Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics punch on ! SPARING (stupid questions)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    ffdo

I am getting caught up on all the posts, was this person really asking these things or just really coked up?????

ffdo

Oh, and Diva, good luck on the level test….. I am the guy that shows up every so often that nobody knows and tries to stay as long as I can before I puke…… So say hi if we are ever there at the same time

JC

mayhem

Most untrained people will want to throw that one huge punch and think they are done. You can see this even when holding pads for new people. The jab-cross usually starts out as a tap with the left and a huge power punch with the right. That is a problem and one fight class is usually enough to show most people how important that jab is.

For the guy that started this, if krav maga does not spar as much as you would like, maybe it is not for you. I don’t mean in this a bad way, just that another style might be better suited for you. I dont think there are many places out there that will just throw you to the wolves without seeing that you are at a certain level. If boxing or muay thai arent what you are looking for, try brazilian jiu jitsu. Generally, you are able to spar rather quickly, though you will probably spend a good 6 months getting your ass handed to you by everyone you roll with (unless you are bj penn). I have heard of places by college towns holding amatuer mma fights for a small fee if you really want to test your skills, but I really wouldn’t recommend that unless you really have put in the time training for that.

raffex

got a gym a few miles from me that according to their website actually holds MMA classes ‘for class b/c shooto events’.

actually it says:
    \”BOXING, MUAY THAI, WRESTLING, BJJ\”
    \”you can join the Sunday Sparring class. This is currently set at a level to help people achieve the goal of competing in B/C Shooto events.\”

sounds painful. to the person who suggested bjj, it looks great but it seems mostly ground fighting and holds and locks and i hate being on the ground (dirt, steps, chairs, feet, glass)

sorry to stretch it out

anonymous

The reason for waiting to spar is one needs to learn technique and accuracy before they hit another person. Some examples: when I did Tae Kwon Do I HATED sparring lower belts, Why? Because they would kick me in the jewels, knees ect because they did not have their technique and accuracy down. (I know these kicks happen on the street but thats not my point.) And in Krav Class yesterday I was working with a person who was doing their first class, while doing One hand pluck/ Choke from front, he actually palm heeled me to the chin. Now the only thing I like better then getting hit is hitting back, but I’m sure if I would have hit him back to \”learn him a lesson\” it would have done two things: 1) Discouraged him from returning and 2) Got me thrown out. I don’t mind getting hit, but there are a lot of folks who do.

Now as far as Boxing and Kick boxing go… they are both sports with lots rules. I got away from traditional MA’s because of the rules. The rules take away from the effectiveness in the streets. (Not to say Boxers/Kickboxers/Traditional MA’s can’t fight) But I prefer the NHB approach in Krav Maga where every target is fair game. People ask me why do I take it? No one would be dumb enough to attack me (I’m a big, scary looking dude). Well I have run into those people who are dumb enough LOL and I want to finish them as fast as possible, 😈 plus I love the physical confrontation and science of pure self defense.

Now for the person(s) whinning about peoples spelling and puctuation. Find something to bitch about why dont ya? LOL. This is the internet, not grammar 101. 😆 Sheesh.

klem

Everything has its pros and cons depending on how open a mind you have going in and your willingness pick up on the value being offered.

Examples…
    Boxing and kickboxing- Pros: Conditioning, learning technique, sparring opportuties, opportunities to work with people with varied ring experience,and maybe the greatest value, knowing what it is like to have someone actually trying to hit you and learning how to react. Cons: Not self defense oriented, rules to protect the combatants, no grappling and limited holding, no work on multilpe opponant scenarios.

BJJ- Pros: Groundfigthing and submission skills, conditioning opportunity to work with people of varied mat experience. Cons: Rules to protect the combatants, limited self defense orientation, not geared towards multiple opponents.

Traditional Eastern Martial Arts- Pros: Heavy emphasis on technique, flexibility, balance, self defense is taught, opportunity to have competitions, pretty belt changes every so often. Cons- Not always realistic fighting, sparring for points opposed to effectiveness, conditioning isn’t always emphasized, sometimes you have to pay alot for each of the pretty belt changes.

KM- Pros: Self defense oriented, conditioning, fighting scenarios including stand up, ground, multiple opponents, weapons. Cons: Sparring doesn’t occur till more experience is gained, except for special fight classes or advanced levels- students usually don’t go full contact, Technque isn’t as emphasized as traditional martial arts.

ryan

\”Cons: Sparring doesn’t occur till more experience is gained, except for special fight classes or advanced levels- students usually don’t go full contact, Technque isn’t as emphasized as traditional martial arts.\”

I have a hard time understanding why these are \”cons\”.

abor

I am GLAD that we don’t do sparring until we’ve picked up the requisite skills. If I were confronted by a real attacker, from what I’ve learned so far, I’m pretty confident that I would be able to fight aggressively. But in terms of fighting skills, that’s what I train for, over time. I’m happy to wait for level 2 and higher classes, and when I get there, I’ll be happy to have the knowledge required for sparring. Our instructors remind us about \”safety i training\” and I’m glad for that! Even the advanced classes I have seen where they fight HARD, they emphasize safety along with aggressiveness and techniques.

g-v

I tell ya what, reading Reffex’s posts may be a bit like getting into a trainwreck, but at least he takes all the jabs in stride. Reffex if you’re as relaxed in a fight as you are on this message board, you’re already half way there.

Happy new year, y’all. Just got back from New York and am anxious to get back to training after a 2 week break. I feel totally out of shape. 😆

klem

Not sparring right away is only a con if you want to spar sooner. For example in boxing, a good coach will still make you learn a few basics before you get into the ring, but the timeline to throwing puches at someone with the intent to hit and be hit is probably quicker than KM.

The reason is because the objectives are different not because one is right and one is wrong. When I think of someone wanting to box (beyond fitness or as a supplement to other combatative training), it is because they want to engage in the sport of boxing. If being in a combat sport is the goal vs self defense, getting into the ring sooner is a pro.

kravron

First I think Raffex is just a troll trying to bait.

Second, \” development of accurate punches and elbows, and FITNESS and FAST movement, strikes while moving (running) backwards/forwards, and just REFLEXES, distance to opponent (i MISS BADLY sometimes).\”

Sounds like you need to go back to basics. If you are missing your punches that \”badly\” then you probably never learned how to punch in the first place.

thor

Raffex I am with you. This edumacation is for the birds.

I suggest you and I get together and go visit the Lions Den training facility. Maybe Team Quest. Whatever is closest. We’ll tell these MMA fighters that they are gay sissies and see what happens. If that doesn’t do it we’ll put some rainbow stickers on their cars!!!

If that’s too much work you can borrow my leather chaps. You can wear them without anything else and I’ll pay for the limo ride to the closest biker bar. We’ll bring a camera team. It’ll be a blast.

brotherobin

…or there’s always Dog Brothers \”Gathering of the pack\” http://dogbrothers.com/

clfmak

I think the Dog Brothers are some of the best martial artists around. They have a very live approach and go all out, but aren’t out to kill each other and are not about saying they’re the best. I’d like to go see such a gathering (but not fight) and I’m going to order their kali tudo video.

g-v

Re:

quote \”Thor\:

If that’s too much work you can borrow my leather chaps. You can wear them without anything else and I’ll pay for the limo ride to the closest biker bar. We’ll bring a camera team. It’ll be a blast.

Hmm, buttless chaps, huh? Depending what kind of bar this is, Reffex may just give up on fighting, opting to dance instead. You go, boi!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: