Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Percentage of people who reach L4+?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    magpie

I was perusing the class schedule of the KMW facility where I train and noticed that the number of KM classes per level seems to decrease the higher you go. Does this mean that a lot of people drop out or otherwise don’t make it to L4 and above?

hoop

Re: Percentage of people who reach L4+?

I have thought about this as well, from a business owner’s perspective.

For every 100 people who sign up for classes, how many take the L1 Test…the L2, etc.

I know people wont have exact numbers, but there must a general trend over the years.

krav-math

quote hoop:

I have thought about this as well, from a business owner’s perspective.

For every 100 people who sign up for classes, how many take the L1 Test…the L2, etc.

I know people wont have exact numbers, but there must a general trend over the years.

My L1 testing group consisted of 26 students.
    My L2 testing group had 14
    My L3 testing group had 8
    I think all 8 of us are on track to test L4 together (barring no injuries or life circumstances) in about 7 more months.

Krav is hard and requires a lot of dedication…add to that injuries and life circumstances and you can see why there is so much drop off. It definitely feels special to still be going strong and achieving rank, although the most important things I get from krav are fitness and family.

magpie

Life circumstances have always kept me from achieving my personal goal of earning a black belt in any martial art. Either I’ve moved, or couldn’t afford classes, etc.

I am fortunate to have the chance to train at KMW’s L.A. HQ mainly because my workplace is next door and offered deeply-discounted corporate memberships to its employees. However, I don’t intend on working at this company forever, and training in KM will all depend upon whether or not a facility is located close to my home or work.

Guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

lions2011

I have noticed that many students drop out after finishing level 1 test. You never see them again ever. Probably more than half if not far more.
    Also majority of the ones who remain decide to do about 9-12 months of level 2-3 and then are gone for good.
    I am sure less than 5 percent stick around more than 2 years.
    My guess
    Plenty of new students to take there place through.

shinfucius

A lot of people do drop out or don’t make it beyond L3 for one reason or another. But you see that trend elsewhere, not just Krav Maga. The majority of the students are in L1. As you go up each level, there are fewer students (compared to L1).

lions2011

Most students drop out because of job or family stuff. It is the same everywhere.

In my Muay Thai gym the drop out ratio is 60 percent. Even higher I Think.

As soon as the new kids or new job occur they are gone. Dont have the time.

chinhdoan

Hi there. I haven’t been on this site in awhile but this is something I have also noticed where I train. I’ve been (rather use the term “studying”) kravmaga for about 8 years now. I did take a 2 year sabbatical due to my daughter being born but when I came back, I was surprised to find that there have been no L4 testing. I finished my L3 test 2 years before my daughter was born so if you do the math, its been 4 years since my L3 test. There are no L4 students at my school. We have 8 blackbelt instructors, no L4 students. There have been many before me and after me that have finished their L3 testing and after that, its a plateau. People wait for a L4 test but theres never any word of it. Is this common in other schools? It seems like there is no where to go after L3 unless you are invited into the apprenticeship program, become an instructor in order to move forward. Any thoughts?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Honestly its going to be different at every school and every organization. Have you tried speaking to the school owner about it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: