Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Overtraining or Plateau?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brewerm

I started Krav in February when I was in extremely poor shape; 300 lbs of mostly fat, couldn’t climb 2 flights of stairs without breathing hard, lethargic, and had not done any major physical training in 30 years. (I’m 47)

I jumped in doing Krav 3 or 4 days per week and in the first 4 months I could see huge improvement in stamina, strength, had great weight loss; 6″ off my waist and 40 lbs without modifying my diet and I am thrilled! I have picked up an agressive water core strengthening and aerobic class designed for runners to improve their conditioning that is extremely intense. I am currently training 5 or 6 days per week and sometimes the Krav first and core strengthening afterwards.

However in the last 2 weeks I have regressed in both stamina and strength leaving class completely wiped out, unable to finish most of the cardio and calesthenics; the punches and kicks don’t have the same intensity that they had just a few weeks ago.

I would like some feedback please are my expectations to high due to my age and lack of fitness at the onset? or have I hit a plateau that I need to just push through? or should I take a couple of days off and start back?

zen4me

Re: Overtraining or Plateau?

quote brewerm:

I started Krav in February when I was in extremely poor shape; 300 lbs of mostly fat, couldn’t climb 2 flights of stairs without breathing hard, lethargic, and had not done any major physical training in 30 years. (I’m 47)

I jumped in doing Krav 3 or 4 days per week and in the first 4 months I could see huge improvement in stamina, strength, had great weight loss; 6″ off my waist and 40 lbs without modifying my diet and I am thrilled! I have picked up an agressive water core strengthening and aerobic class designed for runners to improve their conditioning that is extremely intense. I am currently training 5 or 6 days per week and sometimes the Krav first and core strengthening afterwards.

However in the last 2 weeks I have regressed in both stamina and strength leaving class completely wiped out, unable to finish most of the cardio and calesthenics; the punches and kicks don’t have the same intensity that they had just a few weeks ago.

I would like some feedback please are my expectations to high due to my age and lack of fitness at the onset? or have I hit a plateau that I need to just push through? or should I take a couple of days off and start back?

Sounds like overtraining to me. There are times to push through but I don’t think this is one of them based on the information you provided. I’d say take a break and let your body rest, but don’t cut out exercise completely. Do active recovery type stuff, a short run, a long walk, maybe an easy bike ride. Just don’t stop completely, thats the worst thing you could do. Also make sure to keep hydrated and get plenty of sleep.

– Kelly

Check thee diet and hydration levels, I say. Your body has become a different type of machine now and will require a whole new type of maintenance. I noticed I started easing up on my strict diet when I began to drop the pounds, but quickly realized it was pushing me back a few steps.
    I could be wrong.

hollywood

First I would try modifying your diet. Make sure your getting a well balanced diet. This may be why your body is getting fatigued. On the other hand, your body may be telling you to take a little break. I usually take a week or two break around july and december to let my body recooperate. But make sure that you don’t let that little break turn into not coming back. I know once you get out of that habit of training its really hard to get back in there. good luck

jjbklb

When preparing for long distance races,the training schedules always have ‘recovery weeks’ built in where the mileage is reduced .This allows your body to heal all the ‘mini-injuries’ that have been accumulating.

Oftentimes,your next weeks workouts go better then those before the recovery week.
    Just remember to reduce your calorie intake during the recovery week to compensate for the decrease calorie burn.

bey

I would agree that it would be a good idea to take a week and recover. Take a few days and rest, and the other days, do some easy recovery exercise.

You will find that when you get back to training, your body will feel refreshed and you will be more focused.

kmky

same thing was happening to me. i was doing cardio & weights in the morning then bas’ workout in the evening and going to krav. i was so tired that i could barely make it through warmups much less class. a friend (and personal trainer) suggested i check the amount of protein i was eating. turned out i was eating about 1/2 what i should have been. once i increased my protein intake i noticed an immediate difference, so what everyone else is saying about diet is the first place i would check.

It is easy to overtrain and plateau. I lift wts 4-5x/wk plus 2-3 KM classes a week, I take off a full week of wt lifting every 10-12 wks. I also take in 200/250gm protine a day plus 30/40gm of Glutamine a day for soreness. I’m new at KM classes so that is my cardio for the week, to tired to do much more LOL.

Keith

brewerm

I appreciate the feedback I got from you all. I will do everything you suggested, rest, hydrate, check the diet, add more protein.

Thanks,

Brewer McNeil

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: