Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    prowler

Might as well try out the forum’s features, so here’s a poll.

clfmak

How do I do the poll? Palm! Wait, no, fist! Oh, I can’t decide! I’ll be hitting my heavy bag, I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

juslearnin

It does however depend on where you are striking. To the head, heel of palm all day. Soft tissue areas I would use a fist.

markx3

Bas has had some serious successes with plam strikes to the head.

scn

I agree with juslearnin. I would even do heel palms to the body if I feel I can get my body into the strike. Wouldn’t want to risk broken knuckles with fists strikes. Just my two cents.

anonymous

In the January edition of Black Belt magazine (available now) there is an interesting article about the \”combat slap\”. You should check it out.

The author claims he has knocked many people out with it, using it mostly as a preemptive strike. Apparently the knock out is different from one achieved with a closed fist, where the brain hits the skull and the person loses consciousness. With the slap a larger part of the face is hit and it shocks the whole nerve system, forcing his body to shut down.

It’s also good legally, because you can tell the police \”I slapped him\” as opposed to \”I punched him\”, looks a lot less aggressive and the opponent may even be so embarrassed about being knocked out by a slap, he might not report it at all.

Of course one would probably have to practice this for a while before one would be able to do it correctly, but it sounds interesting.

clfmak

That combat slap seems like the strike that Keith Hackney took down Emmanuel Yarborough with.
    I didn’t think so many people would choose the fist. The open hand is as flexible and effective if trained properly. Some very good martial arts focus on the open hand almost exclusively, such as baguazhang (zhang means palm), ki chuan do, systema, and combato. The palm hook to the head and chin jab are some of your best offensive tools, especially against grappling, and are much stronger than their fist counterparts.

kmsf

I wrote a little on the combat slap in the last forum about a year ago (long before the BB article.) I believed then and still do now that it is very effective in a CQ situation. My instructor from Israel that showed it to me called it Champha (not totally sure of the spelling) In that forum I gave the body mechanics to deliver a good one. The article in BB magazine was pretty good though and made me aware that more people practice this.

andre

Very much depends on the context. Each has it’s advantage and risk, and one advantage that the is often over looked for the fist is the additional couple of inches it provides.

foxy

brachial stun

well, an open handed strike to the side of the neck (brachial nerve area) can cause instant unconsciousness! There is a video in the system courtesy of the LAPD, complete with wacky guitar music, showing an LAPD instructor decking a crackhead with one strike to the left side of the neck with an open right palm, and it takes the guy a good 15 seconds to get up (with a little help), and waddle off to a waiting taxi.
    v amusing!

Foxy

jjbklb

\”..KMSF
    Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:49 am

I wrote a little on the combat slap in the last forum about a year ago (long before the BB article.) I believed then and still do now that it is very effective in a CQ situation. My instructor from Israel that showed it to me called it Champha (not totally sure of the spelling) In that forum I gave the body mechanics to deliver a good one. \”….

for the benefit of those of us who missed it;would you consider reposting it again?

kmsf

Well, obviously I can’t recall every word verbatim but in essence I wrote that an open handed slap to the side of the face is taught in Israel and that it is called in Hebrew Champha I believe- though the spelling could be off slightly. For when you are in a situation where your hands are down and at your sides – note: black belt article shows hands up in defensive position first and then you slip the striking hand down under his line of sight before launching which due to tunnel vision in a stress situation he will not notice* The body mechanics are to be very loose and you turn your shoulders and hips first which when your arm follows it is more of a whipping motion and has alot of speed, distance, and force behind it. I remember comparing it to an elephant’s trunk where they move their head and the trunk whips with force after it. Also it is an open handed strike to get as much surface as possible fingers splayed out and hand slightly curved not flat.

anonymous

So, do you kind of roll your shoulder forward as you are turning your hips? I’ve discovered that if I do a hook punch and roll my shoulder forward, then turn my hips, so that the shoulder and hips will pass by the target first and then the fist follows, that that will make my punch a lot stronger. It would be even stronger if I actually dropped my arm all the way down before striking, but that might be too visible.

Seems like this \”combat slap\” is done in that manner.

guerriere

I voted for palm because it feels more instinctive to me. It’s a \”hey, back off!\” defensive movement morphed into a strike in krav. If the person is actually too far for a strike or backs off then you’ve done a warning gesture as opposed to an aggressive and foolish-looking non-punch. Also, there’s more striking area so less chance of missing. Kicking is the next most natural thing for me, and punching feels kind of alien. I’m getting used to it, though.

If you don’t mind …

… pay a visit to these sites :

http://www.peterconsterdine.com

http://www.geoffthompson.com ( take a look at the forums part )

On both sites, activate the search engine with \” power slap \”, \” double hip \” and \” drop step \”.
    Then you’ll learn some valuable techniques.

There’s also this site :

http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/openHand.php?lang=en&soundsParam=&file=openHand

Look at this open hand techniques article. Brilliant explanations of the reasons to use and abuse of open hand strikes.

Specially in the Combatives approach of the preemptive strikes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: