Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge OK they mentioned weaknesses here for km but what about other martial arts?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’m looking for weaknesses in these systems:
    Systema, Kung Fu , Sambo, Kyukushin Karate, Jeet Kune Do, Muy Thai, Brazilian Jujitsu, American Wrestling?

seraphs-coal

Re: OK they mentioned weaknesses here for km but what about other martial arts?

One point is that its how the MA is practiced, you might have seven guys that train hard in Wing Tsun for example, yet all will apply it differently and with seperate inherint weaknesses, this is true of any MA and includes Krav.

I cant speak for all on your list because I am not familiar enough with them to comment, yet with BJJ, a common critique is multiple attacker defenses, unlike Judo there are no throws, so finding techniques to take on a trio become harder, not impossible though.

Kung Fu / Muay Thai is the reverse, less moves when it goes to the ground. You can still defend yourself with Kung Fu on the ground but its not often taught that way.

Sambo is often compared to Judo and sometimes labelled the Russian version of Judo, I dont know more than that bar the fact that its hard to find Dojos that train in it.

The biggest weakness is the user and closed-minded training groups.

tech94

I have trained in and am certified as an instructor in jkd concepts under Vunaks camp. The biggest weakness I found with that style was a lack of scenario based training and too much focus on things that I grew to realize weren’t very realistic. Energy drills and flows and trapping techniques work well in training but didn’t seem like something I’d even attempt during a real self defense situation. Knife on knife training seemed useless to me, since I don’t carry a knife and didn’t seem like something that would be common in a NYC suburb. I do like the defanging the snake concepts though. I like the simple concepts of RAT and closing in and using knees and elbows on the inside. I also did two rotations in Haganah FIGHT when I lived in Florida. Concepts very similar to KM for obvious reasons. Some forum members aren’t fans of MLK and his possible marketing scheme and lies about his military career, but his concepts and techniques were pretty sound. I particularly liked the idea of training in rotations and being exposed to the entire curriculum in about 4 months. For the average person training this exposure to the entire curriculum might be of great value since they wouldn’t have to dedicate years of training to feel safer. False sense of security can’t be ruled out though if they don’t practice the perishable skills. I have trained in BJJ as well and find it a great sport and great cardio workout, but would personally never use it or train it for street defense. I train in what equates to counter grappling now. I don’t want to spend 20 trying for an arm bar or choke etc, I want to be able to counter those techniques though and that’s my grappling focus. I have also trained in SPEAR and crossfit defense and find the outside 90 concept as well as the precontact cues to be of greater value than most other MA I have trained in since I was 12

lions2011

BJJ is very great for cage or ring. However, in the street the last thing you want is too be on your back in guard. However, having a purple belt on top of you is a different manner that I never want to experience lol.

I think Krav is great because it deals with weapons and exposes you too so many common street situations. Plus it teaches you so many various weapons to use such as palm strikes and hammer fists.
    For MMA reasons I would not find KRav very effective through.

Kung Fu / Muay Thai is the reverse, less moves when it goes to the ground. You can still defend yourself with Kung Fu on the ground but its not often taught that way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: