Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Ohad Gidon-Born into it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    ryan

Re: Ohad Gidon-Born into it.

I never mentioned the kicks, though I very well could have, along with all of the grounded arm bars, reaching for the wrist on the gun disarm, going to the ground with knife, etc. Also, I’m sorry, but it’s obviously staged. He knows the attacks that are coming, and much of it is done in sequence (which is typical for demos, so I’m not saying anything negative about it, only clarifying.)

As I said, he’s very talented and polished, and this stuff looks great for demos, but I wouldn’t use this vid to “sell” KM to students. I would rather see “regular” people doing KM…that’s what KM is about in my mind. Just my opinion.

We are talking about a high level Krav Maga professional, this is all that kid does. This guy has about in much in common with the average Krav end user as Stephen Hawking has in common with a High School science student. Seriously, a high kick to the head? What if you’re wearing dress shoes? Or in full Battle Rattle? Might as well teach the jumping spinning axe kick. : )

rick-prado

quote JamesH:

The guy is obviously VERY talented! I could use him at demo’s at any event and get more students. However, I measure someones knowledge (not talent) by what thluey do against weapons; and the first thing that sticks in my mind about that video is where his hands went when the gun is pressed into the back of his neck.

With that level of training he should know better and show better. Still, a really talented guy 🙂

Are you referring to the gun defense show at 1:42?

As for the high kicks, if you can pull them off like he can,( and his partner Yigal, I say more power to you) however, the 47 year old dude with no experience well….that’s another matter.

It is a demo, designed to entice and attract!

samson

James H, what were you referring to when critiquing Ohad’s gun defense?

crazy-train

i think what he was pointing out was that ohad went straight for the attacker’s wrist…now, ohad definitely looks fast enough to do just that, but the technique calls for the defender to shoot in towards the attacker’s arm pit.

the reason for this is in case the attacker pulls their gun away. by pulling the gun away you are moving the location of the wrist, but your shoulder and bicep/triceps area is relatively in the same place….thus, shooting for the arm pit makes it more likely for you to control the weapon arm/hand, instead of going for the wrist, missing, and getting shot.

so, that’s what i think james was referring to….i could be wrong

kevin-mack

I thought he was talking about the hands going up

kvmorl

Very impressive. Should we expect any less….

crazy-train

it’s ok to let your hands come up like that, like a “hey man, i don’t want any trouble kind of reaction.” or some people may just raise their hands because they got scared because someone put a gun to them. in some instances, bringing your hands up may be helpfull.

jamesh-d30

OK I didn’t mean to start a side discussion and i certainly don’t want to take anything away from the obvious talent shown here, but like I said…somthing that sticks out in MY mind during only a cursory viewing of the video is that when the gun was pressed into the back of his neck, his hands went OUT. I agree you may have to raise your hands in some instances, but this is not one of them. Also, if you do have to raise your hands, they should remain in your silhouette, not out away from your body where it makes your initial defensive movement much larger and far more easily detected by the gunman.

Since the gun was at his neck, his hands had nothing to do with the initial re-direction anyway. All it did was telegraph his movement to the gunman.

By the way, there is nothing ‘instinctive’ about raising your hands when a gun is pointed at you. That is a learned response. Point a fake pistol at a baby in the baby’s reach and the only resonse you’ll get is the baby grabbing the pistol. Any learned response can be unlearned just as easily.

And yes, he also stayed very far away and wrapped right at the wrist without going far enough in. And since you’ve forced me to look at the video again, I would also argue that he is very close to giving up his back on the disarm. He’s parallel to the gunman and has to turn away alot to get at the gun completely loosing site of the guy he’s fighting with.

Then again, anyone could pick me apart on video too, and I’m not nearly as talented as this kid:): My goal wasn’t to pick apart his technique, rather to poiont out a tactical mistake.

Ok… All the nit picky stuff aside the thing that KILLS me watching this kid is his balance/footwork. He’s freakin’ fast and never once looks like he’s even slightly off center. He looks like he could be sorting mail or putting away dishes, not throwing punches. Even on his high kicks!

This was the first thing that attracted me to Krav. Upon taking Krav lessons I fully expected there to be a long class about how to make it look like you were bored while kicking the hell out of somebody. When I watch advanced Krav demos I am constantly surprised by the economy of motion.

Also…

quote JamesH:

Point a fake pistol at a baby in the baby’s reach and the only response you’ll get is the baby grabbing the pistol.

After reading this I made my hand into the shape of a pistol and pointed it at my 3 week old son. My research concludes that a baby’s initial response is to attempt to suckle the end of anything pointed near its face…

bull1189

quote DirtyHippieUte:

After reading this I made my hand into the shape of a pistol and pointed it at my 3 week old son. My research concludes that a baby’s initial response is to attempt to suckle the end of anything pointed near its face…

I would be remiss in my duties if I didn’t tell you this: DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE “SUCKLE THE GUN” DEFENSE – EVEN IF IT FEELS LIKE YOUR NATURAL RESPONSE. RESEARCH INDICATES IT DOES NOT WORK.

Carry on.

rofl2

kvmorl

quote Bull1189:

I would be remiss in my duties if I didn’t tell you this: DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE “SUCKLE THE GUN” DEFENSE – EVEN IF IT FEELS LIKE YOUR NATURAL RESPONSE. RESEARCH INDICATES IT DOES NOT WORK.

Carry on.

rofl2

Yes, I’ve read its bad for your gums and might damage teeth specially if bullet is involved! rofl2

Ok, sorry for the hijack.. back on topic.

At what level do students usually start learning gun defense?

mara-jade

Weapons Defenses start at level 4

no-mercy

Well i don’t know how you ppl say that it is only for a “show”.
    Most of you that haven’t got the chance to see Ohad dont have a clue what you see is waht you get. And if you think its only a show you will be welcome to go to israel to the city of Netanya to Haim Gidon school and tell them that you think its only for show. Ohad will be glad to put up this show with anyone.

And about the kicks and the technique don’t forget where Krav Maga is coming from.
    As an israeli that trained in Israel and now i’m training here.
    I would say that there is still mutch to learn beffor you can judge the true masters of Krav Maga.

Krav maga its not about sport like MMA, its not a Martial art.
    Its about survival.

ryan

Well, no one said “it’s only for show”, and I seriously doubt anyone cares enough to go to Netanya. Furthermore, where Krav Maga “is coming from” has little bearing on the efficacy of techniques as shown in a video that is clearly for DEMONSTRATION. Ohad didn’t seem to be in a fight for his life in the video I saw.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: