Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rczer

I just turned 41 and as a birthday present, I signed on for KM.

The short question – What is the best way for someone my age to quickly and efficiently recover from high intensity KM classes?

The long version – I enjoy lifting weights and have done so for a long time. My cardio activity has been low to moderate for most of my life. I signed on to KM because 1) I took a class several years ago and really enjoyed it, just was not in a position to do it long term, and 2) my daily routine for the last several years has been stand, sit, walk forward, push, and pull. I believed that I wasn’t doing enough movements that worked stabilizers, and that if I kept this routine, old age would overtake me sooner than I want.

In class, I’m doing the drills and routines. I learned quickly to pace myself! However, the issue is, I’ll punch a bag and suddenly feel pain along the tendons/muscles along my arm and elbow. Attempting to go to the gym will only aggravate the pain. Also, various cardio workouts (such as running) are starting to do a number on my knees. Standing up is becoming challenging, especially if I’m on the floor. A friend of mine said the knee issue was probably arthritis.

I’ve gotten a compression brace for my knees, and may get one for the elbows.

However, if the pain is too intense, I find that I am taking up to a week off from KM and even the gym to recover. This is counter-productive to results I was getting even before I started KM.

I’ve made a parallel from KM to other High Intensity routines, such as Crossfit. I am trying to find out what they do to recover.

If I was in my early 20s, all I would need is a night of sleep. But obviously Age is waking me up to various realities.

Any advice is appreciated. For a man in his 40s who is moving from general weightlifting into High Intensity training of KM, what should I do to speed recovery and mitigate injury?

Thank you!

chiro-pete

A good massage therapist could help with your aches and pains.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

a lot of people have found relief with a product called “Arnica” in gel form. Its available on Amazon. I use it even before I train on trouble spots and bruises.

For recovery after an intense workout I’ve had good success with something called contrasting showers. Here is how they work… do them when you are done with your work out. Do a cold shower for about 3 to 6 minutes then go to a hot temperature in the shower for another 3 to 6 minutes do this several times and it will help circulate more blood in and out of the tissues you just broke down during your workout. The key to this being successful is for you to always start with a cold shower, contrary to popular belief colder temperatures are better for inflammation, pain and recovery then hot. Heat will inflame the tissue more. The broken tissues cannot begin to heal until the inflammation goes down. Also make sure your diet is on track, proteins rich in branched chain amino acids such as a good whey protein is good to consume after an intense workout. Stay well hydrated and I advocate throwing in a good mix of antioxidants such as high doses of vitamin C vitamin E and essential fatty acids, those will help neutralize the free radicals you just introduced into your body from the intense exercise. And of course make sure you’re getting plenty of sleep.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: