Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Rates & long-term contracts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    djhartm

I attended a local class & was interested in joining, but do not wish to sign a non-cancellable, long-term contract.

Also, pricing & contract requirements seem generally arbitrary and up to each franchise.

When asked about month-to-month payment options, the price was astounding!

The line I got was that they ‘want dedicated students’, but they are myriad reasons for not wanting to sign a long term contract. In fact one local club is already closed.

It seems to be bad business to turn away new students that would otherwise join without exhorbitant month-to-month pricing, or long-term, non-cancellable contracts.

calicogirl

Wow. You would think if you wanted your students to stick around then your teaching style must be one that agrees with these students. I’m not going to join anything long term unless I know that I’m going to love it.

It should be a passion of the people, not – your locked in for life.

It wrong and con-artist type. Give me an instructor that has a passion for teaching, and I will show you a place that is doing very well. 🙂

djhartm

I think the month-to-month rate (minimum of 3 months) was almost $758 for my wife & I. I almost fell out of the chair. 😯

After only one or two classes, its hard to really know if you like something enough to stick with it for a year of payments.

All the clubs in the area are now owned by the same guy, so unless I wanted to travel really far for classes (not), I think Krav will not work for us, which is unfortunate.

mara-jade

I’m wondering for those who can tell me. Are the outrageous prices any different than some brand name gym? I know some people who train at my center and another gym.

That’s cool but I can’t afford that. For what I get I can do our fitness and KM classes as often as I want whenever the center’s open. I can’t compare my center to another since it’s the only one in San Antonio right now. I also don’t want to start something here by asking y’alls fees either 😉

I’ve been there over 2 years and I’m very happy with it. I used to be at a gym years ago but quickly got bored with it. KM you may get bruised, sore, tired but NOT bored 😀

djhartm – that amount you stated was for 3 months?? OMG – that’s nuts. What did you get for it?

jasonm

I hate to say it and I gotta be careful here. But if they use the line \”we want dedicated students\” to justify the long term contract then I would find another school.

How do you know if you will be dedicated until you try it. Usually it takes about a month to 6 months to know if you will really like it and stick to it. This goes for any art/system, not just krav.

Also, most schools will let you try a class or two, but even then you might not know if it is for you or not. imo

djhartm

For either plan, the 3-month month-to-month, or the 1-year contract, you can take any class any time.

My wife & I were able to take 2 free classes, which was nice, but still not enough to know if you want to stick with something for a year given the price. But thats not really the point.

She wound up joining Bally’s Fitness for $29 a month (with a $75 initiation fee), for a 3 year contract. But…. Bally’s is a huge health club with suana, showers, & tons of equipment.

rich-f

Re: Rates & long-term contracts.

What part of the country are you in?

That is private lesson pricing.

djhartm

Re: Rates & long-term contracts.

quote \”rich f\:

What part of the country are you in?

That is private lesson pricing.

San Francisco – East Bay.

kpalena

I was kind of put off by the long term contract, but in reality it keeps me motivated. I am paying no matter what.

dkst

There isn’t a contract that can’t be broken. Most contracts for health clubs or that sort of thing have an out. Most of the time if you notify them that you will be leaving you can get out of the contract.

Besides that, cash is king, have you asked them the price for cash each month?

bradm

This topic has been on the forum a few times before. First let me say $758.00, two people for 6-months is rediculious. I wouldn’t pay it either. But, I’m not opposed to long term contracts. In fact they have been very beneficial for me. In 1992 my family moved to Marietta, GA. My son, two daughtrer’s and my self had started Taekwondo about 6-months or so earlier. At our new home in Marietta, we enrolled at a ATA school close to home. After a couple months I signed my son and myself up for a \”master’s\” contract — for 5-years. Total cost was about $3000.00.

What did we get? We could go to as many classes as we wanted that fit our belt rank or lower, reduced testing fees, reduced equipment/uniform fees, free seminars, free private lesson once a week, and some other non-important things. Plus my whole family could use their fittness center. Now I know some are saying $3000.00 – damn are you crazy? But at the end of the 5-year contract I could renew the contract for a year for $135.00 for both my son and I. ($135.00 for a whole year, two people) I renewed my contract every year since then for the same price – $135.00.

About 4 years ago the school started their Krav program. I immediately jumped on it. It required a contract too, but only 6-months and my monthly fee was $45.00 for Krav. That is pretty low and the reason I got that low price was because I had been an active member of their Taekwondo program, under contract, with them since 1992. And the Krav training I got there was great. Then my bubble got bursted when I moved to Central Florida. I continued Krav here for a few months, but felt the training was inadequate so I quit. Bummer!

Some people have posted here that if a school wants an expensive long term contract- don’t go there – find another school. That’s a good point, but not that easy in every case. If your in an area where it’s the only game in town, what are you going to do. Or if another school is too far away, what do you do. You either don’t train in Krav or you pay the asking price.

bradm

Oh, someone said there’s not a contract that can be broken. That may be true, but you might just have to hire a Philidelphia lawyer 😮

When we lived in Georgia, my wife was a member of LA Fitness. When we were about to move to Central Florida, she asked to end her contract. Well, all hell broke loose. They plain refused. They told her they have facilities all over the country and they would forward her contract to the closest to our new home. There aren’t any close (reasonably) to where we live. I took several calls to managers, the manager’s manager’s and (you get the point), calls and a letter to the district office. This took several weeks and in the mean time, we were still paying her monthly fees.

anonymous

758$ for three months? 😯 And I thought Bas’s new place was expensive….

threeknees

$758 for 2 ppl for 3 months? Sounds a bit out there, but I’m not in the same state.

Here in D/FW TX, we’re paying less than $200 a month, and that’s for a family of 4… unlimited classes. I’ve had some people tell me this is outrageous, but we think it’s a fair price, and we’re thrilled with what we’re getting for the $$.

emil

may be my math is off, but this comes out 126 a month, right?
    for example in dc, many gyms are higher than that, and you’re just paying to attend and use the stupid machines. in new york the prices for gyms are even higher than that.
    here is the thing, ultimately, KM schools are private businesses, their product is the instruction. when i buy a car or a house, I pay the market rate. you can’t blame them for wanting to make a living. where is it written that self defense must be offered for free?
    if you really want to learn, but can’t afford it, may be you can barter your services. our school has done that for students and it’s worked out well. i know other places that get students to clean the mats for training there for free. finally, if i can’t afford something, i just don’t buy it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: