Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Law Enforcement & Military Resources on Krav Maga Official Use in Law Enforcement

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello!

I am a graduate student in Criminal Justice, and I am writing a paper proposing a new model of police training in the United States for my Contemporary Criminal Justice class. I am proposing that martial arts training, in general, be a requirement as part of police training. As part of my paper, I am attempting to find the martial arts training used in other countries so I can contrast other methods with the current U.S. method, and support my ideas of improving the training. I am having some difficulty finding resources showing how Krav Maga is officially used as part of law enforcement training. Could anyone here point me in the right direction for resources that explain how Krav Maga is used in official law enforcement training?

Thank You!

don

Re: Resources on Krav Maga Official Use in Law Enforcement

quote huiguangmandy:

Hello!

I am a graduate student in Criminal Justice, and I am writing a paper proposing a new model of police training in the United States for my Contemporary Criminal Justice class.

What is the “old model” of police training and what is your proposed “new model”? How much experience do you have working in law enforcement? How much experience/knowledge do you have of the wide variety of law enforcement training currently available? What perceived problems or shortcomings are you attempting address?

I am proposing that martial arts training, in general, be a requirement as part of police training.

I would guess that some kind of martial arts or defensive tactics is currently a pretty common/standard part of your average academy curriculum.

As part of my paper, I am attempting to find the martial arts training used in other countries so I can contrast other methods with the current U.S. method, and support my ideas of improving the training.

Remember that other countries and their police forces are usually operating under widely differing sets of rules of engagement – you will likely be comparing apples to oranges.

I am having some difficulty finding resources showing how Krav Maga is officially used as part of law enforcement training. Could anyone here point me in the right direction for resources that explain how Krav Maga is used in official law enforcement training?

You may need to rephrase or clarify the question. Quite a few US LE agencies use KM as part (or whole) of their defensive tactics/use of force training.

Thank You!

Replies embedded.

I’m fine with the topic of my paper actually, my professor has already approved the topic and everything. I’m a 4.0 student the ideas in the paper is not what i need help on :D:. In this master’s program, its more about theory rather than practice, so I don’t need to write about something that works or necessarily makes sense I need to write about something that I have research to support, and also has a basis in the theories of criminology. The “old model” is just the standard defense tactics that are taught to U.S. police, and the “new model” is adding martial arts to the curriculum instead. From what I am finding, martial arts is not officially used in any united states police academy curriculum. My professor is under the same impression since he approved my model as being “new”. The shortcomings my model addresses is the fact that research suggests 88% of officers are dissatisfied with the level of training in defense tactics that they receive in the police academy and do not feel it prepared them for the “real world”.

What I was asking for was links to sites, articles, anything to law enforcement agencies that do use KM in their defensive training, and actually state that it is KM they are using. I’ve been searching online, but I am finding a lot of KM schools that say they have law enforcement training, instead of finding law enforcement places that say they use KM training. I know they’re out there, I just need to have the resources in my paper to prove it.

co611

Most law enforcement agencies recieve their DT training at regional or state level training facilities where everyone is taught the same type of self defense. If you want to know what they are teaching try contacting those facilities. Alot of agencies do not provide any additional training from what there recruits learn in the academy, to much time and not enough money….

Our recruits learn PPCT in the police academy and then we provide them with 50+ hours of Krav during our inhouse academy. Feel free to PM and I will try to answer some of your questions.

dave

As far as the “current model” of instruction for my paper, I’m probably going to focus on my home state Ohio because from what I can tell from research, and from officers that I know, there is no additional DT training funded by the major agencies here after the police academy. I’m guessing the time and money factor is a major reason for this.

It would be great if I could get a link to a website for what you guys do! Thanks!

don

quote huiguangmandy:

I’m fine with the topic of my paper actually, my professor has already approved the topic and everything. I’m a 4.0 student the ideas in the paper is not what i need help on :D:. In this master’s program, its more about theory rather than practice, so I don’t need to write about something that works or necessarily makes sense I need to write about something that I have research to support, and also has a basis in the theories of criminology.

If your paper doesn’t have to make sense or be meaningful, I guess that makes it much easier to write. Unless you do an intensive study, I would recommend that you narrow the focus of your topic. LE training varies greatly across the US and then to compare it to other countries’ LE training is, IMO, way way too broad. Not sure what DT training has to do with “theories of criminology”.

The “old model” is just the standard defense tactics that are taught to U.S. police, and the “new model” is adding martial arts to the curriculum instead. From what I am finding, martial arts is not officially used in any united states police academy curriculum. My professor is under the same impression since he approved my model as being “new”. The shortcomings my model addresses is the fact that research suggests 88% of officers are dissatisfied with the level of training in defense tactics that they receive in the police academy and do not feel it prepared them for the “real world”.

You might end up arguing semantics. “old model” “standard defense tactics” “new model” “martial arts” etc. You definition of martial arts and mine and the next guy’s are sure to differ. What is Your definition of martial arts? Some people’s definition of martial arts only includes people bowing to each other while wearing “pajamas”. Some people would argue that KM is not a “martial art”. My own “definition” of martial art encompasses much much more than a bunch of asian guys jumping around a room and kiaing. I would argue that any defensive tactics system/curriculum IS “martial arts” since it teaches you things to use during combat (e.g. a fight).

IMO, you and your professor have not done enough research and probably are operating under an erroneous assumption(s) BUT, again if you don’t have to make sense, I guess it doesn’t really matter. My department is touted to be the largest sheriff’s department in the world – top three in CA and likely top 5-6 in the US for sworn manpower. Being a defensive tactics/use of force instructor for my department, I can guarantee you that KM and other martial arts are being taught in our academy as well as for advanced inservice training. I can also guarantee you that LAPD (top three in CA, likely top 5-6 in US) also incorporates a variety of martial arts in their defensive tactics curriculum as well and I’m pretty sure that CHP is the same.

Also, statistics/percentages don’t mean a whole lot. 88% of officers? I’d sure like to see the study on that one. Maybe 88 out of 100 recruits were polled from one agency. All too often, people, especially the media, take a small, localized, poll or survey and then erroneously extrapolate the data to reflect a global “truth”.

What I was asking for was links to sites, articles, anything to law enforcement agencies that do use KM in their defensive training, and actually state that it is KM they are using. I’ve been searching online, but I am finding a lot of KM schools that say they have law enforcement training, instead of finding law enforcement places that say they use KM training. I know they’re out there, I just need to have the resources in my paper to prove it.

responses embedded.

Also IMO, since your paper doesn’t need to make sense and since accuracy of information/data doesn’t seem to be a necessity, it sounds to me like you can just go ahead and make up whatever you want – your professor is probably going to buy off on it anyway… :dunno:

Btw, you are correct in one sense – budget/lack of budget (which directly influences available time) usually has the biggest impact on Training (quality, availability, frequency, etc). IMO, LE personnel do not get enough training as a “general rule” – i.e. you can never have enough training/experience/skill/education/etc…

i’d give you the link to the study but its in a journal and if you aren’t with a University you have to pay. If you’re really interested, I can send the PDF to you in an email attachment. The name of the article is

An analysis of police officer satisfaction with defense and control tactics
    Robert J. Kaminski
    National Institute of Justice, Washington DC, USA, and
    Jeffrey A. Martin
    San Jose Police Department, San Jose, California, USA

I can honestly say that I agree with you that this entire assignment does not fall in line with the purpose of the class I am taking, but that is the nature of college. My major is in crime analysis so I really never have any intention of being an officer or training officers in anything except possibly teaching college courses in criminology related topics. You have had professors and classes that do not make sense toward your degree havent you?

Without a doubt I could make up things and my professor would buy it, but I’m not like that. I always use credible research studies that have found scientific evidence of whatever is being discussed. Unfortunately, just someone saying “I guarantee we use….” isn’t good enough for resources on a master’s degree level paper. I’m leaving krav out of my entire paper because I can’t find reliable resources to incorporate the information into my paper. I guess thanks for trying to help, but arguing the purpose of my paper was not what I was looking for. Its just an assignment where research is used to support a point, its not going to change how things are actually done, and as long as the paper is logical, I will get a good grade.

don

quote huiguangmandy:

i’d give you the link to the study but its in a journal and if you aren’t with a University you have to pay. If you’re really interested, I can send the PDF to you in an email attachment. The name of the article is

An analysis of police officer satisfaction with defense and control tactics
    Robert J. Kaminski
    National Institute of Justice, Washington DC, USA, and
    Jeffrey A. Martin
    San Jose Police Department, San Jose, California, USA

Thanks, no email necessary.

I can honestly say that I agree with you that this entire assignment does not fall in line with the purpose of the class I am taking, but that is the nature of college. My major is in crime analysis so I really never have any intention of being an officer or training officers in anything except possibly teaching college courses in criminology related topics. You have had professors and classes that do not make sense toward your degree havent you?

As an EE dropout, I’d say my classes were applicable but I have had professors who I wouldn’t have given tenure to, if I was the powers that be…

Without a doubt I could make up things and my professor would buy it, but I’m not like that. I always use credible research studies that have found scientific evidence of whatever is being discussed. Unfortunately, just someone saying “I guarantee we use….” isn’t good enough for resources on a master’s degree level paper. I’m leaving krav out of my entire paper because I can’t find reliable resources to incorporate the information into my paper. I guess thanks for trying to help, but arguing the purpose of my paper was not what I was looking for. Its just an assignment where research is used to support a point, its not going to change how things are actually done, and as long as the paper is logical, I will get a good grade.

FWIW, I wasn’t arguing the purpose of the your paper per se, but rather the accuracy or “intelligence” of the subject matter. Good luck.

kirsten

Just as a thought, most DT programs have cirriculum that is based on “Traditonal Martial Arts”. The fact is we are no longer battling bad guys on horseback that are attacking my villiage…. I need “Reality Based Training” specific to the dynamics of American LE and not traditional methods tweaked and forced in an attempt to fit. I would argue against the use of traditional methods currently being used by agencies in favor for realistic training against a variety of situations, weapons and even multiple assailants.

The LE budget is shrinking and subsequently so is training. With government the cheapest bid gets the work and you will get what you pay for. Administrators don’t always care about the loss of life, but the bottom line instead. This is where our disatisfaction likely stems from. The 40 hours of DT training we get here in the academy is just not enough. This is where the issue starts not just what is done with the training we do manage to get.

However when it comes to training, you take what you can get and make the most out of it. Your best bet is to follow what you have already been told, which is to contact the lead DT instructor for you state LE academy.

Good luck and I hope you get both an excellent grade and are able to shed some light on this issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: