Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Protective Gear in Training Class

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    wyatt9696

Re:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

quote \”wyatt9696\:

we also recommend forearm guards for 360 defenses,.

Interesting. While of course I have felt (repeatedly) the usefulness of this, do you worry about the fact that students’ forearms will not \”toughen up\” if there is padding over the area? I know if we work them for a while, my arm gets pretty banged up.

When i first started Krav several years ago, no one wore pads. My first experience with 360’s was brutal. my arms were bruised from wrist to elbow, for weeks. After my first class I was like, what the f**k am i doing this to myself for? This is killer, but it must be important. Most of the people I train with now are in there 30s and 40s+, and are not into the pain and\”toughening up\” mode. They’re there to learn some self-defense techniques, and get into better shape. They are not the,\” proving that they can take a sledgehammer beating with their arms, and live to tell about it sect.\” We don’t mandate them, but they are allowed to wear them if they choose. Most choose to. I usually don’t, but thats just me. i’ve been conditioning my forearms for quite a while with Jow and a striking bar. Even with that, 360s can be painful. Like i said, we leave it up to the students, but especially new ones, we recommend padding up. They all know how and could perform a 360 defense on the street, if they had to. Why put them through totally unecessary pain, if there’s no need to? Just my opinion.

giant-killer

I usually try to do without the forearm guards, but I always carry them, just in case it’s a much bigger guy chopping away. Generally, I think some conditioning is fine.

bradm

\”However, as I am training housewives and white collar professionals how to be safe (and they are only in it to learn how to protect themselves and their families, not to prove how tough they are) I allow and reccomend forearm guards. After one or two blocks without the student will not go hard/not do it correctly. They don’t need to \”toughen up\” their arms for the one knife attack they may encounter in their lives, they need to learn a strong block correctly.

My .02!!\”

My .02 also, makes it .04 🙄 Do I hear .06 😆

bradm

\”When i first started Krav several years ago, no one wore pads. My first experience with 360’s was brutal. my arms were bruised from wrist to elbow, for weeks. After my first class I was like, what the f**k am i doing this to myself for? This is killer, but it must be important. Most of the people I train with now are in there 30s and 40s+, and are not into the pain and\”toughening up\” mode. They’re there to learn some self-defense techniques, and get into better shape. They are not the,\” proving that they can take a sledgehammer beating with their arms, and live to tell about it sect.\” We don’t mandate them, but they are allowed to wear them if they choose. Most choose to. I usually don’t, but thats just me. i’ve been conditioning my forearms for quite a while with Jow and a striking bar. Even with that, 360s can be painful. Like i said, we leave it up to the students, but especially new ones, we recommend padding up. They all know how and could perform a 360 defense on the street, if they had to. Why put them through totally unecessary pain, if there’s no need to? Just my opinion.\”

I have to agree with you on that. At my age, I’m not out there to make my arms and shins as tough as baseball bats. I want to learn the self defense techniques as accurately as I can. When I started Krav, we didn’t use arm pads either, but there were times that I wish we did. I found that during 360 drills, after my arms were bruised and sore, I shyed away from performing good solid blocks because I knew it would be painful. I could see many other students doing the same thing.

I agree that students should be allowed to wear the arm pads if they want too.

wyatt9696

It’s just my opinion, that there are 2 types of Krav students. The hardcore type, which wants to exact everything they can from this art, including pain and suffering, which is absolutely fine, if thats your agenda. Then there’s the casual student that is there for the basic package, i.e. learn some self defense, and get in better shape. They will learn just enough to accomplish there basic needs. They will take 2, maybe 3 classes a week, and maybe even miss weeks, and months on end. Which is fine for them. It’s all they want, need, and can handle in there lives. The hardcore on the other hand, would take classes 8 days and nights a week if they’re schedules(and significant others) would allow, and thats just perfect for them. I’m basically saying, that there’s certainly enough room for both types of Kravite. If some people aren’t into it as much as others, they should be allowed to protect their limbs from trauma, and be allowed to wear pads. I’ve seen students drop out of 360 drills, because they couldn’t take the punishment. I just believe, there’s not a right or wrong method here, it’s whatever works for the individual. As long as what they do, doesn’t in any way create anarchy in the class. Just my opinion. BTW, I’m a hardcore wannabe. I take 3-4 classes a week, very seldom miss(except for injury), and would come to classes every day, if my family life didn’t take precedent.

bradm

wyatt,
    I understand what you are saying. When I was training in Krav in Georgia, I guess I was sort of a \”hardcore wannabe\” too. I went to every class I could and gave 110%. I never used the arm pads for 360 drills either. However, sometimes I wished I had when nursing the bruises 😆 I used to do a lot of absorbing kicks to the thigh with one of the younger guys in the class to toughen up our legs. A lot of time before or after class, this guy and I would play \”follow the leader\” kicking and absorbing until one of us decided we had enough pain for the day 😉 It did pay off during sparring though.

I’ll admitt, I really miss it since I stopped training in Krav. When I moved to Florida, the schools offering Krav where I live were not very good so I eventually stopped training.

giant-killer

Well, I believe some conditioning and absorbing drills can be useful, because they might enable you to take a punch better in a fight and you won’t be hurt too easily. It can also teach you how to fight through pain.

Then again, I wouldn’t go overboard and hit my shin with baseball bats or iron rods (as I guess some people do 🙁 ). That type of conditioning can be damaging later on, so it’s probably not worth it for the average self-defense student. 🙂

laurar

Normall no protective gear (guys I believe wear a cup. Well, the smart ones do). If we are advised to do so, a mouth guard.

To protect our partners sometimes we don boxing gloves.

badge54

Takning a punch better is more about mind set than how tough your forearms are. If you take a punch and it hurts then you get stuck at that moment If you take a punch and it hurts so much it pisses you off, that’s the mindset.

Badge54

They get one turn, then it’s my turn and my turn and my turn…I guess I’m just selfish like that.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

… Last night I wished we wore chest guards, as I caught an elbow in the sloar-plexus (SP?) Ooph…that one made me take a breather.

Short version: I think cups should be mandatory and mouthguards should be highly recommended.

An elbow to the solar-plexus? Who hit you, Ginat Killer??? 😆

BTW – I’ll up ya to $0.06

Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS Cup/Mouthguard ALWAYS 😛

giant-killer

kravjeff, you seem confused. The person who got hit in the solar plexus was smokelaw, not me.

About always wearing a cup, it’s disappointing to me. What could be more fun than watching your partner writhe in agony after a well-placed front kick? 😈 😉

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

kravjeff, you seem confused. The person who got hit in the solar plexus was smokelaw, not me.

About always wearing a cup, it’s disappointing to me. What could be more fun than watching your partner writhe in agony after a well-placed front kick? 😈 😉

I don’t think I’m confused … My question was if YOU hit smokelaw. An elbow to the solar plexus (at least a number 1 elbow) would have to come from awfully low!!!

I’m tempted to wear my cup 24/7 just because of people like you 😉

giant-killer

Oh, I see, looks like I’m confused then! No, it wasn’t me, but, come to think of it, it may not be a bad attack for the vertically challenged. Come and visit LA soon, so I can try it out on you. And bring the steel cup, not the plastic cup, you’ll be glad you did…. 😈 😆

smokelaw1

It came from pretty low. My partner for the day is (a guess here) 5’4 or 5’5. I’m 5’11\”. In follow up combatives to a side choke defense, he dropped down a bit and went with a back elbow, as I stepped in a bit to keep the pressure on. Oooops.
    Getting hit is no fun, but sometimes it teaches us a lesson. Don’t walk into elbows. That’s a good lesson.

jburtonpdx

\”Getting hit is no fun, but sometimes it teaches us a lesson. Don’t walk into elbows. That’s a good lesson.\”

I think that is the best and most informative statement I have read on this forum!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: