Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mgothers

I keep on loosing skin or marking myself pretty good between my ring finger and my pinking finger right at the base, more so towards the back of my hand rather then just between the fingers…
    Any thoughts on what I maybe doing wrong? I guess clearly I’m not striking with my top two knuckles but I’m guessing this is a common mistake.
    I’m right so most of the time this is my cross punch.

-matt

clfmak

Re: Punching wrong…

If your skin is peeling off, you’re probably scraping or raking the pad with your fist instead of just hitting it. Make sure the trajectories of your punches are landing solid and not arcing when they’re not supposed to. Avoid reaching out on hooks and uppercuts- they should be done in close with a 90 degree elbow bend. Also you should get some handwraps so you don’t get your DNA all over the mitts.

phlegmon27

Hey Matt,
    A) Are you wearing gloves or wraps? I find that gloves can change your striking surface and/or rub the skin off between your knuckles.
    B) Try punching with your pinky down & thumb up (vertical punch). This helps insure that you are making contact with the top two knuckles. Later you can add some rotation at the end of the punch.
    C) Focus on keeping your elbows down. If they flare-out you will make contact with the bottom two knuckles instead of the top two.
    D) Punch straight out and straight back. B and C will help with that.
    E) I’ll keep an extra close eye on you next time you are in my class. You can also ask any of the other guys to evaluate your punching to help you make adjustments.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

mgothers

Thanx Phil! I can’t make it today for personal reasons but I should be there Monday. I’ll ask the instructor. I have been using wraps, and have not had trouble since like maybe the first month I was doing Krav…I think I just altered my punch some how in a bad way and now it’s in muscle memory…trouble is I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong!
    But I’m sure one of you guys can get me punching right on Monday!!
    -m

oneness

You are striking with your lower knuckles. this is common especially for students if they are focusing on keeping their elbows down.

Here is how to fix it.

Put your fist(knuckles) on a wall like you are throwing a normal straight punch Like you are trying to hit it, but don’t! Check the angle that you have and you will see that its most likely your bottom knuckles.

Adjust your fist on the wall so that only the top two knuckles touch the wall and that the second knuckle is straight. Make sure your forearm/wrist is straight.

When you get time shadow box and really work on keeping that straight line. You will correct it in no time, reversing the muscle memory.

phlegmon27

quote Oneness:

You are striking with your lower knuckles. this is common especially for students if they are focusing on keeping their elbows down.

Here is how to fix it.

Put your fist(knuckles) on a wall like you are throwing a normal straight punch Like you are trying to hit it, but don’t! Check the angle that you have and you will see that its most likely your bottom knuckles.

Adjust your fist on the wall so that only the top two knuckles touch the wall and that the second knuckle is straight. Make sure your forearm/wrist is straight.

When you get time shadow box and really work on keeping that straight line. You will correct it in no time, reversing the muscle memory.

+1
    thumbsup

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: