Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Real-Life Fight Videos on the Web

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    guerriere

My apologies to anyone who has seen this before, but hey it’s a new forum! I stumbled across a list of fight videos on the web and I thought people here might find them interesting. I’ve seen about half of them and they really give a sense of what untrained fighters are like! There’s a link there to a Ramon Dekker video, but the last time I tried to view it the link was dead. Quite a few of the links are dead, but the ones that work are worth a look. It’s encouraging to see that things I’ve learned in a short time really would apply to real-life situations. Hardly anybody in these videos knows what they’re doing, though! Sometimes it’s pretty funny.

http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=24711

Warning: this link is to a thread at another forum and the way it’s written is pretty offensive. The videos are offensive too, but that shouldn’t surprise you!

angryangel

I had to vote awesome – but with the disclaimer that only in the context of a valuable training aid. You get to see the ugly, dirty nature of a street fight, some of the technical elements that may, may not, or should be there and get a feel for how your training might help you react in similar circumstances.

guerriere

That was my feeling about it too — I’ve never gotten into watching fights for the heck of it. It’s only been since starting krav that I can watch them at all, and I’m just looking at what the techniques are. It’s amazing how much shirt pulling there is. A few days after I discovered this thread one of my classmates ripped my shirt! It hasn’t happened before or since. Spooky!

The only one of these videos that really disturbed me was the mother fighting in front of her kids, and the kids didn’t seem to find it unusual.

b-duke

The videos depict the two most common type of responses offered by both attacker and defender: The sloppy, overhand right. If effective the attacker then kicks at his downed victim. If not, a grappling struggle ensues. Given this observation, your best bang for the buck is to dedicate your earliest training regime towards thwarting these two types of assaults. It is apparent that mastery of a few \”techniques\” and total commital with a pre-emptive strike will serve you better then trying to work on a vast array of counter measures.

simhamukha

I only had time to look at the beginnings of a few of them so no vote. But I am amazed at the time spent posturing before any hitting actually starts. It seems it would have been easy for any of the participants to say okay, whatever, and walk away. I have a new level of interest in verbal de-escalation strategies.

johnwhitman

Simha’s post is interesting to me because I had a (nearly) opposite reaction after watching the video of the skateboard punk. That guy is exactly the reason I started learning to fight years ago. It is a simple fact that while most conflicts can be de-escalated (and personally I don’t think you need extensive training to de-escalate) there are just some people who go out looking for a fight. He was going to fight someone whether they used verbal self defense or not.

Mind you, I’ve gone through verbal self defense training, I’ve learned to teach it, and we’re about to offer another round of it in our school. So I’m not arguing AGAINST it totally. I’m just saying that video like the skateboarder reinforces my belief that you must learn to fight.

anonymous

I’d love to watch them, but I don’t have DSL. Guess I’m outta luck! 😥

keeiii

I think anyone who trains in any martial art should watch these. So much to learn from these. Almost all are wild rights followed by more wild rights. Unless they are leftyís. When my son was 10 yrs old, he got into an argument with a friend who was know to be a fighter, the kid took a wild right swing at my sons head. At that time he was in karate for 5 yrs. My son did a simple sidestep with a rising block and blocked the punch. The kid then ran away. Funny thing is with Krav Maga he would have blocked, countered at the same time probably striking first with his own right punch followed by a elbow to the jaw then he would give him a few hard knee strikeís to the stomach and head.
    Ya gotta love Krav Maga

guerriere

GK, see if a public library near you has their computers set up for videos! They’re worth seeing.

About the right-handedness — I sometimes annoy the crap out of my partner when we call out combos. I’ll call out a bunch of jabs in a row rather than the fancy stuff because I figure if they hurt themselves in real life it would probably be their dominant side, and their non-dominant side needs more conditioning. I know mine does! I’m extremely right-sided, and defending vs. someone else’s dominant side using my non-dominant side is tough.

Words-to-action in these videos — whoa! so much variability! I’m kind of mouthy sometimes and I’ve flipped the bird in the car a few times. I suppose we all just assume everyone else is operating on the same level of words and gestures until they show us otherwise.

The other thing that struck me is how little the bystanders did. Some of the fights were set up, but still… You really can’t count on someone else coming to your aid. They don’t want to get hurt, and if they happen onto it they wouldn’t know which person to help. I bet a woman fighting a man could count on help, but if another woman attacks a woman it’s just a catfight to the audience, erm… bystanders.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: