my Favs is if you are a fan of Ruben Sandwiches you can make Ruben Rounds (Cracker ,made of Rye Flour,SauerKrout, Caraway Seeds) and have a light snack instead of monster Sandwhich.

Possibilities are endless and delicious and healthy, I do a huge amount of Backpacking and Camping all year so the Dehydrator and the Smokers are always going.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: