Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Protective Gear in Training Class

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

What, if any, protective gear do you wear during class?

hollywood

i wear a cup, because it’s not IF you get hit there it’s WHEN you get hit there!

oldkravdude

For level 1 I have students always wrap their wrists. Bag gloves if they want them. Definately a mouth piece. That’s about it. Level 2 they need shin guards. Oh yeah, like he said, a cup!!! To do any medium to hard sparring boxing gloves and head gear.

anonymous

Agreed. 😀 I wore mine for the first time last night and was 100% more comfortable going through the drills. I also think it added a lot to my partners training as his reservations for hitting me lessened. To that point, I think it there should be some mandatory requirements for protective gear. For guys a cup should be a must, there are so many groin strikes, the added piece of mind for both partners would be increased.

I also think I am going to start using a mouthpiece as I am still learning to get my chin out of the way and like my teeth 😀

Does anybody’s school have mandatory protective equipment rules? Ours has a rule that you need to wear official Krav Maga pants and shirt, which in my opinion is irrelevant. I think protection is a far more important.

smokelaw1

Nothing mandatory at my school. I wear a cup just about every class. Lately, i have been wearing my mouthguard as well, as a certain young female student has a hard time judging distance when throwing combatives. Fortunately, she has yet to develop too much power and \”whips\” her hands out. She caught me in the jaw twice and nose once before I asked her to stop actually hitting me (hadn’t she notice that I was not hitting her?)
    Last night I wished we wore chest guards, as I caught an elbow in the sloar-plexus (SP?) Ooph…that one made me take a breather.

Short version: I think cups should be mandatory and mouthguards should be highly recommended.

johnl-d11

Re:

quote \”OldKravDude\:

To do any medium to hard sparring boxing gloves and head gear.

Since when have we used head gear. 😆 😀

oldkravdude

JohnL (Mosh), I guess I should rephrase that to only the smart ones wear head gear!! You are still just light sparring, so it’s okay!! 😆

jburtonpdx

I think Sue is the only one in the group to have taken any decent shots to the head (outside of testing)….

wyatt9696

definitely a cup(believe me, I’ve been nailed there, and you will be too) we also recommend forearm guards for 360 defenses, fingerless(grappling style) gloves or wraps. obviously full protevtive gear i.e. shinguards, headgear,mouthpiece, boxing gloves for sparring.

smokelaw1

Re:

quote \”wyatt9696\:

we also recommend forearm guards for 360 defenses,.

Interesting. While of course I have felt (repeatedly) the usefulness of this, do you worry about the fact that students’ forearms will not \”toughen up\” if there is padding over the area? I know if we work them for a while, my arm gets pretty banged up.

carpecanis

Our chief instructor has us remove all arm/hand protection for the 360s so we can \”feel the love\” 😈

oldkravdude

360 defenses without forearm guards….well, in old school Krav they wouldn’t have allowed a forearm guard within 5 miles of your training. There is still a group with a certain mind set training at your school (you know who they are) that you can command to do hard 360 defenses without forearm guards and they’ll do it and love it (right, Matt, John, Sue and Mosh?).

However, as I am training housewives and white collar professionals how to be safe (and they are only in it to learn how to protect themselves and their families, not to prove how tough they are) I allow and reccomend forearm guards. After one or two blocks without the student will not go hard/not do it correctly. They don’t need to \”toughen up\” their arms for the one knife attack they may encounter in their lives, they need to learn a strong block correctly.

My .02!!

badge54

While we are padding up I think the walls should be padded.

Badge54

jburtonpdx

Re:

quote \”Badge54\:

While we are padding up I think the walls should be padded.

Badge54

Hmm – I thought you already lived in a padded room…?

giant-killer

If you should ever get Amir to come and train at your place, you better get padded walls. I remember once he was wrestling with another big guy and they somehow crashed through the wall, opening up a big hole. Then Amir said to me: \”Hey, Giantkiller, why don’t you go and tell them about the wall.\” Needless to say, they weren’t happy… 🙁 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: