Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Over the counter rifle defense

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

Yesterday, in the news, they showed video of two separate robberies in which the assailant was pointing a rifle over the counter at the clerk.

I was wondering how to defend in that situation? Obviously, the counter would make the regular rifle defense impossible. One could redirect the rifle, but the attacker may be too far away for any immediate counter with the hands and you couldn’t use your feet. The regular takeaway wouldn’t work either, as the rifle might get caught against the obstruction.

Could one redirect the rifle, then pull on it, hopefully getting the attacker off balance? But how would you counter? Maybe the takeaway shown on p 326 (rifle over his head) would work and one could hit him with the butt of the rifle while doing this takeaway. But what if you can only go to the live side for some reason? Can that type of takeaway be done from that side?

If nothing else, one could maybe redirect, pull the rifle forward, hoping to stretch the attacker out, maybe hit him with the butt of the rifle as he is trying to pull it back toward him. Or maybe one could attempt to do the regular takeaway, while holding the rifle more sideways (over the counter). If you manage to redirect it and then grab it with your other hand, pulling the butt of the rifle toward you and maybe hitting him with the barrel (as shown on p321/322, only with the rifle on top of the counter), you might be able to hurt him and get it out of his grip.

Any other suggestions/official methods?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Great question

I think if we make the assumption that the attacker is close enough to actually address the danger IE angle of trajectory and take it offline what exactly do you do for a counter attack that wonít bring it back online.

Purely speculation on my part but this is what I see in my minds eye, if one hand moves the muzzle offline and say pins it down to the counter top the other hand and the rest of you can begin to come over the top of the counter and do a simultaneous strike then go to 2 hand control disarm depending on attackers body posture/variables.

To carry the assumption further and continue to speculate, if the hand grabbing the muzzle and moving it offline is able to get a good enough grip you could in theory use it (while remaining offline) to actually help pull you up on the counter while pulling him to you at the same time. Once clearing the counter tough to say since who knows where you are in relation to the weapon.

Still I see tons of flaws in my defense.. so I shall ask those that know significantly more then I and welcome other opinions here in the forums.

As always in firearm or any attack scenario my first thought is to address the immediate dangerÖ after that.. lots of things come into play.

giant-killer

Looks like we are thinking along the same lines. Redirect, then pull on the weapon, hopefully making him lose his balance and fall onto the counter. Then punches, if possible, since kicks of course wouldn’t work. If he actually falls onto the counter and one has enough weight to press down on the gun with one hand for a moment, I suppose it would also be possible to grab something heavy, such as a bottle, and hit him with it.

Of course, his natural reaction would probably be to pull the rifle back. So, if you can’t make him lose his balance by pulling on the rifle initially, maybe he’ll be pulling into the opposite direction and it would become a tug of war. Maybe you’d be able to angle the rifle up and away in that case and somehow get on top of the counter and over it, so you could then do the regular defense/takeaway. However, seems that that would be hard, unless you are pretty athletic.

Depending on how far away he is initially, maybe a counter with a punch would not be possible (you might not be able to reach, at least if you have short arms like some people around here… 😉 ).

I think redirecting, then pulling the rifle forward, then getting two hands on it and trying a modified takeaway, either regular or over the head might be the best option, hitting him with the rifle butt or the barrel, depending on which takeaway you are going for, then taking the rifle and backing up. Smashing the hands holding the rifle into the counter (during the initial pull) could also help of course.

giant-killer

Is there any official defense for this? Are we on the right track or off by a mile? 🙂

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Well, Dave Blue’s quote was \”too many varibles I’d need to see the scenerio\”

giant-killer

Well, the scenario is: You are a clerk behind the counter of your store (so it’s not a table or shorter, lighter obstacle that you might be able to jump over or get by easily). The bad guy comes up and points the rifle across the counter at you, demanding money. The barrel doesn’t rest on the counter, but is maybe an inch or so above it. It doesn’t extend beyond the counter, but is held just about the middle of it. Attacker is right-handed and he clutches the rifle firmly underneath his right arm. The rifle does not have a sling. Go! 😀

By the way, in the one video that was shown, the robber first threatens the clerk with the rifle, holding it the way I just described, but when the clerk gives him the money, he puts the rifle on the counter to grab the cash. The clerk takes the opportunity to take the rifle. Robber flees, but comes back a few minutes later to get his rifle. For some reason the clerk doesn’t shoot him and a struggle ensues in which the robber manages to take back the rifle. One shot goes off, but no one is injured. Robber flees with the rifle.

So, if nothing else, that could be a strategy, too, just hand the bad guy so much cash that he has to let go of the rifle in order to take it all, then grab the weapon.

Oh, and I was also thinking, maybe, if you are struggle for the rifle and you could manage to pull the rifle butt toward you, past the counter, maybe you could push it down, then use the counter as leverage to break his grip. In theory. 🙂

giant-killer

Hey CJ’s Dad,

Did you ever get a chance to ask Darren about this one?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: