Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Problems with Knife Disarms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My fiancee and I have been working on a number of krav maga techniques based on online guides and the complete krav maga book. Also we have been using “how to defend yourself against armed assault” written by grandmaster Imi Sde-Or himself. And what I find is that while I, being 6 foot and 300 lbs can easily do the wrist lock-type disarm my 95lb 5 foot fiancee is unable to affect a release if I resist at all.

The only thing she can do is run and hope they are in too much pain from the other attacks to chase her down.

Any suggestions?

kirsten

Re: Problems with Knife Disarms

Very good question!

Well here is my thoughts on this. I think you are able to “muscle” through the disarm much easier with her as your attacker without needing to do more “realistic” combatives prior to the disarm due to your strength vs. her strength (note strength not size). Here is my suggestions:

1. Let her actually kick you in the groin, punch you in the face and throat and give as many combatives at 100% power prior to going to the disarm. See how that works for her. I am thinking it will work very well and you may even forget about the knife.

2. If you don’t like #1, then I would suggest being realistic and not resist the knife disarm so strongly. Because you know that a disarm is coming, it is likely that you are gripping the knife a bit strong given that the combatives she is giving is less than 100%. So if you grip the knife at 100% it is reasonable that she should give 100% when making her defense… However, doing so is not conducive to a happy relationship so I endorse option #2.

Now let’s chat a bit about knife training in general… You are not obligated to complete a disarm. There is nothing at all that says you MUST take the knife. Sometimes stopping the attack, giving combatives and using the “Nike defense” IS the best option. In the event you should decide to do a disarm, do not attempt to until the attacker has been sufficiently “softened up”. If not, give more combatives! I can not express the seriousness of knife attacks. I would rather be presented with a gun any day over a knife.

I encourage you to look at Krav Maga Worldwide locations and find one close to you as possible. Then call or email them and find out when they are offering seminars that you can attend. Nothing beats actual instruction and feedback from an instructor. On a personal note I think its great you guys train together. It has been the key to my marriage with Oneness lasting so long. When he leaves the toilet lid up, I just spar with him and get out my aggression! 🙂

Good luck.

bull1189

quote Kirsten:

1. Let her actually kick you in the groin, punch you in the face and throat and give as many combatives at 100% power prior to going to the disarm. See how that works for her. I am thinking it will work very well and you may even forget about the knife.

This is why I love this forum!

I second the advice on finding a Krav Maga location to train at. The book is a great reference for the techniques, but there is no substitute to actually getting training from somone who knows the techniques well, particularly with knives. That is an exceptionally dangerous situation.
    Mike

greenbeanie

“Knife disarms are incidental, if not accidental.” –Dan Inosanto

dckm

my only issue with krav maga knife disarms is that i wish they were taught earlier in the curriculum. a bad guy isn’t gonna wait til i’m on level 4 to attack me with a knife.

kirsten

quote greenbeanie:

“Knife disarms are incidental, if not accidental.” –Dan Inosanto

Love that quote!

dckm… I can understand that and its a comment I think we see here from time to time, but in all fairness KM has to train an aggressive “attack the attacker” mentality into the vast majority of students (with zero training) because giving ground in a knife attack can potentially be a very deadly mistake. Not to mention the foundation of basic skills and movement required to carry out an edged weapons defense. foundation foundation foundation.. and you have learn to walk before you run in life, KM is the same way. But I remember the frustration as well.

But, sign up for those specialized weapons seminars and keep training… good things come to those who wait. 🙂

michaelmall

Our Kristen is on this one,after a hand defence
    a good kick to the groin and a punch to the throat
    a three month old could escape.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Good comments by all, I especially liked Kirstens regarding non compliant training partner.

I might also add I have yet to meet anyone who can hold a knife when the cavalier is done correctly regardless of size disparity.

As one of our basic tenants the technique must be able to be done by a little man as well as large.

So a short scrawny sickly man as well as a dainty demure woman should have no problems if executed correctly.

Good luck with your training~

jburtonpdx

quote Kirsten:

Very good question!

Well here is my thoughts on this. I think you are able to “muscle” through the disarm much easier with her as your attacker without needing to do more “realistic” combatives prior to the disarm due to your strength vs. her strength (note strength not size). Here is my suggestions:

Good luck.

In a level 1 class, a wife working with her husband was having trouble with choke from the front. Hubby had a good strong grip and is a big dude. It was pointed out that she was not sending her leg for the kick very effectively. (Hubby was not wearing a cup… heh)

A moment later Hubby was on the ground

kirsten

Awee… another relationship problem handled through “Krav Maga Couples Therapy”!! LOL

stevetuna

Yes, indeed, I will be reading from this thread tonight at the women’s self-defense class (or, as Mara Jade calls it, KM-PMS class…).

carpecanis

My previous instructor said that it’s very important to learn the disarms, but from his years in the IDF, he’d found that the attackers always dropped the knife after you’d hit him in the face.

mara-jade

quote stevetuna:

Yes, indeed, I will be reading from this thread tonight at the women’s self-defense class (or, as Mara Jade calls it, KM-PMS class…).

Now let’s be correct here. KM-PMS wasn’t started by me. Now the couples marriage therapy phrase – I SWEAR BY THAT ONErofl2rofl2

dckm

quote Kirsten:

Love that quote!

dckm… I can understand that and its a comment I think we see here from time to time, but in all fairness KM has to train an aggressive “attack the attacker” mentality into the vast majority of students (with zero training) because giving ground in a knife attack can potentially be a very deadly mistake. Not to mention the foundation of basic skills and movement required to carry out an edged weapons defense. foundation foundation foundation.. and you have learn to walk before you run in life, KM is the same way. But I remember the frustration as well.

But, sign up for those specialized weapons seminars and keep training… good things come to those who wait. 🙂

i understand what you’re saying. i guess i’m just a little impatient to get to the good stuff. that and i’ve gone to 2 knife defenses seminars and had so much fun i want to keep working with the techniques to get better so it’s 2nd nature.
    in the meantime i’ll take some arnis classes since they start out with weapons and it’s very similar to krav maga in mindset and technique.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“you may even forget”
    May? I might forget? Yes, I might. But I am asking for a disarm that works even if I dont forget.

I mean, I love this disarm, it works wonderfully for me. I was merely asking what disarm might work better for a sub 100 lb female when her attacker didnt forget about his knife, when he didnt drop it.

If you say there isnt one, then I will probably tell her to run every time.

As for a local Krav school, there isnt one. Not within 4-5 hours of here.

If someone would like to open a school in Mobile, AL I would be your first student.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: